Fermented wheat germ as cancer treatment

Philomath

STUDY LINK

We validated that A250, a highly purified fraction of fermented wheat germ extract (FWGE), increases the carbon flux into the mitochondria, the expression of key elements of the Krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS). The increased respiratory chain activity is related to the mitochondria’s ability to release cytochrome c into the cytosol, which triggers the apoptotic cascade. The 68% tumor growth inhibitory effect observed in the murine melanoma study is related to this effect,
This study is significant, as it shows that a highly concentrated form of FWGE is an effective agent that increases normal mitochondrial functionality.

Conclusion
Here we demonstrate that Fraction A250, a highly concentrated form of the active compounds of FWGE, changes the acidic environment by reducing lactic acid production and reprograms cellular metabolism away from the Warburg effect to increase mitochondrial carbon flux and oxidation. We also show that A250 increased the permeability of the mitochondrial outer membrane, leading to the release of cytochrome c into the cytosol. Cytochrome c has a significant role in intrinsic, mitochondria-mediated apoptosis, and it amplifies apoptotic signals.

in addition to initiating apoptosis through mitochondria, A250 has an active role in nutrient deprivation in cancer cells. As our results indicate, the effect of A250 on mitochondrial function reduces tumor growth in vivo and extends OS. In the 14-day treatment, the mice did not show any signs of toxicity, and pathological examination of the liver tissue validated that A250 had no toxic effect on normal tissue.

Cancer has been considered as Mitochondriopathy. Therefore, restoration of mitochondrial biology in a way that activates the Krebs’ cycle and manage apoptotic machinery might result in a breakthrough in the field of cancer medicine. One of those approach is that Schwartz et al., and enhancing apoptosis.

Have you tried fermented wheat germ Philomath? Considering Ray Peat rotted his teeth out with wheat germ, is fermented wheat germ safer?

Inaut

Vitamin e and policosanols accounting for benefits??

I just noticed that the "immunity packs" that my husband's homeopath prescribed for him has fermented yeast in it!

Attachments

• 20220118_170059.jpg
    20220118_170059.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220118_170007.jpg
    20220118_170007.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 16
OP
Philomath

Philomath

@Rinse & rePeat I have never eaten or used wheat germ. I ran across this article when perusing the Jane McLelland “how to starve cancer” Facebook site. My history with cancer keeps me interested in articles and articles like these. Yes, Dr. Peat lost some teeth from his days using Wheat Germ and making wheat germ cookies! But I think the phytic acid in the wheat germ may have been the culprit. The phytic acid (also known as inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) binds with minerals like calcium, exacerbating tooth decay.

@Inaut, I think you may be right.
Sprouting and lactic acid fermentation of white sorghum and maize may almost completely degrade the phytic acid. Several methods can be used to reduce the phytic acid content of foods, including soaking, sprouting and fermentation.

Wheat germ oil has 45% (15mg) of the RDA for vitamin e in one teaspoon!
I’m guessing that’s what Dr. Peat was after. It’s also a decent source of copper too!

I wonder if the pro respiratory/metabolism effect, as described in this study, is due to its reduction of lactic acid/lactate rather than its antioxidant effect?

Last edited:
@Rinse & rePeat I have never eaten or used wheat germ. I ran across this article when perusing the Jane McLelland “how to starve cancer” Facebook site. My history with cancer keeps me interested in articles and articles like these. Yes, Dr. Peat lost some teeth from his days using Wheat Germ and making wheat germ cookies! But I think the phytic acid in the wheat germ may have been the culprit. The phytic acid (also known as inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) binds with minerals like calcium, exacerbating tooth decay.

@Inaut, I think you may be right.
Sprouting and lactic acid fermentation of white sorghum and maize may almost completely degrade the phytic acid. Several methods can be used to reduce the phytic acid content of foods, including soaking, sprouting and fermentation.

Wheat germ oil has 45% (15mg) of the RDA for vitamin e in one teaspoon!
I’m guessing that’s what Dr. Peat was after. It’s also a decent source of copper too!

I wonder if the pro respiratory/metabolism effect, as described in this study, is due to its reduction of lactic acid/lactate rather than its antioxidant effect?
Thanks for bolstering my faith in this new product Philomath. Did your history with cancer come with a cure? Feel free to ignore me if you don't want to share, I will understand.

burtlancast

In Hungary, they managed to make this accepted as a supportive cancer treatment; it's sold in pharmacies over the counter under the name AVEMAR.

It's actually based on the discoveries of Szent Gyorgyi.

Anybody can do it himself.

burtlancast

I think the phytic acid in the wheat germ may have been the culprit. The phytic acid (also known as inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) binds with minerals like calcium, exacerbating tooth decay.

If you google IP6, you'll see it's actually an exceptional cancer treatment by itself.

The idea of phytic acid being an anti nutrient is just a thought, as in nature and foods it never comes in it's pure, unbound state but is always linked to individual cations and thus cannot rob the body of it's nutrients since it already carries these nutrients with it.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Thanks for bolstering my faith in this new product Philomath. Did your history with cancer come with a cure? Feel free to ignore me if you don't want to share, I will understand.
@Rinse & rePeat, it will be three years in May since the surgery to remove my salivary gland tumor. One of my oncologists said (before radiation) that I could have been “surgically cured”. That’s what I believe, and what I tell myself... that I was surgically cured. However, between the surgery, radiation, scar tissue, and the chunk of belly fat they replaced the gland with, there’s always something to cast doubt.
Since I’m not out of the woods yet, and cancer runs in the family, I’ll continue to “treat” it, and find ways to improve my metabolism.
Thank you for asking Rinse

OP
Philomath

Philomath

If you google IP6, you'll see it's actually an exceptional cancer treatment by itself.

The idea of phytic acid being an anti nutrient is just a thought, as in nature and foods it never comes in it's pure, unbound state but is always linked to individual cations and thus cannot rob the body of it's nutrients since it already carries these nutrients with it.
@burtlancast it’s great to hear from you! I always appreciate your insight. I’ve had this bottle of IP6 for two years - I’ve maybe taken 3or 4 pills. I may have read on the forum that there was reason to avoid it. I will definitely take another look!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 5
OP
Philomath

Philomath

2D19F004-ACBA-457A-B959-75AEDA6C683E.png

This is what they used in the study I posted

burtlancast

@Rinse & rePeat, it will be three years in May since the surgery to remove my salivary gland tumor. One of my oncologists said (before radiation) that I could have been “surgically cured”. That’s what I believe, and what I tell myself... that I was surgically cured. However, between the surgery, radiation, scar tissue, and the chunk of belly fat they replaced the gland with, there’s always something to cast doubt.
Since I’m not out of the woods yet, and cancer runs in the family, I’ll continue to “treat” it, and find ways to improve my metabolism.
Thank you for asking Rinse
Shewf! Thank you for sharing Philomath. I don't know if you have seen my thread on my husband's cancer, but I know the worry you are feeling. The radiation from x-rays and CT-scans is worry enough, knowing what Ray Peat has said about them and cancer. I feel like we are digging ourselves out of a hole undoing all the radiation before we can even get to the cancer. I don't know how far along my husband's cancer is, because they will keep at it with all the invasive stuff if you let them, but we said enough is enough. So we are heeding Ray Peat's advice and "first do no harm". Like you we are going to assume cancer it always lurking and keep on it. I am glad you are in a good and healthy place, and glad we can learn from each other as we go along. Stay healthy my friend :)

OP
Philomath

Philomath

@burtlancast it’s great to hear from you! I always appreciate your insight. I’ve had this bottle of IP6 for two years - I’ve maybe taken 3or 4 pills. I may have read on the forum that there was reason to avoid it. I will definitely take another look!
@burtlancast, is the phosphate in the IP-6 (from calcium magnesium phytate) a problem? Should I take extra calcium with it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 8