Fermented Sourdough Bread Okay ?

uuy8778yyi

are fermented grains that have been soaked and used in bread okay ?

or are all grains, nuts seeds and legumes, off limits ?

tara

Welcome uuy8778yyi :welcome

You decide what is off limits for yourself.

Peat generally does not consider any seeds to be optimal food, including grains, nuts, and legumes, because they contain anti-metabolic PUFAs and other anti-digestive defensive chemicals, their protein is not in a very usable form, and they have a high phosphate: calcium ratio - he recommends more calcium than phosphate. He also generally favours sugars from fruit and milk etc over starch. For people with coeliac disease, it is usually worth avoiding wheat and gluten completely. Peat does not generally recommend eating a lot of fermented food.

That said, some are easier to digest and less problematic than others, and some people's systems are more able to withstand the disadvantages, and some people have more options to choose from. Soaking and sprouting does improve seeds. As starch goes, white rice has fewer downsides than other grains. Long-leavening or sour dough makes wheat flour more digestible. Eating beats starving.
Peat would not recommend eating grains, nuts, legumes or other seeds as a major part of your diet.

Some people here avoid all the seeds completely, some have a little rice or sour dough bread or oat porridge or goods made from masa harina etc now and then.

Many of us try to keep PUFA consumption as low as we can, which means avoiding most nuts etc.

Spokey

I think white flour sour dough is better than conventional bread, but people with histamine troubles might want to avoid it. I say white flour as it's lower in phosphate than whole wheat. Phosphorous cans be a problem in excess.

I've also come to believe whole grains are apt to destroy one's teeth if eaten in quantity. Soaking, sprouting and fermenting is supposed to ameliorate this problem, but it depends on the grain/method.

lindsay

I make my own sourdough bread with organic white flour (which should have a lower gluten content than conventional). I usually digest it as well as any other food (which isn't saying much because my digestion is not the best no matter what I eat). However, I try not to eat lots of it. A couple small slices per day when I make it, which is not super often.

Do what works best for you. If you want to make your own sourdough, I have a good recipe for a starter :)

OP
uuy8778yyi

uuy8778yyi

I have given up all grains and feel much better

going all the way with ray peat is the solution

not cutting corners and compromising

OP
uuy8778yyi

uuy8778yyi

although there are 2 exception on grains

white rice- low in pufa and generally acceptable although I find it inedible
highly refined white flour bread - just 3 ingredients like a ciabatta or french bread

Kray

I make my own sourdough bread with organic white flour (which should have a lower gluten content than conventional). I usually digest it as well as any other food (which isn't saying much because my digestion is not the best no matter what I eat). However, I try not to eat lots of it. A couple small slices per day when I make it, which is not super often.

Do what works best for you. If you want to make your own sourdough, I have a good recipe for a starter :)

Hi Lindsay,

I'd love to get your sourdough (starter) recipe!

I've been reading up on other threads regarding sourdough. I'm wanting to try making some bread, just for fun.

On another thread, Travis mentioned the benefits of having a multi-media bacteria starter for benefits of eating up all bad guys in the wheat/grain (maybe lacto + Aspergillus + ?).
Here is the link: https://raypeatforum.com/community/...bread-increase-lactic-acid.19128/#post-304479

Thanks!