Fed Up Of Food Intolerances!

T

tca300

There are certain foods I struggle with that don't cause problems if consumed with large amounts of fat. I can't tolerate one glass of low fat milk without bloating and discomfort, yet full cream milk I can drink two litres of in one go no problem (though I wouldn't recommend it). Have you tried really ramping up your saturated fat intake for a short amount of time to let your body get back to normal?
Yes I am eating much more fat. I regret heavily not listening to Ray when he suggested low fat isnt usually good for proper digestion/nutrient absorption and that more fat is also better for keeping bacteria/endotoxin under control.

Lilly

There are certain foods I struggle with that don't cause problems if consumed with large amounts of fat. I can't tolerate one glass of low fat milk without bloating and discomfort, yet full cream milk I can drink two litres of in one go no problem (though I wouldn't recommend it). Have you tried really ramping up your saturated fat intake for a short amount of time to let your body get back to normal?
Same here! Full fat organic milk I can digest easily most of the time. And fatty cheeses too. Low fat milk and cheese not so much.

Interesting about increasing fat intake to tackle food intolerances...any experiences on this?

Sobieski

Yes I am eating much more fat. I regret heavily not listening to Ray when he suggested low fat isnt usually good for proper digestion/nutrient absorption and that more fat is also better for keeping bacteria/endotoxin under control.

Best of luck in your recovery!

tara

I’ll cut a long story short, I used to be bedbound diagnosed with CFS. I cut out gluten and dairy and foods with high PUFA. I regained mental strength and physically felt better for a short time. I went from 5000 kals a day to under eating which caused me problems. I tried to increase cals which has improved my health. I generally feel ok I can walk round and do basic things. But my diet is extremely limited. I just eat fresh fruit, juice, meat, potatoes, some veg. Some fish. Carrot salads coconut oil. Rice. No gluten dairy soy. I want dairy back in my diet as it would help with calories.

However, I try to introduce it..... whoooooaaaa severe diahorea and cramps bloating and then brain fog. Do I just drink milk and milk alone until my body finallyaccepts it??? Or maybe do DAY 1 one drop of milk, day 2 two drops?? Honestly any advice would be appreciated. Ps I ain’t drank milk now for over 8 years.
I don't know what will work for you, but I'm also finding I seem to do better when I leave out the dairy and gluten. And I'm trying to keep to low amounts of PUFA, soy, gums etc. And while a bit of refined sucrose seems OK, large quantities don't seem to serve me well. I think I have a bit more tolerance to butter than other dairy products, but too much of that seems to mess with me too, so I've backed off it again, this time not to PUFA oils.

So that leaves me with mostly roots, fruit (in various forms), some other grains (eg rice, buckwheat, but not as a majority of my carbs, or it's not great), veges, meat, fish, gelatine, eggs, coconut, honey, etc. I can't run on all sugar as carbs - seem to need some starchy foods at this time. Planning to get some cocoa butter for cooking to add to this.

I don't always manage to be this restrictive, but if I drift too far off it, my health seems to do downhill again.

It takes time and planning, and when I get too much on my plate with the rest of life, this can suffer, and undereating has been an issue at times, and that messes with me too.

I think it's probably worth trying small amounts of different forms of dairy to see if you are OK with them - starting small, and backing off if symptoms bother. But if it doesn't work, then it doesn't. Experience trumps theory. I've tried lots of different forms, brands and species, and haven't found one yet that works for me in an ongoing way, much as I love them all.
Which part of the dairy is causes issues varies from person to person - lactose, proteins, etc. For me personally, aged cheeses are the worst, but for some people they are the easiest. Some find greek yogurt easier. Some find goat, or A2, or non-homogenised, or raw, or UHT, or fresh boiled milk, or lactose-free milk, or ...

I'm finding ways to add in higher density foods to other foods, or just to eat as snacks, to bump up the calories.
Dried fruit
Dark chocolate (not sure if I'm OK with this one myself, but if it agrees with you ...)
I've just added coconut butter as a portable high calorie snack. It tastes good off the spoon as a high calorie snack - or added to other dishes, etc.
Coconut oil, cocoa butter to cook with - I add coconut oil on boiled potatoes if I'm not eating them with meat
Fatty meat

The other thing I'd recommend ids seeing if you can find a wider range of roots, fruits, veges and other foods around you that agree with you. Eg I like spuds, but I get sick of them if I eat them all the time, and it helps to vary with sweet potatoes, taro, etc. And a range of veges make it more interesting - onions are nice, but whatever is in season and available to add to variety.

Currently enjoying buckwheat pancakes fried in coconut oil (I'm planning to try cocoa butter) and topped with fruit or honey or golden syrup ....

Some of these foods may not be prefect, but they seem to be better than either hunger or dairy, wheat, PUFA etc for me personally.

I figure I'm getting some calcium and magnesium from leafy greens (I eat some daily and seem to suffer if I skip it), but I also supplement a bit.

Good luck.

T

tca300

Wow that is a decent amount, do you do the D daily on the skin?
Yes. Based on how much Ray needs to keep his levels up, and the fact that a light skinned person like myself can make 10-20kIU in about 15-30 min of sun exposure ( between 10AM - 2 PM ), It seems like thats not excessive. Especially if topically only 10% gets absorbed

squanch

Yes, I typically use 10-15kIU on the skin, and then get about another 3kIU from milk.
Yes. Based on how much Ray needs to keep his levels up, and the fact that a light skinned person like myself can make 10-20kIU in about 15-30 min of sun exposure ( between 10AM - 2 PM ), It seems like thats not excessive. Especially if topically only 10% gets absorbed
Where did you get the 10% absorption information from?
There's one study that used an aloe vera + glycerin + vitamin d gel successfully and there's a new product called "primal-d" which uses dmso + vitamin d.
I would like to try topical vitamin d supplementation, but is there any evidence that the typical mct oil + vitamin d supplements actually absorb topically?

Last edited:

EIRE24

I remember before you attributed most of your acne clearing up down to vitamin A. Do you think that vitamin D plays an important factor too?

raypeatclips

Maybe your lack of fat has prevented it being used properly or something?

T

tca300

Where did you get the 10% absorption information from?
There's one study that used an aloe vera + glycerin + vitamin d gel successfully and there's a new product called "primal-d" which uses dmso + vitamin d.
I would like to try topical vitamin d supplementation, but is there any evidence that the typical mct oil + vitamin d supplements actually absorb topically?
Ray mentioned ~10% in an interview with Danny Roddy.

T

tca300

I remember before you attributed most of your acne clearing up down to vitamin A. Do you think that vitamin D plays an important factor too?
Vitamin A is what reliably keeps acne away, when I stop taking vit A, I get acne within a few days. I don't know about vitamin D.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tca300

Maybe your lack of fat has prevented it being used properly or something?
Holy smokes! Thats a great thought! Haidut posted a study showing pufa blocks its ( vitamin D ) uptake, and saturated fat promoting its uptake. Since my saturated fat intake was very low and I wasnt eating enough sugar to produce much, if any fat, it might explain some things.

EIRE24

Vitamin A is what reliably keeps acne away, when I stop taking vit A, I get acne within a few days. I don't know about vitamin D.
I wish vitamin A worked for me like this but obviously I dont have a vitamin A deficiency and this is why it doesnt help with my acne at all.

T

tca300

I wish vitamin A worked for me like this but obviously I dont have a vitamin A deficiency and this is why it doesnt help with my acne at all.
Low thyroid is a factor as well, constipation and food allergies too.

EIRE24

Low thyroid is a factor as well, constipation and food allergies too.
Yea. Hypo is certaintly a factor. Did you notice at what dosage you needed vitamin A to work at and if it only improved after you increased thyroid?