Fermented Dairy Has Been A Staple Of My Diet, Causing Some Issues

I have been consuming yogurt everyday for a long time. I’m concerned about the lactic acid lately, and the probiotics having a negative impact.

Can anything be done to reduce lactic acid, or will time and refraining from fermented dairy bring things into balance?

I can go into further detail, it’s my first post so I’ll keep it short here.

Thanks.

cyclops

I consume a ton of greek yogurt, it is my main protein source, probably get 100 grams of protein a day from it.

I don't feel any negatives from it. Tastewise, I'd rather drink milk, but I could never get milk to work for me.

What negatives are you experiencing?

Peatful

I have been consuming yogurt everyday for a long time. I’m concerned about the lactic acid lately, and the probiotics having a negative impact.

Can anything be done to reduce lactic acid, or will time and refraining from fermented dairy bring things into balance?

I can go into further detail, it’s my first post so I’ll keep it short here.

Thanks.
My understanding is to offset with baking soda.
As you said, I personally would refrain from eating yoghurt or kefir etc.

OP
C
But do you experience some negative issues from it? What exactly?

I’ve got chronic bloating, lethargy-brain fog and frequent headaches. Never knew it could be the lactic acid til lately.
Also I cannot say if this is related but for about a year, I’ve developed histamine intolerance.

Amazoniac

Would Greek Yogurt be more like Milk or more like Cheese in regard to this?
More like cheese.
I'm guessing the study found such a marked decrease in choline because they were using dairy without fat. Animal fats set aside from vegetable fats because of their sucholine content, so some choline must be retained whenever there's animal fat. Part of choline in milk is freed, it might explain why not all choline is lost when removing fat from milk. Perhaps this way it serves as food for bacteria whereas in fats it's protected.

RatRancher

Herbal Therapy Is Equivalent to Rifaximin for the Treatment of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth

https://med.virginia.edu/ginutrition/wp-content/uploads/sites/199/2014/06/Parrish-September-15.pdf

There appears to be two types of lactic acid. D- and L-.
The D is created more by certain bactetia.
The Dr in the above link states thiamine 3x 500mg a day(intravenously) followed by 100mg a day for life.

I suspect lactic acid as a factor in many of my issues too. Thiamine deficiency may be the driving force in lactic acid issues, and maybe even lactose intolerance.

Owen B

You're getting bloating because of the gums that yogurt manufacturers use to engineer a pleasing texture (and I suppose to also increase volume.)

They're largely indigestible.

Also, there's an issue with the bacteria themselves. Haidut posted about the association of a widely used bacteria in yogurt that was implicated in pancreatic cancer. It was also thought that the bacteria got into the lymph.

After that post I stopped yogurt entirely and my digestion improved, as well as a chronic sore throat.

It was hard to give up yogurt. I had been eating it for years and it is a good source of protein. But I think its health benefits are very oversold.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals