Ferritin & Dopamine?

Milan555

Is there a link between ferritin and dopamine levels? I have low ferritin at 17 right now (range 38 - 338). I also feel I have low dopamine levels.

Does raising iron levels to normal help with dopamine? Anyone have experience with this?

Ableton

if you are anemic it will interfere with your thyroid function which can not help your dopamine either

eating liver should be the safest way to get your ferritin up a bit

Estradiol

What makes you think you have low dopamine? It's not something predictable like hypothyrodism.

Dino D

Who cares about ferritin, it tells you NOTHING about iron status.
ReallY?
Can you explain, i have some posts and dicussions here about iron, its a big deal for me, but i dont take iron because my ferritin is above 200?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Is there a link between ferritin and dopamine levels? I have low ferritin at 17 right now (range 38 - 338). I also feel I have low dopamine levels.

Does raising iron levels to normal help with dopamine? Anyone have experience with this?
You should get a full iron panel (including ceruloplasmin, hemoglobin and hematocrit) to really see what's going on.
Iron is needed for creating dopamine, but often times anemia can be corrected with copper. Liver is very rich in copper as well as iron, so eating that can quickly correct anemia.
Oysters are also a great source of copper and iron, which is more balanced IMO compared to liver.

To create dopamine, you also need BH4, phenylalanine, tyrosine, B6, B3 and vitamin C.
The-interlinked-folate-and-methionine-cycles-Dietary-folate-enters-the-folate-cycle-and.png

The folate cycle requires B2, B3, B6, folate and B12 and the folate cycle helps to replenish BH4. Free radicals destroy BH4, so keeping oxidative stress and inflammation low can be helpful.

So basically, eat protein (red meat, oysters, liver, kidney, etc.) and lots of micronutrient and anti-oxidant dense food to supply all the cofactors.

magnesiumania

Only a full.iron panel with ceruloplasmin will reveal how iron circulate. How much you store in ferritin or hemociderin dont give you much of an idea.

magnesiumania

B1 and vitamin A is also rewuired for ceruloplasmin sythesis. This protein drives copper/iron metabolism.

My ferritin is 12 as of last month and I feel awful. I read that a German doctor said that you can't lose weight unless your ferritin is at least 30. I have been struggling to lose weight for months with no luck! Is weight an issue for you?

magnesiumania

My ferritin is 12 as of last month and I feel awful. I read that a German doctor said that you can't lose weight unless your ferritin is at least 30. I have been struggling to lose weight for months with no luck! Is weight an issue for you?
What a load of utter nonsense. How did he even make that up? My best bet is that blue lights effect on Leptin is the most common mechanism in obesity.

tankasnowgod

Who cares about ferritin, it tells you NOTHING about iron status.

On the contrary, it's the best marker for overall iron status in the body.

As for who cares about ferritin as a marker, long time iron researchers like E.D. Weinberg and Francisco Fachinni do. I don't know what you are basing your comment on.

Last edited:

magnesiumania

On the insight Morley Robbins share. To make sense of it: iron has to circulate and this is dependent on ceruloplasmin. Ferritin is not a direct reflection of the circulating machiery. Thus us how i understood it for years.

Morley Robbins is not the end all be all of health information. If you question or say anything negative about his 'holy grail' supplement routine, he threatens legal action. Actually, I do agree with him on a lot of things but his narcissist personality makes me avoid him.

On the contrary, it's the best marker for overall iron status in the body.

As for who cares about ferritin as a marker, long time iron researchers like E.D. Weinberg and Francisco Fachinni do. I don't know what you are basing your comment on.

I agree with you Tanksnowgod

magnesiumania

I stick to Morley as he actually makes alot of sense. I never considered him narcissistic but rather a generous dude that may apear very serious about stuff and invested in his ideas.

tankasnowgod

On the insight Morley Robbins share. To make sense of it: iron has to circulate and this is dependent on ceruloplasmin. Ferritin is not a direct reflection of the circulating machiery. Thus us how i understood it for years.

Well, it doesn't even appear you understand Morley Robbins position. Apparently, you are simply using the title of this post-

Iron Toxicity Post #55: Ferritin is NOTHING, Hemosiderin is EVERYTHING!

Even if you agree with his theory, this completely contradicts your original statement that Ferritin tells you NOTHING about iron status. It's clear, even from this post, he thinks it does. Obviously, his only idea is that lower equals better.

I haven't read much of Morley Robbins, but he seems to base the idea on that post on very little, apparently a single article (or study) he found with a Google search, and a conversation with Douglas Kell. I think Weinberg is a much more solid resource, as he was a dedicated iron researcher for for most of his career.

magnesiumania

Youre soon there bro. You see, ferritin can be low while your iron circulation is whack also. He seem to base it on one article only because youre not familiar with whatever else he would base it on lol. I should have said ferritin say next to nothing about iron.

magnesiumania

Im not saying Morleys understanding is superior, only that its what made sense to me so far and Weinbergs ideas seem to contradict with Morley's so id have to look further into his work.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals