Feeling worse with sun instead of vitamin D supp?

Bluemachine

Can some people not make enough vitamin D from the sun?
I have stopped my vitamin D supp & have been getting lots of sunlight recently but I have been feeling significantly worse. Could be due to other things of course but I was wondering if this might be a factor?
Tempted to try taking some of my supplement but I don't want to over do the D.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What time of day are you getting sun?

reaching

the sun can be stressful like anything else. maybe you are over doing it or doing it at a particularly bad time of day or bad time for you stress level wise.
maybe something to do with vitamin A... heh heh
your body might be adjusting from stopping the supplement too. it is used to that constant source and all of a sudden its gone! maybe give a few weeks.

OP
B

Bluemachine

What time of day are you getting sun?
from 12 pm to sunset, I'll maybe sit out for an hour or so in the the early afternoon then walk in it for an hour in the early evening, with several periods of just being out in the garden, doing stuff. quite hot in the UK at the mo

OP
B

Bluemachine

the sun can be stressful like anything else. maybe you are over doing it or doing it at a particularly bad time of day or bad time for you stress level wise.
maybe something to do with vitamin A... heh heh
your body might be adjusting from stopping the supplement too. it is used to that constant source and all of a sudden its gone! maybe give a few weeks.
Yeah, it just feels criminal to be inside when the weather's nice. I get a good amount of A from diet I think.. Surely the D from sunlight would substitute the supplement? Therefore no adjustment needed?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
from 12 pm to sunset, I'll maybe sit out for an hour or so in the the early afternoon then walk in it for an hour in the early evening, with several periods of just being out in the garden, doing stuff. quite hot in the UK at the mo
That could be the issue. We need to get light right at sunrise, and then a couple hours after sunrise( I go to about 10am) if possible because it primes the body for the mid day sun. Then, during the mid day, probably only 15-20 minutes around solar noon is all that is needed. Then cover up or get in some good shade, then around 4 or 4:30'ish pm)depending where you are lattitude wise and the season) back out uncovered till dark. All this grounded of course, bare feet on the earth.

This article explains it: Infrared and Skin: Friend or Foe

Dobbler

Light and heat oxidizes unsaturated fatty acids like crazy that are present in hight amounts in skin too. If sun makes you feel worse it's most likely that. That is why sun gives some people cancer. Unironically i think head is the safest tanning spot because skull protects the brain and skin is low in fat there but still makes vitamin D and other benefits.

Ben.

Interesting, for me the sun is actually the thing that improves my health significantly, while supplemental vit d just rams me up, agitates me and makes me feel worse.

With the sun however, i notice that there might be a initial "unpleasent" reaction with itching but that doesnt last more than 1-2 minutes. It also only happense if to much time passes between the sun exposures. Its raining here for weeks ...

OP
B

Bluemachine

That could be the issue. We need to get light right at sunrise, and then a couple hours after sunrise( I go to about 10am) if possible because it primes the body for the mid day sun. Then, during the mid day, probably only 15-20 minutes around solar noon is all that is needed. Then cover up or get in some good shade, then around 4 or 4:30'ish pm)depending where you are lattitude wise and the season) back out uncovered till dark. All this grounded of course, bare feet on the earth.

This article explains it: Infrared and Skin: Friend or Foe
Thanks, I'll have a read of that later. So you think it's more a light thing than to do with vitamin d?
I do spend a lot of time bare foot but often on concrete slabs, not sure if that's as beneficial as soil & grass?

OP
B

Bluemachine

Interesting, for me the sun is actually the thing that improves my health significantly, while supplemental vit d just rams me up, agitates me and makes me feel worse.

With the sun however, i notice that there might be a initial "unpleasent" reaction with itching but that doesnt last more than 1-2 minutes. It also only happense if to much time passes between the sun exposures. Its raining here for weeks ...
Like I said, the reason I feel less well recently could be unrelated but I was wondering if some people maybe have trouble converting sunlight to vitamin D & I fall into that category of some people

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks, I'll have a read of that later. So you think it's more a light thing than to do with vitamin d?
Going straight into midday sun without priming the body with early morning sun is not the right way to do it. Then overloading with too much midday sun on top of that is a double whammy.
I do spend a lot of time bare foot but often on concrete slabs, not sure if that's as beneficial as soil & grass?
Better then not. You do get some grounding through concrete.

OP
B

Bluemachine

Light and heat oxidizes unsaturated fatty acids like crazy that are present in hight amounts in skin too. If sun makes you feel worse it's most likely that. That is why sun gives some people cancer. Unironically i think head is the safest tanning spot because skull protects the brain and skin is low in fat there but still makes vitamin D and other benefits.
Yeah I have heard this before, I supplement vit E though, wondering how much that helps.

OP
B

Bluemachine

Going straight into midday sun without priming the body with early morning sun is not the right way to do it. Then overloading with too much midday sun on top of that is a double whammy.

Better then not. You do get some grounding through concrete.
if for instance it was not possible for someone to get any early morning sun, would it be best to just get it in the evening only?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Like I said, the reason I feel less well recently could be unrelated but I was wondering if some people maybe have trouble converting sunlight to vitamin D & I fall into that category of some people
Some people have an issue with the coversion to active D which is done in the kidney and liver.
if for instance it was not possible for someone to get any early morning sun, would it be best to just get it in the evening only?
That would be second best, yes. But the first light at sunrise is crucial for many other reasons. Even if you can do just a few minutes.

OP
B

Bluemachine

Some people have an issue with the coversion to active D which is done in the kidney and liver.
I'm which case a supplement would benefit this person?
That would be second best, yes. But the first light at sunrise is crucial for many other reasons. Even if you can do just a few minutes.
Okay, I'll try to do that. I have noted early morning sun to be very enjoyable in the past.

Serge

Too much sunshine always depressed me. How much is too much I think depends on where you were born and the genetics. It might have nothing to do with vitamins, it might have to do with what your brain and body is used to process. I feel best when there's what we call "mushroom rain" - tiny rain, no wind, cool but not cold... that's like paradise to me. In Singapore and other equator-close areas I suffered. Just my 5 copecks :)

Jennifer

I was wondering if some people maybe have trouble converting sunlight to vitamin D & I fall into that category of some people

I used to fall into that category too, but no longer do. I was needing over an hour a day of midday sun to keep my vitamin D level up and feel functional and that’s with being fair skinned. Now that I’m healthy and my thyroid function and temps are stable (averaging 99°), I find myself drawn to the shade like I was as a child and only needing roughly 15 to 20 minutes of morning sun (between 9 and 11am) a few times a week. I also supplement small amounts of D3, but do that for its anti-inflammatory nature.

Oleg

Too much sunshine always depressed me. How much is too much I think depends on where you were born and the genetics. It might have nothing to do with vitamins, it might have to do with what your brain and body is used to process. I feel best when there's what we call "mushroom rain" - tiny rain, no wind, cool but not cold... that's like paradise to me. In Singapore and other equator-close areas I suffered. Just my 5 copecks :)
Mushroom rain :): I miss Russia!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Can some people not make enough vitamin D from the sun?
I have stopped my vitamin D supp & have been getting lots of sunlight recently but I have been feeling significantly worse. Could be due to other things of course but I was wondering if this might be a factor?
Tempted to try taking some of my supplement but I don't want to over do the D.
I want to second what Charlie said. I’ve been diligent recently about getting morning light at sunrise outdoors and it’s made a big difference for me. I live at latitude 40 and it’s often cloudy yet the natural light still helps. My tan is pretty nice too compared to prior years despite working M-F 9-6.

Serge

Mushroom rain :): I miss Russia!
pic

It's OK, Oleg :)