Feel great throught the day....but TERRIBLE at night

Nips

Since starting Ray Peats diet my temps are around 37 throughout the entire day. I'm waking up in the mid 36's.

I feel warm and good all day.

But as soon as 10pm hits....my temps plummet. Within one hour I go from 37 to 36. I start shaking. I go to bed.

I then wake up at least three times throughout the night with adrenaline surging through me. I take 1/2 teaspoon of salt and tablespoon of sugar. The salt tastes so good at that time of the night when I feel that way.

But then a couple of hours later, the same thing happens. I almost jolt out of bed like I was electrocuted with anxiety.
It usually happens at 11pm, 1am and then sometime around 5am.

I've started taking a small meal before bed which has only helped a little - Ice cream, salt and a small amount of crisps.

I dont understand why this is happening especially since I feel so good throughout the day.

Someone please help me out.

Regards!

P.S. I'm slight hypothyroid. Have elevated TSH levels. My liver is burdened with mold toxins at the moment.

Mittir

You can take 2-3 tbs of sugar instead of one tbs. I have noticed best results when i take 2-3 tbs sugar in a glass of milk.
Adding 2-3 tbs sugar to 100 grams of cottage cheese before bed is great too. You still need to take salt with it.
Casein slowly releases amino acids into your system and that is very helpful. Eating your carrot salad in the afternoon helps with sleep too.

Beebop

Hi Nips, I've been having night-time trouble too. I emailed RP about it and he suggested food intolerances - endotoxin activity increasing in the night. To test I cut out two likely offending foods and have had immediate good results. It's still too early to tell for me if this is it, so I will report with more details when I'm more certain.

The point is - it might be something to try, although how you tell which foods to eliminate is another matter!

OP
N

Nips

Beebop said:
Hi Nips, I've been having night-time trouble too. I emailed RP about it and he suggested food intolerances - endotoxin activity increasing in the night. To test I cut out two likely offending foods and have had immediate good results. It's still too early to tell for me if this is it, so I will report with more details when I'm more certain.

The point is - it might be something to try, although how you tell which foods to eliminate is another matter!

Interesting. What foods did you cut out?

I really dont think I'm intolerant to anything other that gluten and I havent been having much of that.

OP
N

Nips

One thing to add is that I wake up with a runny nose all the time now. Could this be a sign of an allergen consumed the night before?

OP
N

Nips

jyb said:
You take aspirin without vitamin K?

Take 150mg aspirin with about 300mcg vit k1.

I think its mcg and not anything else. Dont have the bottle on me at the moment. But its 300% the Daily Value. Should I be taking more?

I was hoping for some of the blood thinning effects due to some of the heart symptoms i get.

jyb

Maybe skip aspirin and vit E for a few days and see if you still get it. For me, only aspirin has been able to cause this when I wasn't taking extra K. The dose seems ok, though once you determined that it was due to aspirin for sure then you could try K2 instead maybe?

gretchen

Why not try going to sleep earlier? Your system might smooth out if you get to bed before 10.

Swandattur

Could the runny nose be from food allergy? I have stuffy/ sometimes runny nose problems that seem to be from food allergies or maybe histamine intolerance. I get night sweats sometimes, although mostly my cold clammy problem at night has cleared up. I think the night sweats might be from endotoxin in my case.

HDD

"Increased body temperature improves sleep, especially the deep slow wave sleep. A hot bath, or even warming the feet, has the same effect as thyroid in improving sleep. Salty and sugary foods taken at bedtime, or during the night, help to improve the quality and duration of sleep. Both salt and sugar lower the adrenalin level, and both tend to raise the body temperature."

HDD

I just tried feet in the bucket with Epsom salts while eating broth. I feel like I am sweating. Eating ice cream to cool down now. Lol

Swandattur

I hate when I go through the too hot, then too cold, then too hot again, repeated over and over cycle. I'm 59, though. I suppose it's a move up from too cold for too long.

OP
N

Nips

Well heres the issue. From 10pm - 11pm my temps drop from 37C to 36C. I get tremors and breathing difficulty. The same thing then happens around 1am and then again at 5am.

Salt tastes extremely good at this point. Like almost feels in a way that Im losing salt or that I really need it at that point. But the sharp adrenaline surge that wakes me up is quite strong.

Swandattur

Maybe there is something you're eating in evening or even during the day that causes endotoxin at night. Maybe you should try the raw carrot before bed.
This is probably a different matter, but I was starting to have insomnia recently, and then it stopped. I hadn't had that type of insomnia where I'm too revved up to sleep since eliminating grains completely. Then I read on this forum, I think, that aspirin just before bedtime can cause insomnia, because it's energizing. That made me feel better, because I had been taking aspirin at night during that time.
I think cocoa causes some kind of problem for me with insulin maybe. Maybe they ought to set up a problematic food and supplements list here with possible reactions.
Salt and sugar do seem to help on these nighttime disturbances. If you could tolerate a light, maybe the red light at night would help.

HDD

"Blood sugar falls at night, and the body relies on the glucose stored in the liver as glycogen for energy, and hypothyroid people store very little sugar. As a result, adrenalin and cortisol begin to rise almost as soon as a person goes to bed, and in hypothyroid people, they rise very high, with the adrenalin usually peaking around 1 or 2 A.M., and the cortisol peaking around dawn; the high cortisol raises blood sugar as morning approaches, and allows adrenalin to decline. Some people wake up during the adrenalin peak with a pounding heart, and have trouble getting back to sleep unless they eat something.

If the night-time stress is very high, the adrenalin will still be high until breakfast, increasing both temperature and pulse rate. The cortisol stimulates the breakdown of muscle tissue and its conversion to energy, so it is thermogenic, for some of the same reasons that food is thermogenic."

HDD

Is this a temporary condition? Corrected by diet and thyroid meds?