Female Corner

Jennifer

Thanks so much @Jennifer this is really helpful! I happen to have a bag of organic cornsilk and will try it out. As far as certain herbs lowering metabolic rate, do you have an opinion on that? Doesn’t licorice cause excretion of K?
So sorry I missed this post, seraphim. There aren't many herbs I can think of that lower the metabolic rate, but I'm not even close to being an expert on the subject. Since the thyroid and adrenals are the tissues most responsible for the metabolic rate (though, of course, all tissues contribute as a whole), I would say any that stress those glands?

The doctor/herbalist (Dr. Morse) whose work I follow stresses that we don't want to keep targeting a gland/tissue after it has regenerated so there's that. And we wouldn't want to take licorice if our blood pressure is high since it could mess with the adrenals so there's that, too.

Other than the caution with poke and blood roots due to their potency, panax ginseng and black cohosh are estrogenic (the latter often used in cases of true estrogen deficiencies) so knowing what we know from Ray's work, I would think they could affect the metabolism negatively if one wasn't legitimately estrogen deficient?

I hadn't read that about licorice root so I did a Google search and looked on webMD under side effects and interactions and got this:

Licorice: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning

The side effects they list are symptoms of weak adrenals so I question if they are the result of taking licorice root when BP is too high to warrant its use?

Under interactions I see this:

Warfarin (Coumadin) interacts with LICORICE
Warfarin (Coumadin) is used to slow blood clotting. The body breaks down warfarin (Coumadin) to get rid of it. Licorice might increase the breakdown and decrease the effectiveness of warfarin (Coumadin). Decreasing the effectiveness of warfarin (Coumadin) might increase the risk of clotting. Be sure to have your blood checked regularly. The dose of your warfarin (Coumadin) might need to be changed.
​

My thinking may be off but Coumadin is an anticoagulant, and I've seen referred to as a vitamin K antagonist, and since licorice can cause Coumadin to break down faster leaving it less effective, it seems to me like licorice might somehow help with K retention?

They list under its side effects that it might act like estrogen in the body, but say this under general information:

Licorice is also taken by mouth in combination with peony to increase fertility in women with a hormonal disorder called polycystic ovary syndrome, to treat people with abnormal levels of a hormone prolactin.​

Dr. Morse is aware of Dr. John Lee's work on progesterone and from what I understand, Dr. Lee was one of Ray's students, and Dr. Morse has talked about the healing nature of progesterone (its alkalinity) and that estrogen dominance is rampant among society and wouldn't suggest licorice if he thought it were estrogenic, unless a person was legitimately estrogen deficient, in which case he has suggested black cohosh, not licorice root.

And this is listed under interactions:

Estrogens interacts with LICORICE
Licorice seems to change hormone levels in the body. Taking licorice along with estrogen pills might decrease the effects of estrogen pills.<br /><br /> Some estrogen pills include conjugated equine estrogens (Premarin), ethinyl estradiol, estradiol, and others.​

The take away – I have no clue if it depletes K. lol I haven't even had licorice myself to be able to share my own experience with it. The only "evidence" I can offer is Dr. Morse's experience with helping people heal from the most degenerative diseases, which includes aggressive bone diseases like the one I have, and I personally trust the herbs he recommends. My dog's gums completely regenerated within months on one of Dr. Morse's formulas.

After having surgery to remove a tumor on his eyelid, his oral health declined rapidly. This was despite the fact that he had had his teeth cleaned during the surgery and we brushed his teeth daily. His breath was horrid, his teeth developed thick brown plaque and his gums had receded so much the roots of his canines were completely visible.

His vet insisted he have his teeth pulled and said this would leave his tongue hanging out. Not wanting that or putting him through another surgery, I ordered the herbal formula and within a day of taking it, his bad breath was gone and at his next vet visit a few months later, his vet did the routine exam and said his teeth looked great, completely forgetting she insisted he have his teeth pulled just a few months prior.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter

shepherdgirl

@Blossom
Yep, the author undergoes some pretty amazing changes when she quits the pill - huge improvements in her mental and sexual health. And it is likely she was on "low dose" too - According to WebMD: "Today, most pills have 35 micrograms or less of estrogen, an amount that's generally called "low dose."" (Low-Dose and Ultra-Low-Dose Birth Control Pills)
While it's terrible to think that such a small dose could cause so many problems, it can also be looked at in a more empowering way, in that reducing her estrogen by only a small amount could make such a big difference! Carrots, anyone?:carrot2

Peatful

Hi all-
Who here is using squalene on their face?
I would like some pro/cons please.
And if you are pro, I would like any pointers.
Thx!

Jennifer

Hi @Peatful!

I used to use squalane (derived from olives, not shark livers) as my facial moisturizer during the summer because it's extremely light and absorbs fast. If you've ever used fractionated coconut oil, it's similar. Unlike squalene, squalane is hydrogenated so because of its complete saturation, it doesn't oxidize quickly. I recall using the same bottle of oil two summers in a row before running out of it.

If fractionated coconut oil didn't leave my skin smelling musty (it apparently has that effect on some people's skin), I would use it instead of squalane because it is far cheaper for the same results IME. I've read some lofty claims of squalane's benefits and even though I like it, to me it's just a nice, lightweight oil like FCO.

Peatful

Hi @Peatful!

I used to use squalane (derived from olives, not shark livers) as my facial moisturizer during the summer because it's extremely light and absorbs fast. If you've ever used fractionated coconut oil, it's similar. Unlike squalene, squalane is hydrogenated so because of its complete saturation, it doesn't oxidize quickly. I recall using the same bottle of oil two summers in a row before running out of it.

If fractionated coconut oil didn't leave my skin smelling musty (it apparently has that effect on some people's skin), I would use it instead of squalane because it is far cheaper for the same results IME. I've read some lofty claims of squalane's benefits and even though I like it, to me it's just a nice, lightweight oil like FCO.
Thx @Jennifer
Like you, the FCO didn’t agree with me.
Found online some organic olive derived squalane.
Going to give it a try for summer.
Thx again!

Lilly

Hi girls, does anyone know which oil of oregano should be used as anitviral and antiparasite, the oil of wild oregano( origanum minutiflorum) or origanum vulgare? Thanks!

achillea

I’m happy to share my recent interview with my good friend, Dr. Jolene Brighten, to discuss Post-Birth Control Syndrome, an important topic that doesn’t get enough attention.
Dr. Brighten is a Functional Medicine Naturopathic Doctor and a leading expert in Post-Birth Control Syndrome & Hormonal Birth Control Related Problems, and she bravely shares her own story, along with some important next steps for listeners to consider and investigate.
What are some of the symptoms associated with Post-Birth Control Syndrome?
debilitating periods or total loss of your period
cystic acne
severe mood swings
depression and / or anxiety
vaginal infections
infertility
hypothyroidism
migraines and headaches
hair loss
blood sugar dysregulation
changes in bowels
leaky gut
inflammation and other immune imbalances
Is there a need to restore your body after birth control? There is a whole lot of evidence that would suggest yes, and this podcast is an excellent starting point.

The Spectrum of Health with Dr. Christine Schaffner by Dr. Christine Schaffner on Apple Podcasts

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi girls, does anyone know which oil of oregano should be used as anitviral and antiparasite, the oil of wild oregano( origanum minutiflorum) or origanum vulgare? Thanks!
I don't know very much about herbs but perhaps @moss might have some input? I think @Obi-wan might be either taking it now or recently have used it so maybe he will chime in.

L

lollipop

Lejeboca

Hi @Lilly, this is the one I would use:

Zane Hellas Oregano Oil Softgels. Concentrate 4:1 Provides 108 mg Carvacrol per Serving. 60 Softgels- Capsules with Pure Essential Oil of Oregano and Organic Extra Virgin OIive Oil. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ7BU8F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OexbBbD5SC2QR

+1.

I would use any species of Oregano for this, as long as it is organic, from a trusted source, or wild-crafted in a 'safe' area. I think you could even use O. majorana, which is majoram, as anti-viral. (Although I didn't try to use the latter as medicine myself.)

Obi-wan

I don't know very much about herbs but perhaps @moss might have some input? I think @Obi-wan might be either taking it now or recently have used it so maybe he will chime in.

I use wild oregano in a dropper bottle and put two drops under my tongue. Goes right into the bloodstream. Careful it is spicy. Keep it there as long as I can then swish with water. It will bite when it hits your taste buds. Takes a little bit to get used to. Gives me instant energy and more clarity. I will do various times of the day. Doing less now since my new addiction is IdeaLabs Magnoil on the back of my neck (5 drops) various times of the day but still do oregano oil once or twice daily. My family knows because I use sign language to communicate when it is under my tongue...or grunt:vulcan:

Last edited:

Lilly

I use wild oregano in a dropper bottle and put two drops under my tongue. Goes right into the bloodstream. Careful it is spicy. Keep it there as long as I can then swish with water. It will bite when it hits your taste buds. Takes a little bit to get used to. Gives me instant energy and more clarity. I will do various times of the day. Doing less now since my new addiction is IdeaLabs Magnoil on the back of my neck (5 drops) various times of the day but still do oregano oil once or twice daily. My family knows because I use sign language to communicate when it is under my tongue...or grunt:vulcan:
That is very interesting. What systemic benefits does it have? I thought it should be eaten if one is aiming to tackle parasites and or yeasts.

Obi-wan

That is very interesting. What systemic benefits does it have? I thought it should be eaten if one is aiming to tackle parasites and or yeasts.
I eventually swallow it but like the sublingual approach first. Gives me clear breathing as well

Jackrabbit

Hi ladies (and gentlemen), I was hoping I could ask a question in this thread regarding progesterone. I found a website that recommended taking 300mg daily for three months if one is perimenopausal or at least has the issue of getting her period shortly after starting to take progesterone during the normal day 12-28 part of the cycle as was occurring with myself. So I began that journey and found that as alll the estrogen started to be released from tissues or whatever was happening I began to actually need more and more til I was actually taking at leaSt 500mg daily and then two nights ago with the occurrence of the lunar eclipse perhaps I got really sick with a major headache that started as severe pain in my neck (mainly on the left side) that branched up into my head and felt like there was blood throbbing in my left side of my brain and causing edema. It would feel worse every time I stood up or sat down. It was quite scary and today the right side of my head is having some of that pressure although not nearly as bad. I think I took well over 600mg of progesterone yesterday but it wasn’t accurately measured because I just kept taking droppersfull and also the pills which are 200mg each. My gut feels like heck, too and it’s just been a really difficult couple of days. No vomiting and no light sensitivity so I don’t think this is a migraine as I also get the occasional one of those and am familiar with the sensa