Female Friend Is Anemic

T

TheBeard

A friend of mine has been feeling dizzy for years and has low iron and low ferritin stores as shown by bloodwork.

As advised by her doctor, she has started eating more meat and supplementing with iron (I know, bad!), but neither her symptoms nor her bloodwork have improved.

My guess is she’s lacking something to fix the iron.
Ray peat has written that thyroid deficiency can hinder iron storage.

What else can it be?

Max23

I was just reading this article. There are some possibilities, like malabsorption and stuff, B deficiencies like 2,9 and 12.

Max23

I was just reading this article. There are some possibilities, like malabsorption and stuff, B deficiencies like 2,9 and 12.

Oh, and the bacteria eat the iron and also the tapeworm does. A hydrotherapist told me once that a small woman had a lot of fatigue and that a tapeworm came out during her therapy. It was meters long.

olive

Copper/iodine/selenium deficiency. Tell her to stop supplementing zinc if she is and to introduce shellfish and beef liver into the diet.

lampofred

Probably high cortisol and low gelatin. Cortisol takes iron away from blood stream and puts it in essential organs like the liver and brain. Gelatin both opposes cortisol and increases iron use.

The high cortisol and low gelatin is probably related to high serotonin due to high estrogen and low progesterone.

I don't understand the copper recommendation, my guess would be that copper would make things worse. I agree with selenium though. And RP himself doesn't recommend iodine supplementation because milk and eggs have enough.

EIRE24

Copper/iodine/selenium deficiency. Tell her to stop supplementing zinc if she is and to introduce shellfish and beef liver into the diet.
What seafood do you use for this specifically?

Ihor

She should test ceruloplasmine, copper/manganese/magnesium levels.

redsun

A friend of mine has been feeling dizzy for years and has low iron and low ferritin stores as shown by bloodwork.

As advised by her doctor, she has started eating more meat and supplementing with iron (I know, bad!), but neither her symptoms nor her bloodwork have improved.

What else can it be?

As a few others have said, copper could be the issue. Also B2, B6, B12, folate. Liver is a good idea as it is high in everything especially copper which will help utilize the iron and to absorb it. She will likely have more success with her iron supplements by including liver which will provide more copper and iron and lots of B vitamins that help absorb and utilize the iron and copper.

OP
T

TheBeard

Thanks everyone!

So it seems she could use B vitamins + copper, but should be avoiding zinc, so a multivitamin won’t cut it.

I’ll recommend her she buys everything separate

shepherdgirl

She should avoid taking milk or high calcium foods, coffee or caffeinated foods, orange peel, cilantro, chocolate, or eggs within +- 2 hours of taking iron. There may be other things that block iron as well. I would probably avoid other supplements at the same time too. To optimize absorption drink oj or something high in vitamin c with the meal/supplement.
Ensure she is not losing too much blood through menstruation or some kind of bleeding.
Dr. Peat has mentioned liver for anemia. Red meat is helpful but is not that high in iron compared to liver. I personally think the best supplements are freeze dried spleen with a small amount of freeze dried liver (for the copper, which is somehow supposed to help. Not too much copper mind you.) IIRC heme iron is better absorbed than non-heme iron, and spleen and liver have lots of heme iron.

tankasnowgod

What else can it be?

Others have given some good suggestions, I would second adequate B Vitamins. They kept my hemoglobin up even when I was actively getting de-ironed. I think B Vitamins, especially B6, B12 and Folate, are overlooked in anemia, even when iron is low.

You might also be interested in the low iron blogs at irondisorders.org- Iron Blog

As far as iron supplements, I always thought iron containing lactoferrin and supplemental ferritin would likely be the most effective and safest ones to take. The type of supplement could make a huge difference in absorption. Iron Bis-Glycinate also seems to be one that's pretty easy on the GI tract. And also, additional vitamin C should help to aid in absorption, minimize GI discomfort, and help to keep extra iron away from gut bacteria.

Last edited:

StephanF

Forum Supporter
My wife was anemic but got better with iron supplementation from Whole Foods. Her doctor said that a simple check for low blood iron would be to pull down the lower eye lid and check if the exposed skin is reddish or pale.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals