Feverfew And Serotonin?

nostalgic

I'm trying everything under the sun that can reduce my serotonin levels, and the only thing I've found that works so far is riboflavin. It's not a miracle product by any means but it does make a difference, in my case at least.

I've found the following quote:

"...feverfew extracts are not only potent inhibitors of serotonin release from platelets..."

Can someone please explain to me if this will reduce the serotonin levels temporarily, or if it will result in lower serotonins even after its had its effect? For example, cyproheptadine and famotidine only reduces the effect of serotonin while they're active, and doesn't reduce the serotonin levels.

alywest

Where did you get that quote from?

That would be an interesting question to ask on the KMUD show Ask the Herb Doctors:

1-800-KMUDRAD
7:30-8PM PST

Constatine

I do recall a study that showed lower serotonin with feverfew over time. But the most reliable way to lower serotonin is by improving gut health.

OP
N

nostalgic

I do recall a study that showed lower serotonin with feverfew over time. But the most reliable way to lower serotonin is by improving gut health.
I've had IBS for 5 years and it's impossible to get it under control. Sounds good about the feverfew though, can anyone concur?

alywest

Apparently feverfew is estrogenic so I wouldn't use it. :(

Found on multiple websites. Check out adaptogenic herbs including ashwaganda.

Mauritio

I'm trying everything under the sun that can reduce my serotonin levels, and the only thing I've found that works so far is riboflavin. It's not a miracle product by any means but it does make a difference, in my case at least.

I've found the following quote:

"...feverfew extracts are not only potent inhibitors of serotonin release from platelets..."

Can someone please explain to me if this will reduce the serotonin levels temporarily, or if it will result in lower serotonins even after its had its effect? For example, cyproheptadine and famotidine only reduces the effect of serotonin while they're active, and doesn't reduce the serotonin levels.
How much B2 do you take to lower serotonin ?

Elephanto

Apparently feverfew is estrogenic so I wouldn't use it. :(

Found on multiple websites. Check out adaptogenic herbs including ashwaganda.

Feverfew inhibits aromatase here :
Natural Products as Aromatase Inhibitors
What's your source on its estrogenic effect ? Some phytoestrogens exclusively trigger ER-Beta which has a net anti-estrogenic effect.

Ashwaghanda is actually estrogenic and is shown to significantly increase Serotonin levels too. It is one of the herbs that I think, if there are any net benefits, it is when used very occasionnally or in very short protocols. Feverfew is much gentler and adapted to a more regular usage imo, and I've never noticed an estrogenic or pro-Nitric Oxide effect (2 properties that many herbs have) from using it. The ideal use for me seems to be the day after a night of drinking (which I haven't done in many months, alcohol sucks) when Serotonin will be upregulated. This is when I feel the instinct to take Feverfew, having known what it made me feel like in the past and that it would fix my current situation. Baking soda or carbonated water have been pretty effective too. I don't think it's either perfectly safe to use daily (mentions of rebound migraines, maybe platelet-related) and it should be seen as a crutch while a more sound and physiological approach to minimize Serotonin should make it unrequired most of the time.

Ashwaghanda increasing Serotonin and Estrogen levels :
Effect of Withinia Somnifera and Shilajit on Alcohol Addiction in Mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal on Sex Hormone and Gonadotropin Levels in Addicted Male Rats

Last edited:

Mauritio

What's your source on its estrogenic effect ? Some phytoestrogens exclusively trigger ER-Beta which has a net anti-estrogenic effect.

Ashwaghanda is actually estrogenic and is shown to significantly increase Serotonin levels too. It is one of the herbs that I think, if there are any net benefits, it is when used very occasionnally or in very short protocols. Feverfew is much gentler and adapted to a more regular usage imo, and I've never noticed an estrogenic or pro-Nitric Oxide effect (2 properties that many herbs have) from using it. The ideal use for me seems to be the day after a night of drinking (which I haven't done in many months, alcohol sucks) when Serotonin will be upregulated. This is when I feel the instinct to take Feverfew, having known what it made me feel like in the past and that it would fix my current situation. Baking soda or carbonated water have been pretty effective too. I don't think it's either perfectly safe to use daily (mentions of rebound migraines, maybe platelet-related) and it should be seen as a crutch while a more sound and physiological approach to minimize Serotonin should make it unrequired most of the time.

Effect of Withinia Somnifera and Shilajit on Alcohol Addiction in Mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal on Sex Hormone and Gonadotropin Levels in Addicted Male Rats
Thanks! Do you know the half life of Feverfew or could it be taken every other day ?

alywest

Honestly, it's been a while since I posted that and I have no idea where I got that information, so I'm sorry I wrote it since I can't back it up. But I know that I read it somewhere or I wouldn't have posted it, however, imho all herbs could have estrogenic qualities if not taken in proper doses. An example of that would be milk thistle: fine if you take it in smaller doses but can be estrogenic in large quantities. So take what I wrote with a grain of salt. I wouldn't take ashwaganda, either, now that I read what you posted. I'm currently interested in mistletoe as it has been shown to be beneficial for endometriosis and many people have anecdotal evidence that it lowers blood pressure and can even treat cancers with estrogen receptors. Someone on this forum posted that feverfew raised their pulse rate fairly significantly which could be an issue for someone who already has a fast pulse and high bp. So it's always smart to be cautious with any herb, even if it promises to be the answer to all of the world's problems.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals