Female- Sky high DHEA / Flipped Cortisol / low testosterone...so much more.

I'm.No.One

So hey, how's it going. This will be a long read, that's just who I am as a person LOL.

My body is basically shutting down after years of SEVERE chronic stress, like 14+ hour work days for years while living in a literal falling down mold infested house then a tent in the yard.

But hey, I did it. Bought us a real nice house on 40+ acres, gave my kids everything they could ever need. Yay!

But I'm pretty sure it's costing me my life.

Been here two years now, the new house. Moved in just before the year of 20 hit so stress remained (small business owner/it's our sole income)

Cortisol in the beginning of 20 was sky high, then I almost bled to death (pregnancy loss), then I kept working because homelessness isn't fun.

Now that I've kinda sorta conveyed my severe stress it went on, well it still kinda is. Trying my best to work on it while still living in it kinda deal.

Then I fu*king tripped over the smallest fence in the world & hit my head on a pile of steel fence posts at a downward trajectory.

This slowed me down a bit, as a severe concussion is known to do, pretty sure the universe was like "we're gana have to hit this b*tch in the head to make her stop."

I began eating pro-metabolic in May, after the blow to the head, didn't eat restrictive before, began very gentle weight lifting, breath work, vagus nerve stimulation, worked hard to hone in supplements primarily animal based.

Started feeling a bit better.

Did cortisol tests (spit/multiple 4 months apart actually my night time levels got even worse... level 3 HPA- axis dysfunction), hormones say I'm not estrogen dominant, no really I'm not.

However my testosterone is low, progestogen is low, DHEA is SKY HIGH. So much so the report noted it specifically.

So I've gained about 30 lbs, yes 30 lbs since beginning pro-metabolic. I have been tiny my entire life, like 95-100lbs max. I know my body needs to feel safe, it's okay.

However a lot of it is in my upper arms, my stomach is for sure just a balloon of cortisol fat, my love handles/thighs exploded, oh & my breast size has gone up 1-1/2 cup size!

Saying I don't feel well is an understatement.

Thyroid is supposedly fine, no autoimmune, no Lyme's (no surprise there I live off of/grew up on deer meat.)

Digestion is fine, poop 1-2 times a day.

Hair is floor length, yes floor length.

Skin is clear, I've never had acne.

Nails are strong, long, & grow quickly.

I violently ovulate like clockwork, like I have to restrain myself from mating to the point I warn my husband to scorn my advances.

Absolutely no chemical birth control.

No medications.

I don't drink.

I don't smoke, anything.

I am hungry in the morning.

Do have the mother f*cker gene, C13.

I lived off of animal fat/meat/carbs before pro-metabolic, I just had to learn how to combine them + eat more often. Although I for sure had to eat more carbs.

Did a hair test last week. It said:

Bottom level calcium (I love dairy, buy 20+lbs of raw cheese at a time)

Scary high like no more room on the chart sodium.

Not much potassium, but I drink like a gallon or more of ******* OJ, drink coconut water, potatoes are life to me...

High zinc, probably from the oyster max.

Low copper in relation to the zinc.

Low magnesium levels.

Also, my iron level are like perfect. What the hell? I mean that's not a bad thing just what's the odds with everything else being out of whack?

I know. I know. This all is from stress. Real ******* stress. I'm like a walking clinical example.

But I can't just stop working I have 5 people who rely on me to keep my sh*t together. Two of which are my kids.

So I'm thinking of trying the thyro blend I've been reading about on here, the kind you drop on your arm.

Thinking about using bio- available potassium.

Thinking about baking/grinding up eggs shells for even more calcium, I've got too many damn chickens.

Bio- available copper, under 2mg for no more than a month.

I do use a progesterone cream now, for a few months now. Felt calm using it at first, don't notice anything now.

Take 2 forms of magnesium.

On the fence about using other hormones due to the sky high DHEA levels. Something clearly isn't converting.

Stress will always be here. I've always been an awesome adapter to it, until I wasn't. So I'm just trying to find a way to help my body bounce back some, at least supplement in a way that keeps me ahead of the resource burn because food clearly isn't cutting it.

If you made it this far, thank you for that! Wana be friends?

Got any ideas? Suggestions? Questions? I am all ears!

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Guess I should also add that I'm 36 & 5'4.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

So I'm just gana start using this thread as an oddly public she's talking to herself journal of my attempts to survive/get through my severe burn out.

Night before last I took 30mg pregnenolone from pure encapsulations.

What I noticed: For the first time in many months my dreams were congruent, kinda odd, but weren't just snippets of not making sense & I could remember them!

The next morning I felt a little less dead, didn't have a heavy kinda burning weight behind my eyes anymore. Also, while I'll always wake up early (ever since I was a kid) I was able to lay there peacefully until 8 a.m!

Yesterday my proget-e showed up, & I got faded LOL. I took the popcorn kernel sized drop & within 5 mins I was decidedly so calm I felt high. I had a pretty tense day before taking it & it took the edge off nicely.

Then, because we're scrambling to be ready for a new flooring project / home inspection for a refinance we had to organize/deep clean two rooms loaded down with business supplies/general mess.

For the first time in I don't know how long I was able to flow with my neurodiversity and see exactly what needed to be put where/each step that was next in a we have too much crap like orchestra.

We we're done in under 3 hours & I was not exhausted, in fact I was all kindsa wound up.

Just before bed last night I took another pregnenolone & a smaller dose of progest-e, I couldn't get to sleep until 11:30 & I'm the kind of person who falls asleep in 10 mins.

Then I woke up all wired at I'm guessing 4ish a.m but did manage after about 45min to fall back asleep for a little while.

I'm thinking, entirely out loud here, that my body for the first time in years had any semblance of energy and was just like "F*CK YAS LET'S RAGE!!!" So I'm hopeful that will balance out & I'll fight the urge to expend the energy just because I slightly have it.

Today my potassium citrate is supposed to arrive, I'm very excited about that as I have none in my body (I eat alllll the potassium, I'm burning it faster via stress than I can take it in) & my brain function comparative to what it used to be is null & I for sure feel like my rock bottom potassium levels play a role in that.

Also my thyroblend (think that's what it's called, see memory is sh*t) shipped yesterday so I'm excited to give that a go by the end of the week.

Oh, & a bunch of my ancestral supplements showed yesterday so I began the fish eggs (real vitamin D) & the bone marrow/living bone blend (bio available calcium). Just noting this down.

Okay random internet strangers who are like who the f*ck is this chick & why is she talking to herself?

That concludes an out loud talking to myself update.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Okay so the sedating effects of the progest-e have worn off when using even after dosing sublingually, my dreams are remaining steady versus choppy/broken up with the pregnenolone taken in the evening.

I'm not using it for the dream aspect it's just something that I noticed the first night as different physiologically.

I will say I haven't experienced the energy boost I did after taking it the first night.

Today my potassium citrate showed up, took a double dose. I actually feel relatively calm after the dose, my levels are insanely low so the double dose is not concerning me but I'll only be doing that for the next 7 days before I bump down to the standard dose.

Today I've felt kinda apathetically frozen? I mean I got some stuff done today but I was also really just as content just to set down. Which I guess is a difference for me considering I have a hard time stopping in the least.

Tomorrow or the next day my thyromix is due to show up, I am really curious to see what that will do.

I am also looking forward to the copper supplement.

I've also discovered that my body does not like magnesium citrate, makes me race & f*cks with my breath.

Magnesium glycinate does not have the effect so I double up on that.

I will note a change in appetite since beginning to take the hormones. I am as usual pretty hungry as soon as I wake up, but I'm not very hungry through the day until dinner time rolls around. Prior to then I'm typically really hungry by mid afternoon & I eat really large pro-metabolic breakfasts.

I'm pondering this might actually be a symptom of my metabolic stress rate decreasing so my body isn't burning through as much glucose?

Clearly all the questions here are meant for me to ponder on my own accord, but I appreciate the space to talk to myself.

teds

Forum Supporter
Hello- so can I just clarify- your symptoms that you’re concerned about is weight gain? Is that right?
You’ve said digestion, hair/skin, cycle are all ‘perfect’..
So it’s the weight gain?

Have you taken temps and pulse through the month to see what’s happening?

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Hello- so can I just clarify- your symptoms that you’re concerned about is weight gain? Is that right?
You’ve said digestion, hair/skin, cycle are all ‘perfect’..
So it’s the weight gain?

Have you taken temps and pulse through the month to see what’s happening?

My primary concern are:

Zero day time cortisol

Low calcium- eat tons of dairy

Sky high Sodium- don't eat processed foods

Low potassium- eat tons of high potassium foods

Extremely high DHEA levels so somewhere it's not converting.

Low testosterone / progesterone, probably a ramification of the DHEA not converting.

Weight gain was simply noted as one symptom, especially with it amassing on areas of my body that correlate with low testosterone.

Temps widely vary in the mornings. Some days they're in the 96f range some days in the 98 range, there has been no distinct pattern. For pulse it's consistently in the 70-75 bpm.

Basically, I'm so tired no matter what I do I feel like I am going to die & my mental capacity is diminishing rapidly. Like I had better cognitive function shortly after the concussion then I do now...

teds

Forum Supporter
My primary concern are:

Zero day time cortisol

Low calcium- eat tons of dairy

Sky high Sodium- don't eat processed foods

Low potassium- eat tons of high potassium foods

Extremely high DHEA levels so somewhere it's not converting.

Low testosterone / progesterone, probably a ramification of the DHEA not converting.

Weight gain was simply noted as one symptom, especially with it amassing on areas of my body that correlate with low testosterone.

Temps widely vary in the mornings. Some days they're in the 96f range some days in the 98 range, there has been no distinct pattern. For pulse it's consistently in the 70-75 bpm.

Basically, I'm so tired no matter what I do I feel like I am going to die & my mental capacity is diminishing rapidly. Like I had better cognitive function shortly after the concussion then I do now...
Can you clarify that the dairy that you consume is from cheese, yes? Do
You also consume milk? Im wondering if you’re consuming too much fat? Do you know the percentage?
Also, and I understand this can be frustrating, but healing can take time.. I think consistent changes pay off after a year to 18months. Obviously for people who have issues with sleep and digestion etc they tend to see changes a bit sooner but if your issue is memory and weight etc, the blood markets/hair analysis (not sure how accurate that is) take time to shift. How many times have you retested?

When something comes up that concerns me in bloods, I make a change and then retest in 3 months to make sure the trajectory is what I’m after..

Anyway, I can say that making one or two changes at a time to see what is helping is better than rearranging everything. Temps and pulse, check that against activity and food intake..

I hope you feel better soon.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Can you clarify that the dairy that you consume is from cheese, yes? Do
You also consume milk? Im wondering if you’re consuming too much fat? Do you know the percentage?
Also, and I understand this can be frustrating, but healing can take time.. I think consistent changes pay off after a year to 18months. Obviously for people who have issues with sleep and digestion etc they tend to see changes a bit sooner but if your issue is memory and weight etc, the blood markets/hair analysis (not sure how accurate that is) take time to shift. How many times have you retested?

When something comes up that concerns me in bloods, I make a change and then retest in 3 months to make sure the trajectory is what I’m after..

Anyway, I can say that making one or two changes at a time to see what is helping is better than rearranging everything. Temps and pulse, check that against activity and food intake..

I hope you feel better soon.
I just did the hair test, & all other indications/tests show I'm getting worse not better.

My issue is severe stage 3 burn out, so I know nothing will change overnight. I guess I was more looking for insight to my imbalances.

teds

Forum Supporter
I just did the hair test, & all other indications/tests show I'm getting worse not better.

My issue is severe stage 3 burn out, so I know nothing will change overnight. I guess I was more looking for insight to my imbalances.
I would look to the fat intake first.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

I would look to the fat intake first.
You seem to have gotten stuck on the part where I mentioned weight gain(which is more likely from the hormonal issues I talked on).

The last thing I want to do to my stressed out body is start starving it of calories. Sure, I could cut out fats, go into a calorie deficit, lose weight, make my hormones even worse off, vitamin D levels plummet, but I don't think that will get me anywhere in regards to my burn out.

P

Peatness

Congratulations on getting yourself into a new home/environment.
Pregnenolone might help normalise your sodium levels. Have you tried magnesium sulphate baths/foot soaks. Is your vitamin D adequate?

As someone who suffered a head injury/concussion last year too I’ve been looking into some of the metabolic changes that can result from that. The things that helped me at the time of the injury were pregnenolone, progesterone, and b vitamins (You are doing these already). However, it wasn’t until much later that I learnt that thiamine deficiency can be induced by a head injury and this has the potential to cause or aggravate weight issues. Higher doses of thiamine are needed to correct this. @mostlylurking has some great posts on thiamine

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Congratulations on getting yourself into a new home/environment.
Pregnenolone might help normalise your sodium levels. Have you tried magnesium sulphate baths/foot soaks. Is your vitamin D adequate?

As someone who suffered a head injury/concussion last year too I’ve been looking into some of the metabolic changes that can result from that. The things that helped me at the time of the injury were pregnenolone, progesterone, and b vitamins (You are doing these already). However, it wasn’t until much later that I learnt that thiamine deficiency can be induced by a head injury and this has the potential to cause or aggravate weight issues. Higher doses of thiamine are needed to correct this. @mostlylurking has some great posts on thiamine

Thank you for this lead! Last time I checked my vit D (August) it was optimal. I eat a fair amount of animals fats & have begun taking fish eggs from ancestral supplements suspecting it may have dipped with how low my calcium is via hair testing.

What's even worse with my concussion is the emergency room doctor basically just told me I was being a hysterical woman versus referring me to the concussion clinic within the hospital.

So I didn't receive any cognitive care for the first two weeks basically until I demanded a referral via threats of lawsuits which I'm not that type of person I just didn't have any other choice.

I had stage 2 whiplash too which with all the new research coming out indicates the injury to the neck actually causes a lot of the cognitive issues, super interesting stuff
But I did not read about the metabolic changes so I'm excited to jump into that!

Dave_Fit

Congrats on the new home! In my experience sometimes with something new, like pregnenolone in your example, your system can react positively in a hyper way because it's been deprived and when your system registers an influx it doesn't have it's guard up so you get a little hyper activity from the supplement. This could be an indication that the supplement is working, but on the next dose your system is now more regulated and the effect is much less pronounced.

I heard Ray in an interview say that an average person has about 8 hours worth of glycogen in their liver when it's topped off and when you sleep your body uses this glycogen as fuel. When the liver runs out of glycogen you release cortisol and this is what wakes you up. If my memory serves he said that if a person isn't sleeping through the night they may be burning through the liver glycogen causing cortisol to spike early which wakes them up. I believe he suggested some simple sugar (fruit, fruit juice) near bedtime, and salt, the salt was to lower aldosterone. (my understanding was this could help keep you from waking up to pee)

Your situation is unique to you and you sound like you listen to what your body is telling you. Having said that I'm not offering advice only sharing in case this might help fit into the puzzle you are working on with what's going on in your unique situation.

I would look into what regulates, sodium, potassium, calcium balance. If you are drinking that much OJ, and consuming that much dairy your potassium and calcium should not be low. Not sure if adding potassium and calcium supplements would help if it's hormonal regulation of these minerals that is off. How was your kidney function, GFR, if you had that checked? Maybe something to investigate. Again aldosterone is involved in maintaining this balance. Kidneys are also a potential culprit with low calcium levels in the blood. Also do you get enough sodium in your diet? I know it sounds like an odd question with your high sodium levels, but if sodium intake is low your body can hoard sodium.

Hoping you are able to get this sorted, and wishing you the best!

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Well I feel stupid, my ******* potassium levels in my htma hair test are actually sky high. I will say the way they structured irrelevant to me information as information pertaining to the results is what led to my misread.

So I guess all that orange juice is gana give me renal failure...

So I'll be throwing myself into a natural diuretic (cleavers) & easing into licorice root to try to knock some of this potassium out.

Sone of a b*tch I just bought so much OJ too, some little whisper in my head said "look again" at the htma test.

My salt intake is good, I use Celtic salt liberally.

So now I'm gana have to go get my kidney functions checked & I'll also ask for blood potassium levels/sodium to be checked just to see if the hair test is right & I'm about to stroke out from orange juice overload :/

Dave_Fit

Well I feel stupid, my ******* potassium levels in my htma hair test are actually sky high. I will say the way they structured irrelevant to me information as information pertaining to the results is what led to my misread.

So I'll be throwing myself into a natural diuretic (cleavers) & easing into licorice root to try to knock some of this potassium out.

Sone of a b*tch I just bought so much OJ too, some little whisper in my head said "look again" at the htma test.

So now I'm gana have to go get my kidney functions checked & I'll also ask for blood potassium levels/sodium to be checked just to see if the hair test is right & I'm about to stroke out from orange juice overload :/
Maybe check potassium levels with blood test first and see where you are. I have no idea what level of minerals are represented in hair vs blood. But if sodium/potassium/calcium are out of whack id check kidney function just to be safe. There are one of the prime regulators of mineral balance along with aldosterone. Maybe look at adrenal function too, if it’s an option.

mamakitty

So hey, how's it going. This will be a long read, that's just who I am as a person LOL.

My body is basically shutting down after years of SEVERE chronic stress, like 14+ hour work days for years while living in a literal falling down mold infested house then a tent in the yard.

But hey, I did it. Bought us a real nice house on 40+ acres, gave my kids everything they could ever need. Yay!

But I'm pretty sure it's costing me my life.

Been here two years now, the new house. Moved in just before the year of 20 hit so stress remained (small business owner/it's our sole income)

Cortisol in the beginning of 20 was sky high, then I almost bled to death (pregnancy loss), then I kept working because homelessness isn't fun.

Now that I've kinda sorta conveyed my severe stress it went on, well it still kinda is. Trying my best to work on it while still living in it kinda deal.

Then I fu*king tripped over the smallest fence in the world & hit my head on a pile of steel fence posts at a downward trajectory.

This slowed me down a bit, as a severe concussion is known to do, pretty sure the universe was like "we're gana have to hit this b*tch in the head to make her stop."

I began eating pro-metabolic in May, after the blow to the head, didn't eat restrictive before, began very gentle weight lifting, breath work, vagus nerve stimulation, worked hard to hone in supplements primarily animal based.

Started feeling a bit better.

Did cortisol tests (spit/multiple 4 months apart actually my night time levels got even worse... level 3 HPA- axis dysfunction), hormones say I'm not estrogen dominant, no really I'm not.

However my testosterone is low, progestogen is low, DHEA is SKY HIGH. So much so the report noted it specifically.

So I've gained about 30 lbs, yes 30 lbs since beginning pro-metabolic. I have been tiny my entire life, like 95-100lbs max. I know my body needs to feel safe, it's okay.

However a lot of it is in my upper arms, my stomach is for sure just a balloon of cortisol fat, my love handles/thighs exploded, oh & my breast size has gone up 1-1/2 cup size!

Saying I don't feel well is an understatement.

Thyroid is supposedly fine, no autoimmune, no Lyme's (no surprise there I live off of/grew up on deer meat.)

Digestion is fine, poop 1-2 times a day.

Hair is floor length, yes floor length.

Skin is clear, I've never had acne.

Nails are strong, long, & grow quickly.

I violently ovulate like clockwork, like I have to restrain myself from mating to the point I warn my husband to scorn my advances.

Absolutely no chemical birth control.

No medications.

I don't drink.

I don't smoke, anything.

I am hungry in the morning.

Do have the mother f*cker gene, C13.

I lived off of animal fat/meat/carbs before pro-metabolic, I just had to learn how to combine them + eat more often. Although I for sure had to eat more carbs.

Did a hair test last week. It said:

Bottom level calcium (I love dairy, buy 20+lbs of raw cheese at a time)

Scary high like no more room on the chart sodium.

Not much potassium, but I drink like a gallon or more of ******* OJ, drink coconut water, potatoes are life to me...

High zinc, probably from the oyster max.

Low copper in relation to the zinc.

Low magnesium levels.

Also, my iron level are like perfect. What the hell? I mean that's not a bad thing just what's the odds with everything else being out of whack?

I know. I know. This all is from stress. Real ******* stress. I'm like a walking clinical example.

But I can't just stop working I have 5 people who rely on me to keep my sh*t together. Two of which are my kids.

So I'm thinking of trying the thyro blend I've been reading about on here, the kind you drop on your arm.

Thinking about using bio- available potassium.

Thinking about baking/grinding up eggs shells for even more calcium, I've got too many damn chickens.

Bio- available copper, under 2mg for no more than a month.

I do use a progesterone cream now, for a few months now. Felt calm using it at first, don't notice anything now.

Take 2 forms of magnesium.

On the fence about using other hormones due to the sky high DHEA levels. Something clearly isn't converting.

Stress will always be here. I've always been an awesome adapter to it, until I wasn't. So I'm just trying to find a way to help my body bounce back some, at least supplement in a way that keeps me ahead of the resource burn because food clearly isn't cutting it.

If you made it this far, thank you for that! Wana be friends?

Got any ideas? Suggestions? Questions? I am all ears!
I don’t have anything to say that would help you, but I just wanted to comment on your hair. It’s amazing!!

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Maybe check potassium levels with blood test first and see where you are. I have no idea what level of minerals are represented in hair vs blood. But if sodium/potassium/calcium are out of whack id check kidney function just to be safe. There are one of the prime regulators of mineral balance along with aldosterone. Maybe look at adrenal function too, if it’s an option.
We'll I'm in stage 3 HPA Axis dysfunction so my adrenals for sure aren't functioning well. That's why I have zero cortisol in my body until late afternoon then by evening it's dangerously high? but yeah I for sure need to check my blood levels, but it would correlate with my worsening neurological functions as too much potassium has the same symptoms as not enough on brain functions.

mamakitty

Like Dave said above, I think it’s a good idea to get your blood tested for potassium and sodium, and probably calcium too, before supplementing.

Have you checked your blood pressure at all? Was it high after the concussion?

Checking kidney function is not a bad idea either since you recently had a pregnancy loss. However, if the blood tests show your potassium and sodium are fine, then no need to test for kidney function.

And the only thing I am taking the liberty to caution you against is to not start so many supplements at the same time.

I also agree with you re the eating part, btw, you should probably not restrict calories right now. You have been under tremendous stress and should not put your body through more. However, you have achieved a lot, so you should also congratulate yourself and treat yourself to a break maybe?

Good luck! And keep us posted.

teds

Forum Supporter
You seem to have gotten stuck on the part where I mentioned weight gain(which is more likely from the hormonal issues I talked on).

The last thing I want to do to my stressed out body is start starving it of calories. Sure, I could cut out fats, go into a calorie deficit, lose weight, make my hormones even worse off, vitamin D levels plummet, but I don't think that will get me anywhere in regards to my burn out.
Ah no. I got stuck on what you said you’re eating. Have you looking into fatty acid oxidation? Haidut has posted a lot on it but, of course, it’s a cornerstone of Peats work. I don’t give a hoot about your weight. Im certainly not referring to calorie deficit. I obviously won’t add anything more. There’s clearly a lot for you to read and consider and it’s not a short journey.
Best of luck.

teds

Forum Supporter

Also- it was just a suggestion. Eat all the fat you want. I hope your health improves.