Feeding Backyard Chickens For Lowest Pufa-content Eggs

DButter

Is this possible?

What would you feed them mostly, that might lead to them producing eggs that are less PUFA containing?

matisvijs

You wouldn't want to feed them grain, as they would still incorporate the n-6 fats from it in the eggs. I guess mainly left-over vegetables, fruits(if they're slightly spoiled and not suitable for human consumption) and saturated fat foods, as well as bugs.

OP
DButter

DButter

You wouldn't want to feed them grain, as they would still incorporate the n-6 fats from it in the eggs. I guess mainly left-over vegetables, fruits(if they're slightly spoiled and not suitable for human consumption) and saturated fat foods, as well as bugs.
Thanks for the reply... yeah, I'm leaning towards getting away from grain as much as possible toward food scraps from our table and other saturates, etc.

What about occasional dissolving of aspirin into their drinking water?

Hazarlar

You better find similar research like this with saturated fat sources ---> Effects of lipid sources in the diet of laying hens on the fatty acid profiles of egg yolks

Actually I found something --->
The Effect of Coconut Meal and Coconut Oil in Poultry Rations on the Performance of Laying Hens

"Two hundred forty Leghorn pullets were used in a 168-day 5 × 2 factorial arrangement to study the effects of 0, 10, 20, 30 or 40% coconut meal and 0 to 10% coconut oil to layer diet on rate of production, efficiency, body weight, egg weight, egg fat level and fatty acid composition of egg fat. With 0% added oil, coconut meal increased rate of egg production, with this rate reaching a peak when 20% meal was added. Coconut oil also increased rate of production and efficiency. Within each oil level group, feed efficiency was directly related to production rate. Birds receiving oil gained 136 gms. per bird while those fed no oil lost 79 gms. Within each oil level group, weight gain was inversely related to the level of coconut meal fed. Egg weight was depressed by feeding coconut meal and increased by coconut oil. Fat content of the egg was not significantly altered by treatment but adding oil increased the level of lauric (C12:0) and myristic (C14:0) acids and decreased the level of stearic (C18:0), oleic (C18:1) and linoleic (C18:2) acids in the fat."

Give them DeFibron or MitoLipin according to their weight. (Maybe)

Last edited:

Nemo

We created insect habitats everywhere we could--basically piles of straw or mulch or compost that we kept moist. We also raised grapes, cherries, greens, tomatoes and some lawn and let them peck around at all that. Four chickens in a 100 ft by 100 ft yard got all the insects, frogs and small snakes they could eat this way, plus some fruit and greens. We put out some chicken feed but they never ate it except for 10-12 weeks over the winter (in the Southwest).

I once watched them devour an entire nest of black widow spiders. There must have been 100 of them. Those chickens were real friends.

If you've never read it, check out One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka. His principles are a great way to keep chickens and you healthy.

OP
DButter

DButter

You better find similar research like this with saturated fat sources ---> Effects of lipid sources in the diet of laying hens on the fatty acid profiles of egg yolks

Actually I found something --->
The Effect of Coconut Meal and Coconut Oil in Poultry Rations on the Performance of Laying Hens

"Two hundred forty Leghorn pullets were used in a 168-day 5 × 2 factorial arrangement to study the effects of 0, 10, 20, 30 or 40% coconut meal and 0 to 10% coconut oil to layer diet on rate of production, efficiency, body weight, egg weight, egg fat level and fatty acid composition of egg fat. With 0% added oil, coconut meal increased rate of egg production, with this rate reaching a peak when 20% meal was added. Coconut oil also increased rate of production and efficiency. Within each oil level group, feed efficiency was directly related to production rate. Birds receiving oil gained 136 gms. per bird while those fed no oil lost 79 gms. Within each oil level group, weight gain was inversely related to the level of coconut meal fed. Egg weight was depressed by feeding coconut meal and increased by coconut oil. Fat content of the egg was not significantly altered by treatment but adding oil increased the level of lauric (C12:0) and myristic (C14:0) acids and decreased the level of stearic (C18:0), oleic (C18:1) and linoleic (C18:2) acids in the fat."

Give them DeFibron or MitoLipin according to their weight. (Maybe)

Hazarlar, I'm definitely intrigued by this --- particularly that the level of lauric increased, and that linoleic decreased in the eggs where chickens had coconut oil added to their diet!

OP
DButter

DButter

We created insect habitats everywhere we could--basically piles of straw or mulch or compost that we kept moist. We also raised grapes, cherries, greens, tomatoes and some lawn and let them peck around at all that. Four chickens in a 100 ft by 100 ft yard got all the insects, frogs and small snakes they could eat this way, plus some fruit and greens. We put out some chicken feed but they never ate it except for 10-12 weeks over the winter (in the Southwest).

I once watched them devour an entire nest of black widow spiders. There must have been 100 of them. Those chickens were real friends.

If you've never read it, check out One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka. His principles are a great way to keep chickens and you healthy.

Nemo, thanks for this! That sounds amazing for your chickens!

We've added your idea, that in the "play" yard we built for ours, to keep it moist by regular, light watering. More and more food scraps - and fruit!!! - coming in their futures. Love that black widow tidbit, although it gives me the shivers, now that I'm visualizing it.

Just ordered One-Straw Revolution from Amazon, excited to read it up when it arrives.

______

A few days ago I also started experimenting with 10 - 40 milligrams of pregnenolone for them, mixed in berries in a bowl - chickens seem to be doing great with it.

Figured I'd try, also, 10 mg pregnenolone to our five year old cat, last two nights with dinner, mixed with her wet food and 1/4 aspirin tablet crushed (we moved a few weeks ago and she's been hiding under the bed a lot)... Pokee (the cat) has been unusually social since, and out and about a ton, purring affectionately, generally seems to be doing great (even trying to lay on my wife's lap in the bathroom, haha) --- I think I'll keep it up.

Nemo

Nemo, thanks for this! That sounds amazing for your chickens!

We've added your idea, that in the "play" yard we built for ours, to keep it moist by regular, light watering. More and more food scraps - and fruit!!! - coming in their futures. Love that black widow tidbit, although it gives me the shivers, now that I'm visualizing it.

Just ordered One-Straw Revolution from Amazon, excited to read it up when it arrives.

______

A few days ago I also started experimenting with 10 - 40 milligrams of pregnenolone for them, mixed in berries in a bowl - chickens seem to be doing great with it.

Figured I'd try, also, 10 mg pregnenolone to our five year old cat, last two nights with dinner, mixed with her wet food and 1/4 aspirin tablet crushed (we moved a few weeks ago and she's been hiding under the bed a lot)... Pokee (the cat) has been unusually social since, and out and about a ton, purring affectionately, generally seems to be doing great (even trying to lay on my wife's lap in the bathroom, haha) --- I think I'll keep it up.

May try that for my 15-year-old cat. Same issue for about the past year, hiding out in the garage all the time. Thanks for the idea, DButter.

OP
DButter

DButter

May try that for my 15-year-old cat. Same issue for about the past year, hiding out in the garage all the time. Thanks for the idea, DButter.

Great, I’m curious to hear how it goes!