Feeling Bad On Raw Salad

RisingSun

Can anyone explain to me from a Peat standpoint why I feel my brain is cloudy and my energy is low after a big raw vegetable salad (pepers, feta cheese, olives, onions, spinach leaves, potatoes)?

olive

Cheese may also be a culprit as it acts on your opioid receptors. Drink a coffee with cheese to block it’s effects on energy levels.

Spokey

A Peaty explanation would might be endotoxin from bacterial fermentation from the fibres and starch, particularly from spinach and potatoes.

Wagner83

I also did bad on raw salads, I guess the raw veggies can irritate the digestive tract which can lead to potent negative effects. Potatoes in a salad means a lot of resistant starch, this is bad as well. The feta may not be an issue but the fat content of feta and olives may be depending on the quantity.

Aymen

I also did bad on raw salads, I guess the raw veggies can irritate the digestive tract which can lead to potent negative effects. Potatoes in a salad means a lot of resistant starch, this is bad as well. The feta may not be an issue but the fat content of feta and olives may be depending on the quantity.
did you try raw celery ?

Wagner83

Yes. Although it was mixed with other things for the most part. Cooked celery was awful, I don't do well with foods high in nitrates, aat least I didn't and haven't tried in some time.
Oh yeah, onions and perhaps sulfur could be a culprit too, garlic gives me sinus issues, so do onions.

Aymen

i eat onion and garlic raw 3 times a week and i,m doing fine with them ..
i do well with raw celery and spinach and lettuce and tomatoes but nowadays i started to cook them.

Tenacity

"RP: Some of the foods most often recommended are among the worst. For example: fish oil and other polyunsaturated fats, nuts and legumes, and raw salad vegetables. They contain substances that inhibit the metabolism, and that support bacterial overgrowth in the intestine."

Amazoniac

Microbial degradation of complex carbohydrates in the gut

"There is a strong interest in optimising the colonic microbiota through dietary manipulation. A prebiotic has been defined as “a selectively fermented ingredient that allows specific changes, both in the composition and/or activity in the gastrointestinal microflora that confers benefits upon host well-being and health”68,69. Currently used prebiotics are mainly low digestible carbohydrates that are found naturally in foods. These include xylo-oligosaccharides (XOS), galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS) and fructans, including ♥ƹӝʒ ̧.•* ́ ̈ *•.̧ inulin ̧.•* ́ ̈ *•ƹӝʒ♥ and fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS).70,71 Any dietary substrate that remains undigested in the upper GIT, and that may have beneficial effects, is however a potential prebiotic. The health benefits attributed to various prebiotics, including FOS and GOS, have been extensively reviewed (eg.70,71).

Most of the available information on prebiotics has focused on fructans which were the first carbohydrates to be used to increase the abundance of bifidobacteria in the human colon. The ♥ƹӝʒ ̧.•* ́ ̈ *•.̧ inulin ̧.•* ́ ̈ *•ƹӝʒ♥ type fructans are present in foods such as onions, garlic and bananas that are linear polymers of β (2,1)-linked fructose residues, with terminal glucose residues (Fig. 1). Oligofructose has a DP (degree of polymerisation) of between two and eight units and inulin has a DP of up to 65. Bacterial utilization of fructans is dependent on the presence of β-fructofuranosidases. Different bacterial β-fructofuranosidases vary in their ability to cleave the β(2,1) bonds in sucrose, FOS and inulin.72"

Last edited:

fradon

Can anyone explain to me from a Peat standpoint why I feel my brain is cloudy and my energy is low after a big raw vegetable salad (pepers, feta cheese, olives, onions, spinach leaves, potatoes)?

all that fiber and starch and the potatoes have resistance starch even worse if you are eating them raw. Fiber takes a while to conver to glucose if at all...its not really brain food.

then the spinach between the high oxalates which can effect some people and then the high folate which can kill energy in some people who have methylation issues.

brain likes sugars and protein

because it runs on glucose and it needs protein to make neurotransmitters add a little fat to slow it down and you are good.

I didn’t know potatoes can be ingested raw. Spud fit did it wrong I guess. Greens should always be boiled or steamed. There’s no reason to eat large amounts of olives onions and peppers in one sitting. The olives and cheese are high fat which fills your blood with fat quickly. Peppers are not optimal for most. Could be poor quality enzymes in the cheese.

Lilac

Any of the raw ingredients could also be harboring bacteria. Cold water washing won't eradicate those.

The idea that a big salad--even a daily big salad--is health-giving is deeply ingrained in our culture. And I still can't let go of the slimming aspect of eating salads. On top of that, I actually enjoy a good salad. But through experimentation, I have found that, for me, a big salad is a negative. I can get away with an occasional small salad, and that doesn't cause a big slowdown.

yerrag

Its either cheese or potatoes
Or both. Cheese is protein and digesting protein requires some sugar. The potatoes may serve as a source of sugar, except that it is raw and it is difficult to digest it, hence there the sugar from potatoes was nowhere to be found due to the length of time to digest it, and the protein digestion used plenty of blood sugar. The resulting blood sugar caused the feeling of brain cloudiness. This is confirmed by the feeling of low energy.

Try cooking the potatoes next time.

Did you really eat raw potatoes? Do vegans even do that?

Xisca

Listen to your body first and foremost ! He hates this food! Change!

OP
R

RisingSun

Listen to your body first and foremost ! He hates this food! Change!

That’s exactly what seems to happen.

I recently was craving milk after not drinking any for the past 15 years.
I bought some whole milk, been drinking a quart every morning.
I feel fantastic since I started a week ago.

I’m starting to try and listen to my cravings, instead of the diet dogma that I’ve read so far (vegan, paleo...)

Xisca

That's fine but a craving is too strong. I hope you can tune in more finely with time because a craving is shouting of the body! I hope you can stand raw milk.
You get no meat?

I never eat raw veggies anymore except for carrot, and a little onion or garlic. I never did feel good eating salads but didn't notice the cause and effect.