Feeding hungry children

Sole

Hi all! I’m relatively new to this way of eating, and I’m struggling to find ways to feed my hungry children... the meats allowed seem restrictive, fruits allowed are little, and vegetables is literally 3. ??
We usually eat chicken, red meat, or fish with lunch and dinner, and eggs or yogurt for breakfast. Now I’m seeing no yogurt, limit eggs. Also, chicken every 10 days, and limit beef. So I honestly am at a loss for what to feed my kids. They won’t drink milk for every meal, but even if they did, it wouldn’t last long. Please send some suggestions my way!!
thank you!

Grischbal

Ice Cream
Homemade Jello/Gelatin where they can just take pieces when they want
Milk
Fruit Juices
Dried Dates or Plums

Tenacity

I've been in the Peatosphere for a while now, tried just about every combination of Peat-approved foods, and my only conclusion from it is that it hurts to be too orthorexic about food choice. Minimise PUFA, hit your nutritional requirements and eat real food, and you have won the battle.

OP
S

Sole

I've been in the Peatosphere for a while now, tried just about every combination of Peat-approved foods, and my only conclusion from it is that it hurts to be too orthorexic about food choice. Minimise PUFA, hit your nutritional requirements and eat real food, and you have won the battle.
This is how I feel about it too! Glad to see I’m not alone! Thank you so much!

Lyla

would they eat cheese? Greek yoghurt is ok. Dr Peat wrote that growing children need quite a big of tryptophan as well. I cant find the original article.

schultz

Hi all! I’m relatively new to this way of eating, and I’m struggling to find ways to feed my hungry children... the meats allowed seem restrictive, fruits allowed are little, and vegetables is literally 3. ??
We usually eat chicken, red meat, or fish with lunch and dinner, and eggs or yogurt for breakfast. Now I’m seeing no yogurt, limit eggs. Also, chicken every 10 days, and limit beef. So I honestly am at a loss for what to feed my kids. They won’t drink milk for every meal, but even if they did, it wouldn’t last long. Please send some suggestions my way!!
thank you!

Chicken breast is fine more often than every 10 days IMO, especially for kids who have a fast metabolism and are growing (they won't store PUFA to the same extent as an adult). The same goes for eggs. Eggs are a good source of nutrients for kids so I wouldn't worry about limiting them as much as I would for myself.

Fish is fine. Cod and sole are good.

Corn tortillas are good. You can make quesadillas in the oven with melted cheese or you can cut the tortillas into triangles and make nachos deep fried in coconut oil. I found all corn noxtamalized tortillas at Walmart in Canada.

Yogurt is fine. Greek yogurt is strained and low in lactic acid and is widely available now.

Rice pudding if you want to switch things up a bit.

Sometimes I make custard or ricotta pie. Ricotta pie is 1 container of ricotta (1lbs), 4 egg yolks (the whites make it too moist), 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, chocolate chips, 20 drops energin if you want. Bake at 250 for 1hr to 1hr 30min. I like to try and dry it out so I bake on low for a long time. I find if you leave it out all day it dries up a bit and tastes way better. The pie is very high in protein and nutrients. I sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips on top before I bake it, I don't mix them in with the "batter".

Pork tenderloin is low in fat and high in b vitamins.

Most cooked vegetables are fine. Potatoes, white rice as well. Steak of course. All beef sausage (or lamb or goat). I make my own sausage and you can make all different kinds.

My kids favourite meal is liver. My son asked for liver for his 5 year birthday dinner. We said he could have anything he wants. I cook it on a charcoal BBQ and use liver that is vacuum sealed and frozen. I take it from the freezer and put it frozen on the BBQ and the BBQ is as hot as I can make it. I carmelize onions in a pan with butter for about 30 min. Then I make bacon and cut the bacon up and put it in with the onions then I add vanilla haagendazs to the onions. Sounds weird but I used to add a bit of vanilla, cream and some sweetness and I was always out of cream because it's hard to find carrageenan free cream so I started using ice cream. The kids don't use the onions mix though. They just eat chopped liver with salt lol. Sometimes they put maple syrup on it. When done on the charcoal it has a bacon flavour and bacon with maple syrup is not that weird. That's what the liver tastes like.

My kids eat ripe bananas. I buy mango, cherimoya, atemoya when I can. Grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe (specific variety called "sugar kiss"). Canned lychees, mandarins.

You can make sourdough bread, or simply soak wheat for 12 hours+ then use commercial yeast. Soaking will apparently do the same thing as the sourdough process. I use unenriched white flour. Then you can make french toast!

schultz

Cheese of course. My kids like romano and Parmesan, which they call "salty cheese". We also eat generic mozzarella, etc.

They eat ice cream and drink milk before bed every night. They sleep well, never have nightmares, and don't wake up to pee. They will wake up in the morning and not pee for like an hour, which I find weird because they drink more than a cup of milk before bed.

Edit: Just something to keep in mind. A lot of Ray's recommendations (which is what they are, not rules) are for people who are quite unhealthy (and adults to boot). For example, kids need more tryptophan (which some above mentioned already). The very limited "Peat" diet might be for someone trying to break out of a deep stress. Relax a little with the kiddies. They will be miles ahead of other kids if you just follow a few basic guidelines like no high PUFA cooking oil and just cooking everything in coconut oil or butter. I have very strict rules about no french fries from restaurants, no generic chips, no doughnuts. But I will sometimes make all those things myself. Cruellers in coconut oil are awesome and have a lot of eggs in them. French fries: cut potatoes into French fries, instant pot for 5 minutes in water, drain and place fries on paper towel. Deep fry in coconut oil. Best fries!

Last edited:

MidBicep

thank you!
Greek yogurt is fine because it's strained. Eggs are okay for up to 2 a day. You can add cheese and offal. Potatoes that are well cooked and mashed with some SFA (butter, cheese, coconut oil) are also good. White rice is OK but nutritionally empty.
Fruit is fine, I doubt they will develop gut issues from some fiber, it helps me a lot personally.
Cooked greens are also OK, but I'd go with low fodmaps.
I'm finding great success with vertical diet in terms of gut issues and staying warm and it's also based on a lot of Peat's principles, so I'd say check that out

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals