Female Corner

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ok, so I have low testosterone!!! 1.1 ng/mg. I'm using pansterone vaginally but now I'm wondering if I should use it orally or topically too. My dhea was fine-mid range so I'm not sure if I should add more.
Has anyone had this issue and if so what helped you bring up your levels to normal?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
From talking to haidut in the pansterone thread I think my low progesterone and testosterone is from my pituitary tumor flaring up again. I've been battling this for 11 years and have had good results over the last 4 years from Peat inspired living but I think it's time to go back on meds for a bit to get my levels in check. I didn't want to face the fact that it could be my prolactinoma but at least I know what to do to get back on track.

L

lollipop

From talking to haidut in the pansterone thread I think my low progesterone and testosterone is from my pituitary tumor flaring up again. I've been battling this for 11 years and have had good results over the last 4 years from Peat inspired living but I think it's time to go back on meds for a bit to get my levels in check. I didn't want to face the fact that it could be my prolactinoma but at least I know what to do to get back on track.
Hi @Blossom, what kind of meds are you thinking about? How long will you need to use them?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi @Blossom, what kind of meds are you thinking about? How long will you need to use them?
I'm going to try lisuride (on my rat!). I've used both lisuride and bromocriptine in the past and I prefer lisuride. Right now I'm thinking about staying on it for six months. My first reaction was a feeling of disappointment when I realized my pituitary tumor is flaring up again but then I reminded myself that some people go blind or need surgery or radiation due to this type of tumor so I'm not doing too bad after all. My husband actually told me he thought it was my pituitary last week but I just didn't want it to be true. It can be so hard to be objective with ourselves!!!
Thanks for checking on me @lisaferraro.:kiss:

Peatful

I'm going to try lisuride (on my rat!). I've used both lisuride and bromocriptine in the past and I prefer lisuride. Right now I'm thinking about staying on it for six months. My first reaction was a feeling of disappointment when I realized my pituitary tumor is flaring up again but then I reminded myself that some people go blind or need surgery or radiation due to this type of tumor so I'm not doing too bad after all. My husband actually told me he thought it was my pituitary last week but I just didn't want it to be true. It can be so hard to be objective with ourselves!!!
Hi @Blossom -
Life is such a balance!
What was your husband noticing? Or was it less of noticing and more of a sensing?
What are some of your flare up symptoms?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi @Blossom -
Life is such a balance!
What was your husband noticing? Or was it less of noticing and more of a sensing?
What are some of your flare up symptoms?
My labs came back with low sex hormones across the board although testosterone was by far the worst. That's when my husband said he thought it was due to my pituitary.
My flare up symptoms include-

Increased scalp hair shedding

Loss of libido/lack of orgasm

Intense scalp itch to the point of pain which intensifies after meals

Nipple changes (color and appearance)

Loss of pubic hair

Fatigue

Reduced visual clarity/blurry vision

Breast pain

I've been on P-5-p and thyroid since November but it seems like that just wasn't enough. I'm 100% certain that this was aggravated by major life stress over the last 1+ years but thankfully that is improving!
Thank you for asking @Peatful

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It reminds me of that feeling you get when you wear a tight ponytail for too long but I have it without wearing a ponytail. I get the sensation on the crown of my head, my eyebrows and my public region.

Peatful

My labs came back with low sex hormones across the board although testosterone was by far the worst. That's when my husband said he thought it was due to my pituitary.
My flare up symptoms include-

Increased scalp hair shedding

Loss of libido/lack of orgasm

Intense scalp itch to the point of pain which intensifies after meals

Nipple changes (color and appearance)

Loss of pubic hair

Fatigue

Reduced visual clarity/blurry vision

Breast pain

I've been on P-5-p and thyroid since November but it seems like that just wasn't enough. I'm 100% certain that this was aggravated by major life stress over the last 1+ years but thankfully that is improving!
Thank you for asking @Peatful
Thank you for your thorough reply @Blossom.
Very interesting to me.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you for your thorough reply @Blossom.
Very interesting to me.
You're welcome. It was helpful for me to make that list. I might need to refer back to it at some point. I've been trying not to live my life as a prolactinoma 'patient ' but obviously I need to put myself on a schedule for regularly checking my levels.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I also read that hyperprolactinemia can cause increased susceptibility to infection which I've been experiencing (although minor) recently. I had just chalked it up to this never ending winter and working in hospitals but maybe that will resolve by going back on meds.

