Feeling worse after quitting smoking

PurpleHeart

Hello Guys So my problem is in the title, Recently I managed to quit smoking without experiencing any adverse effects due to microdosing LSD, it is well known that quitting smoking comes with elevated anxiety, aggression, stress, weight gain, and even depression, I know this all too well as I tried to quit smoking in the past without success, I believe the only reason I succeeded now is due to microdosing LSD mitigating the symptoms of quitting maybe by agonizing dopamine and antagonizing serotonin, but when I decided to take a break from microdosing I immediately started experiencing the adverse effects I mentioned.

I was smoking for 11 years since a young age and I can definitely say I absolutely love smoking, actually the main reason I quit was not because of health concerns or money saving, it was actually because I like smoking and drinking coffee so much that I spent many hours a day just chilling drinking coffee and smoking, smoking made me comfortable and happy so It had a negative effect on me being productive, like I said I spent so much time just enjoying smoking instead of being productive doing other things.

Now my problem is that 2 months after quitting not only I still suffer the symptoms of quitting, but I also don't feel better in any way, quite the contrary actually, the only exception being greatly increased sperm production, my ejaculations are soooo much bigger and thicker it's insane.

Do you think that this will eventually go away or that life is just worse if you are not smoking?

Personally I am not quite convinced smoking is so bad, it has many benefits even mainstream science recognizes like protection against Parkinson's disease, smoking rates go down every year yet
people seem less and less healthy to me, something here is amiss, or maybe I am paranoid.

Do you think that smoking could actually have a net benefit on health? despite any adverse effects it may have.

Do you think that nicotine supplementation could provide some of the benefits smoking provides? personally I don't since tobacco is much more than just nicotine and the action of smoking itself probably plays a role too, but if anyone had success with nicotine I would be interested to hear it.

I like the fact that I kicked the habit as I have more time and money now and I am more productive, although the increase in productiveness could be from microdosing and not quitting smoking.

I am thinking of smoking only one cigarette every few days just for the "rush" witch I really enjoy and the health benefits I mentioned, but I don't wanna get hooked again, and end up smoking 30 cigarettes a day again.

What is your experience guys and what do you think?

CreakyJoints

Travis wrote a lot about tobacco and nicotine, you should have a look through some of his old posts if you haven't already.

I think two months is possibly too short time to expect major changes after 11 years.

I also smoke, and have done for a while, but there are so many issues with how tobacco is grown, the paper used in the cigarettes (I assume you purchase them pre-rolled...), unknown substances in the filters - it's probably very reasonable to suggest there might be some benefits from it, but the net effect is probably not beneficial given all the problems you'll have along the way. Let's say you were able to grow your own tobacco with no pesticides in a pristine environment with the best soil available, and maybe smoke it in a remarkably clean or inert pipe: that might be good, or at least not as bad. Cigarettes, though, I doubt are helping you, even if you roll your own and use "organic" tobacco or whatever. If you're noticing larger ejaculations I'd say that's probably a good indication that stopping was beneficial.

I'd recommend trying nicotine gum or something and seeing if it helps for a while, because it's likely to be a longer while before you start feeling 100% better about it. I agree, there's probably lots more to it than just nicotine, but since that at least directly messes with your own production of dopamine, it might be a good start.

I'm not fond of the idea of taking lots of substances to "increase dopamine" as some might suggest, but maybe they're worth thinking about if things get dark for you. Perhaps there is a miracle substance I'm not aware of (funny how many miracle substances this forum discusses every day...). I think it's more important to slowly try to recover your own ability to produce it naturally, though.

Please do keep updating this thread though, it might encourage me to quit fully as well.

OP
P

PurpleHeart

Travis wrote a lot about tobacco and nicotine, you should have a look through some of his old posts if you haven't already.

I think two months is possibly too short time to expect major changes after 11 years.

I also smoke, and have done for a while, but there are so many issues with how tobacco is grown, the paper used in the cigarettes (I assume you purchase them pre-rolled...), unknown substances in the filters - it's probably very reasonable to suggest there might be some benefits from it, but the net effect is probably not beneficial given all the problems you'll have along the way. Let's say you were able to grow your own tobacco with no pesticides in a pristine environment with the best soil available, and maybe smoke it in a remarkably clean or inert pipe: that might be good, or at least not as bad. Cigarettes, though, I doubt are helping you, even if you roll your own and use "organic" tobacco or whatever. If you're noticing larger ejaculations I'd say that's probably a good indication that stopping was beneficial.

I'd recommend trying nicotine gum or something and seeing if it helps for a while, because it's likely to be a longer while before you start feeling 100% better about it. I agree, there's probably lots more to it than just nicotine, but since that at least directly messes with your own production of dopamine, it might be a good start.

I'm not fond of the idea of taking lots of substances to "increase dopamine" as some might suggest, but maybe they're worth thinking about if things get dark for you. Perhaps there is a miracle substance I'm not aware of (funny how many miracle substances this forum discusses every day...). I think it's more important to slowly try to recover your own ability to produce it naturally, though.

Please do keep updating this thread though, it might encourage me to quit fully as well.
Thanks for the answer, I agree with the fact that tobacco probably has a bunch of additional substances that are harmful, this is probably the main reason smoking should be avoided, I am quite convinced smoking is healthy but I will probably resist the urge to go back to smoking and give it another month or two and see how I feel and then decide, I will keep you updated.

Smoking cigarettes is really bad for you, but smoking organic tobacco without additives is probably good for you. It feels very different too, I don't know what crap they put in most cigarettes but there's something in them that is responsible for the addictiveness, not the nicotine.

equipoise

Inhaling any burnt plant material is estrogenic by nature of things. I wouldn't mess with tobacco. You can't expect to get better in such a short timeframe. Give it time. Your metabolism has to readjust, since it was artificially stimulated through stress.

I've also quit smoking and have nothing but good things to say about it. Quitting made me save money, my teeth are whiter than ever, lungs are recovering, my clothes don't stink etc. It's just a dirty habit is what it is.

tankasnowgod

Do you think that smoking could actually have a net benefit on health? despite any adverse effects it may have.

It has in some. As an example....

This part always gets me....

Despite well-known links between cigarette smoking and cancer, Mr Pendry balanced the decision to take up the habit against equally well-established links between ulcerative colitis and bowel cancer.

He said: 'The colitis, and the drugs used to treat it, can themselves cause cancer.

'I’m only smoking three or four cigarettes a day, so I don’t believe I am at risk.'

He says he can make a pack last about a week. That's probably both cheaper, and more enjoyable, than the other medications he was taking, and seems to be more effective.

There has been a war on tobacco for decades, so even the (legitimate) risks and harms are likely greatly overstated. In one of these types of threads, Haidut linked to someone known as "nightlight" as the logeicity forums (I think?) with a thread called "Smoking is good for you!"

Remember, Denis Leary (in a joke he may very well have stolen from Bill Hicks) said something along the lines of, even if smoking does take years off your life, it's the worst ones. It's the ones at the end.

I do think a lot of the common ciggarettes have a lot of things added that are far worse than the tobacco itself, if the tobacco is even that much of a problem. Been wanting to get a few Nat Shermans, but just haven't gotten around to it......

equipoise

He says he can make a pack last about a week. That's probably both cheaper, and more enjoyable, than the other medications he was taking, and seems to be more effective.

There has been a war on tobacco for decades, so even the (legitimate) risks and harms are likely greatly overstated. In one of these types of threads, Haidut linked to someone known as "nightlight" as the logeicity forums (I think?) with a thread called "Smoking is good for you!"

Remember, Denis Leary (in a joke he may very well have stolen from Bill Hicks) said something along the lines of, even if smoking does take years off your life, it's the worst ones. It's the ones at the end.

I do think a lot of the common ciggarettes have a lot of things added that are far worse than the tobacco itself, if the tobacco is even that much of a problem. Been wanting to get a few Nat Shermans, but just haven't gotten around to it......
inb4 smoking is good for you threads popping up.

"Independent studies (not financed by the powermongers whose sole benefit is to make you think you're going nuts!) have shown that smoking cigarettes daily is net positive. Tobacco's AI inhibition traits have been shown to possess pro-androgen, anti-estrogen beneficial qualities to them. In other words, smoke up people!"

What I won't read on this forums smh

Razvan

inb4 smoking is good for you threads popping up.

"Independent studies (not financed by the powermongers whose sole benefit is to make you think you're going nuts!) have shown that smoking cigarettes daily is net positive. Tobacco's AI inhibition traits have been shown to possess pro-androgen, anti-estrogen beneficial qualities to them. In other words, smoke up people!"

What I won't read on this forums smh
Tobacco and nicotine are the strongest aromatase inhibitors i know.

Collden

The only time in my adult life I had anything resembling normal thyroid function was when I was smoking, but the other health negatives eventually overshadowed that and I still think I'm better off without cigarettes, been 6 years since I quit. Maybe there is a way to make cigarettes work, if you also are diligent about otherwise healthy diet and healthy living. I was always smoking additive-free roll-your-owns because the pre-made ones made me acutely sick, but even rollies caused sinusitis and other problems in the long run.

Last edited:

This the link to the posts nightlight made on that forum: Smoking is good for you! - Lifestyle

It's on the Wayback Machine, since the thread got deleted.

My grandpa smoked since he was a teenager( around 12), and he's still alive at 84. He stopped when he was in his 40s. His memory is still great.

It's also known that smoking tends to make people have a bowel movement, so that means less endotoxins. Not to mention the dopaminergic, anti- estrogen( less edema) effects of tobacco. Really interesting plant.

I was looking online at a national brand of tobacco and, they have a huge warning on the package, saying " this product causes cancer" and "stop smoking". I agree that there is a war on tobacco. And this product was organic too. Then the medical establishment proceeds to recommend chemotherapy and statins, and other very toxic treatments that cause so much more harm than smoking even conventional cigarettes( although I don't think commercial ones are very good). Makes no sense.

ArtIt

This the link to the posts nightlight made on that forum: Smoking is good for you! - Lifestyle

My grandpa smoked since he was a teenager( around 12), and he's still alive at 84. He stopped when he was in his 40s. His memory is still great.

It's also known that smoking tends to make people have a bowel movement, so that means less endotoxins. Not to mention the dopaminergic, anti- estrogen( less edema) effects of tobacco. Really interesting plant.

I was looking online at a national brand of tobacco and, they have a huge warning on the package, saying " this product causes cancer" and "stop smoking". I agree that there is a war on tobacco. And this product was organic too. Then the medical establishment proceeds to recommend chemotherapy and statins, and other very toxic treatments that cause so much more harm than smoking even conventional cigarettes( although I don't think commercial ones are very good). Makes no sense.
That's what I noticed when I tried to quit drinking, quit drinking for several months, but started to smoke 5-6 cigarettes daily, and with this regiment I had a regular bowel movement when smoked a cigarette after my daily morning yoga. Eventually, I quit smoking, but I still drink and as for memory my memory is not probably bad, since in the last covid virus year and isolation I was able to make myself understand a seventh language. I don't speak that many languages, but I can understand more or less. (some dialects are really hard, like Swiss German.)

Last edited:

Ben.

I always wondered about that, it has to have some possitive effect. Especially when people go drinking for a friday night they smoke thoose things down like its a bottle of water. It also seems to be one hell of a social catalyst.

One thing most ex smokers report tho is better breathing and improvements when doing sports.

But it does not seem to be what the op was asking. Only smoking a "little" ... idk it always seem to make people fall back more. Like on a realy bad day your like ..."awwh what the hell are a few more gonna do ..." to justify the behaviour.

Perhaps the withdrawal phase takes longer like creakyjoints said?

equipoise

Your grandfather, with all due respect to the man, grew up in completely different times. The difference is quite astonishing. Also your grandpa hitting 84 while smoking is great. I wish nothing but the best to him.

Still, how many die annually from lung cancer?
Tobacco is definitely an interesting plant, but also commercial cigarettes have NOTHING in common with any of the beneficial aspects of the said plant. They are proven carcinogenic.

And, please, don't fall for lies such as organic tobacco/no additives. Your best bet is snus.

nitro warrior

How about the fact that you do it from a young age and for many years playing a role? Even if it mostly has downsides perhaps you are so acclimated to it that you now need it to optimally function for life? Still doesn't mean it wouldn't harm you in some way though.

meatbag

Hello Guys So my problem is in the title, Recently I managed to quit smoking without experiencing any adverse effects due to microdosing LSD, it is well known that quitting smoking comes with elevated anxiety, aggression, stress, weight gain, and even depression, I know this all too well as I tried to quit smoking in the past without success, I believe the only reason I succeeded now is due to microdosing LSD mitigating the symptoms of quitting maybe by agonizing dopamine and antagonizing serotonin, but when I decided to take a break from microdosing I immediately started experiencing the adverse effects I mentioned.

I was smoking for 11 years since a young age and I can definitely say I absolutely love smoking, actually the main reason I quit was not because of health concerns or money saving, it was actually because I like smoking and drinking coffee so much that I spent many hours a day just chilling drinking coffee and smoking, smoking made me comfortable and happy so It had a negative effect on me being productive, like I said I spent so much time just enjoying smoking instead of being productive doing other things.

Now my problem is that 2 months after quitting not only I still suffer the symptoms of quitting, but I also don't feel better in any way, quite the contrary actually, the only exception being greatly increased sperm production, my ejaculations are soooo much bigger and thicker it's insane.

Do you think that this will eventually go away or that life is just worse if you are not smoking?

Personally I am not quite convinced smoking is so bad, it has many benefits even mainstream science recognizes like protection against Parkinson's disease, smoking rates go down every year yet
people seem less and less healthy to me, something here is amiss, or maybe I am paranoid.

Do you think that nicotine supplementation could provide some of the benefits smoking provides? personally I don't since tobacco is much more than just nicotine and the action of smoking itself probably plays a role too, but if anyone had success with nicotine I would be interested to hear it.

I like the fact that I kicked the habit as I have more time and money now and I am more productive, although the increase in productiveness could be from microdosing and not quitting smoking.

I am thinking of smoking only one cigarette every few days just for the "rush" witch I really enjoy and the health benefits I mentioned, but I don't wanna get hooked again, and end up smoking 30 cigarettes a day again.

What is your experience guys and what do you think?
niacinamide-aspirin-baking soda combo helped me a ton quit smoking, stronger than wellbutrin, and with the side effects. I noticed higher smoking cravings if I ate starch as well, there seems to be some benefit with the intestine for smokers

aguineapig

I would suggest nasal snuff as a nearly perfect, low risk tobacco. Snus is ok too.

Last edited:
OP
P

PurpleHeart

niacinamide-aspirin-baking soda combo helped me a ton quit smoking, stronger than wellbutrin, and with the side effects. I noticed higher smoking cravings if I ate starch as well, there seems to be some benefit with the intestine for smokers
Interesting , but for the moment I am not taking any supplements I am experimenting with a pretty "clean" diet of enjoyable foods, basically I never eat things I don't enjoy, I seem to be doing fine but I need to give it more time.

So no liver oysters cow milk etc.

I realized that its stupid to eat things I don't enjoy just because they are theoretically good for me, I am trying to find foods that I both enjoy eating and find helpful health wise.

also I reduced refined sucrose consumption and I seem to do better without it.

Another "non-peaty" thing that I enjoy a lot is working out, it makes me feel very nice, I don't find it stressful at all quite the contrary actually.

My smoking cravings are almost completely gone, it's just that I don't see a clear benefit after quitting yet, maybe it's too soon.

P

Peatness

Interesting , but for the moment I am not taking any supplements I am experimenting with a pretty "clean" diet of enjoyable foods, basically I never eat things I don't enjoy, I seem to be doing fine but I need to give it more time.

So no liver oysters cow milk etc.

I realized that its stupid to eat things I don't enjoy just because they are theoretically good for me, I am trying to find foods that I both enjoy eating and find helpful health wise.

also I reduced refined sucrose consumption and I seem to do better without it.

Another "non-peaty" thing that I enjoy a lot is working out, it makes me feel very nice, I don't find it stressful at all quite the contrary actually.

My smoking cravings are almost completely gone, it's just that I don't see a clear benefit after quitting yet, maybe it's too soon.
I too gave up smoking a few months ago. Like you I don't feel that much better yet, rather, I feel sluggish and my digestion has slowed. I used nicotine patches and thyroid (tyronene and tyromix). Thyroid really helped me quit this time round. I have quit before but always relapsed. The thyroid may need help to adjust to smoking cessation.

Tobacco smoking and thyroid function: a population-based study - PubMed (nih.gov)

Razvan

Smoking will give you higher T4 and if the liver is in a good place it will produce more T3 and lower TSH thus tobacco and nicotine have pro-thyroid effects on the gland. By stopping them you will cause a temporarily decreased thyroid state.

Since nicotine is a dopaminergic substances you also will lower your D2 dopamine signalling after stopping.
Thus you can drink coffee/caffeine because of acting similarly.
Methylene blue together with caffeine should prevent the fall of the thyroid and the dopamine lowering.

TheSir

After quitting substance abuse, it can take several months, even a couple of years to feel as if you never used it. I quit daily cannabis use 7 months ago and I'm only now starting to feel normal. For the first six months. I was lethargic, depressed, anxious and fragile to stress. Look into 'post-acute withdrawal syndrome', all substances have similar post acute withdrawal.