Feeling worse with sun instead of vitamin D supp?

OP
B

Bluemachine

I want to second what Charlie said. I’ve been diligent recently about getting morning light at sunrise outdoors and it’s made a big difference for me. I live at latitude 40 and it’s often cloudy yet the natural light still helps. My tan is pretty nice too compared to prior years despite working M-F 9-6.
Nice, what "big difference" ? if you don't mind me asking

youngsinatra

I use the app dminder to track vitamin D synthesis according to my location.
I need 20-30min of full-body exposure to generate 2000 to 4000 IU, when the sun is at peak around 11am to 1pm.
Before that I always thought that I generate 10-15‘000 IU in 30min, but I think this is not true!

I feel much better with vitamin D through the sun instead of supplementing. I think I overdid the dosage of D3 for too long to be honest.

I just take vitamin K2 supplementally at the moment.

I would recommend using some topical vitamin E before going sunbathing to protect lipids from potential oxidation.
I open a vitamin E capsule into the palm of my hand and add some coconut oil afterwards; then just apply the mixture to the skin.

Explorer

Light and heat oxidizes unsaturated fatty acids like crazy that are present in hight amounts in skin too. If sun makes you feel worse it's most likely that. That is why sun gives some people cancer. Unironically i think head is the safest tanning spot because skull protects the brain and skin is low in fat there but still makes vitamin D and other benefits.
Does thix oxidization also helps depleting any PUFAs you have stored?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I want to second what Charlie said. I’ve been diligent recently about getting morning light at sunrise outdoors and it’s made a big difference for me. I live at latitude 40 and it’s often cloudy yet the natural light still helps. My tan is pretty nice too compared to prior years despite working M-F 9-6.
For the first time in my life I am tan.

peter88

I need 20-30min of full-body exposure to generate 2000 to 4000 IU, when the sun is at peak around 11am to 1pm.
Before that I always thought that I generate 10-15‘000 IU in 30min, but I think this is not true!

I feel much better with vitamin D through the sun instead of supplementing. I think I overdid the dosage of D3 for too long to be honest.

I would recommend using some topical vitamin E before going sunbathing to protect lipids from potential oxidation.
I open a vitamin E capsule into the palm of my hand and add some coconut oil afterwards; then just apply the mixture to the skin.
How much k2?

Oleg

Nice! Coconut oil also a mild sunscreen, or at least UV protective.

Oleg

pic

It's OK, Oleg :)
In the part of Russia that I am from, “mushroom rain” is a rain with sunshine at the same time. Very special!

OP
B

Bluemachine

Do you generally handle heat well, @SwissFever ? How is your thyroid? Maybe you are overheating.
Yeah, I think that might be part of it. It's warm here in the UK at the moment & I'm sick of it. I tried getting some sun through a window the other day but the heat of it just overwhelmed me pretty quickly. Not sure on thyroid, if it's been tested in the past, I was not told of any abnormalities. Could well be quite hypo though, I've been drinking lots of coffee recently & I feel it's doing me well

Last edited:

BearWithMe

Yeah, I think that might be part of it. It's warm here in the UK at the moment & I'm sick of it. I tried getting some sun through a window the other day but the heat of it just overwhelmed me pretty quickly. Not sure on thyroid, if it's been tested in the past, I was not told of any abnormalities. Could well be quite hypo though, I've been drinking lots of coffee recently & I feel it's doing me well
I don't think that's part of it, that would be literally the reason.

frannybananny

Can some people not make enough vitamin D from the sun?
I have stopped my vitamin D supp & have been getting lots of sunlight recently but I have been feeling significantly worse. Could be due to other things of course but I was wondering if this might be a factor?
Tempted to try taking some of my supplement but I don't want to over do the D.
A friend of mine, Physician's Assistant, says she is missing the enzyme that is necessary to make Vit D from the sun so she takes 5000 IU of D3 every single day.

Explorer

Since Peating + it being 30c heat waves here lately, sunbathing makes my already high body temperature even higher

Doc Sandoz

Interesting, for me the sun is actually the thing that improves my health significantly, while supplemental vit d just rams me up, agitates me and makes me feel worse.
This is precisely my experience!

BearWithMe

Interesting, for me the sun is actually the thing that improves my health significantly, while supplemental vit d just rams me up, agitates me and makes me feel worse.
In my experience, supplemental vitamin D makes people feel worse when they are either deficient in calcium, or using poor quality supplements, or both