bionicheart

Also, has anyone tried a menstrual cup? My periods are really light on my diet so I can get away with just pantyliners and even though the ones I use are 100% organic and biodegradable, I want something that creates the least amount of waste possible and thought about the menstrual cup. My only concern has been whether or not it's okay to have silicone in me 24/7 for a couple days straight each month. In a Peaty view, is silicone safe?

Idk about their safety, but I tried the "medical grade silicone" Skoon menstrual cup and it was painful to insert/remove when I still had cramps.
I decided even if it wasn't painful, it was still very messy to remove, and paranoid about reinserting it after cleaning in public restrooms! (THE GERMS!
This may sound gross, but I bought a pair of period proof underwear (thinx brand U.S.), that can hold up to 2 tampons worth of blood. You might want to look into those, you can buy a set of 3 and get a discount and I believe they will give you a refund if you're not satisfied.

Peatful

I also read that hyperprolactinemia can cause increased susceptibility to infection which I've been experiencing (although minor) recently. I had just chalked it up to this never ending winter and working in hospitals but maybe that will resolve by going back on meds.
And you feel like (or know) that your vitamins A,D,E are WNLs and supporting your pituitary?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
And you feel like (or know) that your vitamins A,D,E are WNLs and supporting your pituitary?
Yes. I haven't tested A & E but I use Cronometer and I should be ok between diet and supplements. My last D level was 52 in December and I supplement with 5,000 IU/ 5x per week.
I had an extremely high amount of stress happening all at once starting at the end of 2016 that I'm certain contributed to my current situation. I experienced 13 of the items on this inventory simultaneously.
Holmes and Rahe stress scale - Wikipedia (my score was 394 being conservative.)
I think I'm just now getting back to a reasonable stress level. Thankfully for the 3 years prior to that I had made major headway toward sorting out the worst of my health issues and it prepared me to withstand the onslaught but there's no doubt that it's going to take some time to get rebalanced.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Yes. I haven't tested A & E but I use Cronometer and I should be ok between diet and supplements. My last D level was 52 in December and I supplement with 5,000 IU/ 5x per week.
I had an extremely high amount of stress happening all at once starting at the end of 2016 that I'm certain contributed to my current situation. I experienced 13 of the items on this inventory simultaneously.
Holmes and Rahe stress scale - Wikipedia (my score was 394 being conservative.)
I think I'm just now getting back to a reasonable stress level. Thankfully for the 3 years prior to that I had made major headway toward sorting out the worst of my health issues and it prepared me to withstand the onslaught but there's no doubt that it's going to take some time to get rebalanced.
Hi @Blossom! I like your strategy and that you have time bounded the experiment on your rat :):

Please keep up updated as I will be following and cheering you on. Also I think @Jennifer has experienced pituitary issues not sure it the same as you, but maybe you know or have some thoughts Jennifer?

I also think that sometimes the amount of stress hitting at once is so high that even thyroid is not simply enough to keep the system balanced.

Wishing you luck. Hugs :):

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi @Blossom! I like your strategy and that you have time bounded the experiment on your rat :):

Please keep up updated as I will be following and cheering you on. Also I think @Jennifer has experienced pituitary issues not sure it the same as you, but maybe you know or have some thoughts Jennifer?

I also think that sometimes the amount of stress hitting at once is so high that even thyroid is not simply enough to keep the system balanced.

Wishing you luck. Hugs :):
Thank you Lisa, that means a lot to me! It makes sense that my weak spot took a hit after everything I lived through. I will remain hopeful and positive though!

Jennifer

Also I think @Jennifer has experienced pituitary issues not sure it the same as you, but maybe you know or have some thoughts Jennifer?

I'm very sorry to hear your tumor is flaring up again, Blossom. :( Are you at least finding it happening less frequently since implementing Ray's adivice? If so, I would think that's a sign that maybe it's shrinking? How great that your husband is so intune with you that he knew it was your pituitary tumor.

Lisa brings up a great point about the period of stress you experienced. That really is huge. Major stress in recent years set me back, as well. It seemed every time I would get a leg up on my health, my family and I would get hit a devestating blow and it would set me back. It's been such a rollercoaster and super frustrating, but it's not like we can opt out of life temporarily to heal. Not if we're lucky enough to love and be loved – be part of a family.

I have a weak pituitary, but no tumor. However, I've experienced most of the symptoms you mentioned, along with migraines and an inability to reach the top cupboards. Darn short stature! lol It makes sense because a weakness in the pituitary means possible suppression of our other endocrine glands. Along with stress, that's one of the main reasons why my adrenals have been so challenging to resurrect.

My diet alone helped with my adrenals and parathyroid, finally bringing my PTH level within range and my progesterone levels up to 10x+ that of my estrogen levels which allowed me to finally have a menstrual cycle without the use of hormone supplementation. However, with the first stressful event, my adrenals took a hit and my blood pressure dropped too low again so I added in some herbs and did some much needed housecleaning on my self and my life.

Dr. Morse and other healers have seen all kinds of tumors vanish so I do believe yours can, too. I think Ray has evidence of this, also. Aside from eating an abundance of ripe fruit – the great lymphatic pullers and alkalizers, maybe some herbs (could ask Ray about their safety before trying any?), and creating a space for yourself everyday for healing, whatever that looks like to you – beach time, bath time, reading a good book under a tree, dancing like nobody is watching etc., the only other thing I can think of is maybe keep an eye on your kidney filtration?

Much love and hugs to you! ❤️

Jennifer

Idk about their safety, but I tried the "medical grade silicone" Skoon menstrual cup and it was painful to insert/remove when I still had cramps.
I decided even if it wasn't painful, it was still very messy to remove, and paranoid about reinserting it after cleaning in public restrooms! (THE GERMS!
This may sound gross, but I bought a pair of period proof underwear (thinx brand U.S.), that can hold up to 2 tampons worth of blood. You might want to look into those, you can buy a set of 3 and get a discount and I believe they will give you a refund if you're not satisfied.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, bionicheart! I'm sure your post will be of value to many who come across it. :):

I decided not to go with the cup and just stick with the panty liners instead since they're 100% biodegradable and I only go through, at most, a few of them per month since my periods consist of only a couple days of very light spotting.

Thanks again!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm very sorry to hear your tumor is flaring up again, Blossom. :( Are you at least finding it happening less frequently since implementing Ray's adivice? If so, I would think that's a sign that maybe it's shrinking? How great that your husband is so intune with you that he knew it was your pituitary tumor.

Lisa brings up a great point about the period of stress you experienced. That really is huge. Major stress in recent years set me back, as well. It seemed every time I would get a leg up on my health, my family and I would get hit a devestating blow and it would set me back. It's been such a rollercoaster and super frustrating, but it's not like we can opt out of life temporarily to heal. Not if we're lucky enough to love and be loved – be part of a family.

I have a weak pituitary, but no tumor. However, I've experienced most of the symptoms you mentioned, along with migraines and an inability to reach the top cupboards. Darn short stature! lol It makes sense because a weakness in the pituitary means possible suppression of our other endocrine glands. Along with stress, that's one of the main reasons why my adrenals have been so challenging to resurrect.

My diet alone helped with my adrenals and parathyroid, finally bringing my PTH level within range and my progesterone levels up to 10x+ that of my estrogen levels which allowed me to finally have a menstrual cycle without the use of hormone supplementation. However, with the first stressful event, my adrenals took a hit and my blood pressure dropped too low again so I added in some herbs and did some much needed housecleaning on my self and my life.

Dr. Morse and other healers have seen all kinds of tumors vanish so I do believe yours can, too. I think Ray has evidence of this, also. Aside from eating an abundance of ripe fruit – the great lymphatic pullers and alkalizers, maybe some herbs (could ask Ray about their safety before trying any?), and creating a space for yourself everyday for healing, whatever that looks like to you – beach time, bath time, reading a good book under a tree, dancing like nobody is watching etc., the only other thing I can think of is maybe keep an eye on your kidney filtration?

Much love and hugs to you! ❤️
Thanks for the reply @Jennifer! My tumor has been much improved until this recent flare. I had wondered if it might even be gone at one point!
I have read about your experience and find it very inspirational. I'm certain I could not personally manage to eat the same way though. Just the thought of an all fruit diet seems like it wouldn't work for me! Just out of curiosity are there people who use Dr. Morse's herbal formulas that eat more of a mixed diet that includes some cooked foods and animal products?

Jennifer

Thanks for the reply @Jennifer! My tumor has been much improved until this recent flare. I had wondered if it might even be gone at one point!
I have read about your experience and find it very inspirational. I'm certain I could not personally manage to eat the same way though. Just the thought of an all fruit diet seems like it wouldn't work for me! Just out of curiosity are there people who use Dr. Morse's herbal formulas that eat more of a mixed diet that includes some cooked foods and animal products?
Oh, I'm sorry for the confusion! When I said an abundance of fruit, I didn't mean to imply an all fruit diet. Sure, Dr. morse suggests pulling out the big guns when degeneration is at a point where dis-eases have manifested in the body such as tumors, but even he has suggested eggs in very depleted cases and cautions that there are times when the fruit can be too aggressive and we need to slow the detoxing down. Umm...think of it like PUFA depletion and how people use tools to combat the negative symptoms they would otherwise experience? In Dr. M's case, things like having some cooked veggies would be a tool.

Personally, when my mum wanted to jump headfirst into an all fruit diet, coming from a heavy meat and grain based diet and serious illness, I warned her not to since in my experience, that is the surest way to never want to look at another piece of fruit ever again. For her, I suggested that if she wanted to go the plant-based route that she might try omitting some of the bigger offenders* and more of what Arnold Ehret recommended as a transitional diet since she isn't satisfied on fruit alone and loves veggies, especially roasted. Dr. Morse was influenced by Arnold Ehret so...

*From Ray's acidity and alkalinity interview:

"Herb Doctor: Let's talk about that subject a little bit more. The residue you said that's like what's left behind once the food source has been metabolized. That's what actually dictates whether a food is alkaline or acidic

RP: Yeah, and grains, nuts, beans and meat do have a very acidic residue or ash after they're metabolized. And the biggest part of that in meat and nuts and grains is phosphate. Proteins have a lot of sulfur that turns into sulfuric acid when it's metabolized. And with those it is possible to do biological harm eating too much of those and not enough of the potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium."

Ray Peat

With that being said, you seem to have been making such great strides before that period of stress hit, stress being something I believe no diet can fully prevent us from feeling some negative effects of, so it seems to me you were on your correct path. I can assure you my perfect fruitarian diet (lol) didn't protect me from the effects of a broken heart. That took some major inner work on my self (non-physical) and my life, which is the hardest thing IMO. I know it's hard but if you have a deep knowing that what you've been doing is right for you, maybe don't let this setback shake your confidence in it?

For a little woo since I can never seem to leave a comment without including at least some (lol), our pituitary is in the area of our "Third Eye." That's the area of intuition. Intuition requires a lot of trust and faith IMO in a world that thrives on the concrete, the studies, you know? But the way I see it, at the end of the day, we're just a bunch of energy, and intuition is an energetic feeling so it's really powerful. Where ever there is degeneration, I like to consider if I may be neglecting an aspect of myself that the dis-eased area represents.

For me, my biggest struggle has been with speaking out, standing up for myself and this fear of my voice being heard, which goes all the way back to the molestation when I was a little girl. That is of course the throat area which just so happens to be the area of my parathyroid glands, the glands that suffered major degeneration, almost taking out my spine completely. It may be just a coincidence, but I don't feel so. I can't prove it but I have this feeling, an innate knowing, that in order for me to get my spine back to as good as new, I must first have one. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals