Felt nothing from mega dose of iodine

Astolfo

One drop of lugol's solution (5%) I took yesterday made me feel nothing afterwards. No energy feeling, the body temperature still same, no adverse effect, no change in urine color... I also took another drop a few hours ago and I still feel same.

Atonewithme

Forum Supporter
I was told to work my way up to 5 drops of 1% magnascent in am/pm by my dr. I’m not sure how I slept. I did have energy while I restored my vitamin levels. At the time, I was deficient due to food allergies and a damaged small intestine. Anyway, that was prescribed and specific to me. I increased every 3-4 days. I take more now but just in the morning.

TheSir

One drop of lugol's solution (5%) I took yesterday made me feel nothing afterwards. No energy feeling, the body temperature still same, no adverse effect, no change in urine color... I also took another drop a few hours ago and I still feel same.
You either aren't deficient or completely lack the cofactors required for its functions. From these two, the former seems miles more likely, as iodione deficiency is not necessarily that common unless you live in certain places.

Atonewithme

Forum Supporter
You either aren't deficient or completely lack the cofactors required for its functions. From these two, the former seems miles more likely, as iodione deficiency is not necessarily that common unless you live in certain places.
Although not highly scientific or accurate, deficiency might be accessed by noticing how quickly iodine is absorbed in the skin. You can look up iodine skin patch test.

1 drop of 5% is hardly a megadose... I took 20-30 drops of 5%. At some point I did start to feel a certain kind of tightness in the thyroid gland. I didn't see any point in it, it certainly wasn't fixing my hypothyroidism, in fact I think my eyebrows became even thinner.

Phosphor

Didn't read it but will tell you my recent experience. I don't use iodized salt and haven't for a long time. Because of fluoride poisoning I decided to see if iodine would help me detox it. I built up and ended up taking some pretty huge doses for a while; I got back the freckles I had as a kid and young adult, and realized how long they had been gone, which is decades. Eventually I had too much, stopped sleeping, was a bit agitated, and then my thyroid swelled up and got tender. I thought oops I had screwed myself, and stopped right away. But in a few days the thryoid was ok again and in about two weeks I started up with 5 drops of 2% Lugols. After just a while, I noticed a tremendous difference, basically that I got my life back. I have had low energy, no motivation, mostly just sitting in a chair for YEARS. My thyroid tests always showed low T3, normal T4, and a somewhat low TSH, which of course caused no one to want to raise my thyroid medication (Naturethroid.) I have concluded I was deficient in iodine, which is why I had to build up my stores first, and while I don't recommend you do what i did, which was take huge amounts, i would note that deficiencies are not corrected in a short period of time if you are going at it in a sane way. I am going to continue with my five drops of 2% indefinitely because the change in my life has been profound, from a mild state of "CFS/ME" to having back my desire, and ability, to do things. Treat the patient, not the lab test.

OP
A

Astolfo

1 drop of 5% is hardly a megadose... I took 20-30 drops of 5%. At some point I did start to feel a certain kind of tightness in the thyroid gland. I didn't see any point in it, it certainly wasn't fixing my hypothyroidism, in fact I think my eyebrows became even thinner.
For how long did you take it? Do you think it's safe also?

@Phosphor

Thanks for telling you experience. I'm also taking 2 drops of %5 solution, and I wonder if this is a safe dose for long term usage. So far I haven't seen any bad effect and I think I feel a bit better in general.

For how long did you take it? Do you think it's safe also?

For about a month. It did not seem to be helping me and I noticed worsening some symptoms. Not sure if it's safe but you should absolutely take 200 mcg selenomethionine with it every day.

Gustav3Y

What about when using a lot of Povidone-iodine to clean a cut or wound, wouldn't that deliver massive doses of iodine in the blood?

Sitaruîm

Didn't read it but will tell you my recent experience. I don't use iodized salt and haven't for a long time. Because of fluoride poisoning I decided to see if iodine would help me detox it. I built up and ended up taking some pretty huge doses for a while; I got back the freckles I had as a kid and young adult, and realized how long they had been gone, which is decades. Eventually I had too much, stopped sleeping, was a bit agitated, and then my thyroid swelled up and got tender. I thought oops I had screwed myself, and stopped right away. But in a few days the thryoid was ok again and in about two weeks I started up with 5 drops of 2% Lugols. After just a while, I noticed a tremendous difference, basically that I got my life back. I have had low energy, no motivation, mostly just sitting in a chair for YEARS. My thyroid tests always showed low T3, normal T4, and a somewhat low TSH, which of course caused no one to want to raise my thyroid medication (Naturethroid.) I have concluded I was deficient in iodine, which is why I had to build up my stores first, and while I don't recommend you do what i did, which was take huge amounts, i would note that deficiencies are not corrected in a short period of time if you are going at it in a sane way. I am going to continue with my five drops of 2% indefinitely because the change in my life has been profound, from a mild state of "CFS/ME" to having back my desire, and ability, to do things. Treat the patient, not the lab test.
Great testimonial. I want to try supplementing Lugol's iodine, how do you ingest it? Do you dilute it?

DonLore

What about when using a lot of Povidone-iodine to clean a cut or wound, wouldn't that deliver massive doses of iodine in the blood?
Thats why I have to think iodine is pretty safe in large doses also, since its been widely used as cleaning agent and also as a supplement

Deborah888

Interesting. I always immediately got thyroiditis, followed by hypo symptoms for several weeks after trying Lugols in the past but may revisit this. I know it's been a while but thanks for sharing.

Phosphor

I would just comment that we are all different with different DNA, different histories, and different needs. Lugol's has helped me quite a bit; I reached a point where it caused me to start detoxing fluoride (FQAD) and it has been extremely helpful in that regard. Possibly having been floxed in the mid-2000s has affected my iodine levels because iodine (along with quite a few other minerals) is displaced by the extremely reactive fluorine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals