Feeding Cats The Peat Way!

narouz

What way would that be?

I would think that cats in the wild
eat a lot of squirrels and mice and birds,
which have in turn eaten a lot of PUFAs.

So one might think: well, PUFA probably doesn't hurt cats like it hurts us humans.

But then: I've heard Peat discuss, in an interview, how minks were (in effect) poisoned
and killed by eating horsemeat
from horses which had in turn been fed a lot of PUFA.

An obscure question, I know.
And yet: it must be asked. :geek:

Ray-Z

I'm glad you raised this question, Narouz. I worry about the health of my friends' and relatives' cats, or, should I say, their FELINE OVERLORDS.

Aside: I once knew some vegans who tried to turn their cat vegan. It was all I could do to keep myself from invading their home and liberating the poor creature.

Jellyfish

Ray-Z said:
I'm glad you raised this question, Narouz. I worry about the health of my friends' and relatives' cats, or, should I say, their FELINE OVERLORDS.

Aside: I once knew some vegans who tried to turn their cat vegan. It was all I could do to keep myself from invading their home and liberating the poor creature.
:shock: Poor cat, it is a form of animal abuse.

nwo2012

My cat does well from organic pet mince and liver and chicken hearts twice weekly. Every 2nd day I mix in some refined coconut oil. Also drinks only organic raw milk. She looks very healthy. All meat is raw of course.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If you love fuzzy little squirrels you might not want to read below.

I just watched my friends cat eat an entire squirrel minus the hair. He was really chowing down. I guess maybe he is getting ready for winter, I dunno. Are squirrels Peat friendly? :lol:

JDW

Interesting.

I would think that horse is not really species appropriate for minks which may have played a factor? And, which species of mink would be a question. Minks eat mostly fish, frogs, insects, eggs, and crabs. Interesting.

My dog is raw fed and eats the muscle meat, organs, bones, etc. of all types of animals plus some coconut oil and eggs now and then but a wolf would be eating those things in the wild (aside from the coconut oil). He gets a lot of PUFA from the chicken I suppose but he seems way more healthy than many of his counterparts. My cats are old ladies and refused a transition to raw feeding so they get crapple. :D But, cats are carnivores through and through so mice, squirrels, rabbits, chickens, snakes, lizards, etc. (full bodies with organs and bones) seems like it would be the "Peat Way" of eating since its species appropriate.

OP
N

narouz

JDW said:
Interesting.

I would think that horse is not really species appropriate for minks which may have played a factor? And, which species of mink would be a question. Minks eat mostly fish, frogs, insects, eggs, and crabs. Interesting.

My dog is raw fed and eats the muscle meat, organs, bones, etc. of all types of animals plus some coconut oil and eggs now and then but a wolf would be eating those things in the wild (aside from the coconut oil). He gets a lot of PUFA from the chicken I suppose but he seems way more healthy than many of his counterparts. My cats are old ladies and refused a transition to raw feeding so they get crapple. :D But, cats are carnivores through and through so mice, squirrels, rabbits, chickens, snakes, lizards, etc. (full bodies with organs and bones) seems like it would be the "Peat Way" of eating since its species appropriate.

On the minks-eating-horsemeat thing,
I believe I heard that in an interview with Peat.
He was discussing the dangers of PUFA
and how the livestock industry was well aware of it
because of experiments where, for example,
minks were diseased and dying from eating horsemeat
from horses which had in turn been fed a high PUFA diet.
The minks when autopsied had the yellow fat, lipofuscum,
and other signs that they were overrun with estrogen (from excess PUFA).
So goes Peat's argument.

About "species appropriate[ness]":
I wonder if this would be how Peat would address it?
He's not big of species appropriate arguments with regard to humans.

OP
N

narouz

nwo2012 said:
My cat does well from organic pet mince and liver and chicken hearts twice weekly. Every 2nd day I mix in some refined coconut oil. Also drinks only organic raw milk. She looks very healthy. All meat is raw of course.

"organic pet mince,"
nwo-
That must be some of that Aussie-speak we Yanks can understand. :)
Is "mince" like Australian for "mix"?

I wish my cat would eat coconut oil,
but she seems to detect even a wee bit mixed (minced?) in with her healthfood store wet catfood.

Milk...hmmm...
I guess, now that I think of it,
I may be operating under the perhaps false, old-school tenet
that cats shouldn't drink milk.

I've researched how to make catfood yourself
from raw (or cooked) meat and bones
(and other crucial vitamins and substances which they Must get).
But those sources are not Peat-informed.
They don't have any knowledge about PUFA and their dangers.

Well--for humans.
Does the PUFA danger extend to pets?
I would think so.
The mink example is just one,
but Peat discusses the disease and death of various livestock
due to PUFA poisoning.
That data formed part of the foundation for his views about the NON-essentialness
of the supposedly "essential" fatty acids.
You know of that, yes?--
the dramatically bad effects upon livestock when fed PUFA diets.
(well, some of those bad effects the livestock industry liked:
the animals got fat faster and upon less feed.

When I look at even most high-quality catfoods,
they make it a selling point to ADD PUFA from flaxseed and other sources.
I'm thinking this is bad for my cat just as it was bad for me... :cry:

OP
N

narouz

Ray-Z said:

"FELINE OVERLORDS"
Yes, Ray-Z.
Has a Peatian flavor.
Or: how about "Authoritarian Feline Poisoners"...? :)

J

j.

narouz said:

Not sure about that. Don't they have lower body temperatures? I thought one of the reasons PUFAs were bad was because they go bad on high temps. But if fishes have lower body temperature than cats, then I guess it's bad for them too.

OP
N

narouz

"Between the first and second world wars, cod liver oil was recommended as a vitamin supplement, at first as a source of vitamin A, and later as a source of vitamins A and D. But in the late 1940s, experimenters used it as the main fat in dogs' diet, and found that they all died from cancer, while the dogs on a standard diet had only a 5% cancer mortality. That sort of information, and the availability of synthetic vitamins, led to the decreased use of cod liver oil."--Dr. Ray Peat

from Fats and Degeneration
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fats-degeneration3.shtml

So there's some Peat info about dogs fed PUFA in the form of cod liver oil.
I believe the other stuff I've been discussing,
like minks dying from being fed horsemeat from horses fed high-PUFA diets,
comes from an interview,
and I'm not sure which one....

nwo2012

narouz said:
nwo2012 said:

"organic pet mince,"
nwo-
That must be some of that Aussie-speak we Yanks can understand. :)
Is "mince" like Australian for "mix"?

I wish my cat would eat coconut oil,
but she seems to detect even a wee bit mixed (minced?) in with her healthfood store wet catfood.

Milk...hmmm...
I guess, now that I think of it,
I may be operating under the perhaps false, old-school tenet
that cats shouldn't drink milk.

I've researched how to make catfood yourself
from raw (or cooked) meat and bones
(and other crucial vitamins and substances which they Must get).
But those sources are not Peat-informed.
They don't have any knowledge about PUFA and their dangers.

Well--for humans.
Does the PUFA danger extend to pets?
I would think so.
The mink example is just one,
but Peat discusses the disease and death of various livestock
due to PUFA poisoning.
That data formed part of the foundation for his views about the NON-essentialness
of the supposedly "essential" fatty acids.
You know of that, yes?--
the dramatically bad effects upon livestock when fed PUFA diets.
(well, some of those bad effects the livestock industry liked:
the animals got fat faster and upon less feed.

When I look at even most high-quality catfoods,
they make it a selling point to ADD PUFA from flaxseed and other sources.

I think mince is the same as hamburger meat in US, i.e. it's made from all the supposedly undesirable cuts of meat that are ground up. This particular organic mince has nothing added so it's just cuts of meat ground up and hence has plenty of gelatin in it.
Cats are said to be lactose intolerant. Raw milk has lactase producing bacteria which help with the lactose digestion. I think that's why cats have no problem with small amounts of raw milk. Cats fed a raw meat diet dont drink much either, there's plenty of fluid in the food. Lol it's pretty sad as the cat breeder we got our cat from did not agree with us giving the cat raw milk but said to use Whiskas milk substitute. It's made from soy!
Yes 'good' cat foods tend to contain corn and vegetable oils! Big joke really.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:lol:

Attachments

• pufa_cat.JPG
    pufa_cat.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 682

Ray-Z

Charlie said:

:rolling

IMO, Charlie, you and your PUFA cat just won what was already a thread of high quality. Your reward will be a ball of yarn, a catnip mouse, and a dead squirrel.

Incidentally, we need a new thread to discuss whether catnip is estrogenic. ;) (J/k.)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rolling

Thats two dead squirrels in one day!!! :dancenanner

Ray-Z

nwo2012 said:

nwo2012: Your cat eats better than many humans!

Ray-Z

narouz said:
Ray-Z said:

"FELINE OVERLORDS"
Yes, Ray-Z.
Has a Peatian flavor.
Or: how about "Authoritarian Feline Poisoners"...? :)

Narouz: I botched my second sentence above. I meant to refer to the cats as my friends' and relatives' feline overlords. Yes, the PUFA-mongers are indeed authoritarian feline- (and human-) poisoners. In a just world, they would bear many clawmarks.

nwo2012

Ray-Z said:
nwo2012 said:

Ray-Z, my cat has a greater ability to critically analyse than many humans.
Would also say she deserves to eat better than many humans.

Ray-Z

nwo2012 said:
Ray-Z said:
nwo2012 said:

Ray-Z, my cat has a greater ability to critically analyse than many humans.
Would also say she deserves to eat better than many humans.

Just to avoid possible miscommunication...I think it's great you feed your cat so well. My remark was intended as a compliment. On reflection though, I wonder if, in comparing her with humans, we aren't both setting the bar a bit too low for your cat. :D