Fecal incontinence - Anyone has experience in resolving this?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Trying to help a 74 yo male with history of IBD and iron deficiency anemia (likely due to intestinal micro bleeding)
Claims it started after a bout of covid about 10 mon ago.
never vaxxed.
inflammatory markers are high
recently developing insulin resistance and diabetes

We have tried changes to diet, progest-e (even topically, with short lived improvements), a bit of cyproheptadine (inconsistent results)
herbal anti-inflammatories - curcumin, bromelain and boswellia
Andrographis
taking a custom nutraceutical formula to address anemia and fatty liver.

Any suggestions?

Energizer

The most common beginner problem on this forum is avoiding thyroid and trying many other supplements beforehand. He should read Hypothyroidism: an Unsuspected Illness by Broda Barnes. That will serve as a launching pad for self-experimentation with thyroid. Many old people are hypothyroid and a thyroid supplement often cures bowel issues and solves many health problems. I have experienced firsthand the resolving of many chronic health issues with thyroid. Cascara sagrada can also help with bowel issues. Daily fiber is essential. (If you write, "he already tried thyroid" then I will ask, how much did he try, which brand, did his pulse / temperature rise (and by how much).

P

Peatness

I am not qualified to give advice on his medical conditions but my instinct tells me he needs good nutrition to rebuild his connective tissues. Organ meats and gelatine should help. Didn't Dr Peat say gelatin was used to treat diabetes in the past?

Another consideration

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
The most common beginner problem on this forum is avoiding thyroid and trying many other supplements beforehand. He should read Hypothyroidism: an Unsuspected Illness by Broda Barnes. That will serve as a launching pad for self-experimentation with thyroid. Many old people are hypothyroid and a thyroid supplement often cures bowel issues and solves many health problems. I have experienced firsthand the resolving of many chronic health issues with thyroid. Cascara sagrada can also help with bowel issues. Daily fiber is essential. (If you write, "he already tried thyroid" then I will ask, how much did he try, which brand, did his pulse / temperature rise (and by how much).
thanks.
there hasn't been a comprehensive evaluation of his thyroid function (TSH seem low enough when it is tested).
temperature seems quite robust (perhaps deceptively so) at close to 37 C
I could have him experiment with a bit of T4 and T3 or just T3

mostlylurking

thanks.
there hasn't been a comprehensive evaluation of his thyroid function (TSH seem low enough when it is tested).
temperature seems quite robust (perhaps deceptively so) at close to 37 C
I could have him experiment with a bit of T4 and T3 or just T3
The history of gut problems plus his age make me think that a thiamine deficiency is at least part of the problem. As people age, the gut becomes less able to absorb thiamine so a deficiency is more likely. Diabetics are thiamine deficient; there's something about the kidneys clearing too much thiamine out of the system.

Low TSH does not mean that there is no thyroid problem; it means the pituitary isn't cranking out TSH for some reason. I'm hypothyroid and when my thyroid med was not working (Armour changed their formula in 2014), my TSH was .02. My endocrinologist ignores it and treats my hypothyroidism based on my T3, T4, reverse T3, and my symptoms.
Claims it started after a bout of covid about 10 mon ago.
never vaxxed.
inflammatory markers are high
The bout with an illness could have used up his thiamine stores. Good about the not vaxxed. Inflammatory marker being high point to poor oxidative metabolism/lactic acidosis which points to thiamine deficiency, hypothyroidism, or both. The thyroid needs thiamine to function.

Fecal incontinence could be problem with autonomic nervous system which goes on the fritz if thiamine deficient. Thiamine deficiency can make you incontinent.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSoBCavDgI

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Is he on corticosteroids for IBD or have an extensive history of taking them? I think those drugs can lead to muscle/tissue atrophy over the long term especially in middle age and beyond. I’m just speculating that it’s a possibility.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
The history of gut problems plus his age make me think that a thiamine deficiency is at least part of the problem. As people age, the gut becomes less able to absorb thiamine so a deficiency is more likely. Diabetics are thiamine deficient; there's something about the kidneys clearing too much thiamine out of the system.

Low TSH does not mean that there is no thyroid problem; it means the pituitary isn't cranking out TSH for some reason. I'm hypothyroid and when my thyroid med was not working (Armour changed their formula in 2014), my TSH was .02. My endocrinologist ignores it and treats my hypothyroidism based on my T3, T4, reverse T3, and my symptoms.

The bout with an illness could have used up his thiamine stores. Good about the not vaxxed. Inflammatory marker being high point to poor oxidative metabolism/lactic acidosis which points to thiamine deficiency, hypothyroidism, or both. The thyroid needs thiamine to function.

Fecal incontinence could be problem with autonomic nervous system which goes on the fritz if thiamine deficient. Thiamine deficiency can make you incontinent.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSoBCavDgI

He has been supplementing with thiamin (100 mg - 300 mg - can't remember exactly). I will double check.
Re thyroid - I will look into more thorough evaluation.
thank you for assisting.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Is he on corticosteroids for IBD or have an extensive history of taking them? I think those drugs can lead to muscle/tissue atrophy over the long term especially in middle age and beyond. I’m just speculating that it’s a possibility.
No cortisone.
this is what we are trying to avoid.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
I am not qualified to give advice on his medical conditions but my instinct tells me he needs good nutrition to rebuild his connective tissues. Organ meats and gelatine should help. Didn't Dr Peat say gelatin was used to treat diabetes in the past?

Another consideration
Interesting.
Would NAD+ depletion won't affect overall energy levels? they aren't bad for his age and condition.
his supp formula does have niacinamide as well. I need to double check the does. I will recommend gelatin and organ meats. thank you.

mostlylurking

He has been supplementing with thiamin (100 mg - 300 mg - can't remember exactly). I will double check.
Re thyroid - I will look into more thorough evaluation.
thank you for assisting.
you're welcome. About the thiamine, if it is hcl, the 100-300mg is a pretty low dose especially if he has any gut issues and is older than 60. If the thiamine is TTFD, then that's a pretty high dose. If he's taking the hcl type he might consider upping the dose after researching the matter. Perhaps considering the 100mg sublingual thiamine mononitrate would be helpful? Discussion about it is here.

I think I posted the wrong video link above. I'll try again:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSh_5AVXVsg&t=1s

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
you're welcome. About the thiamine, if it is hcl, the 100-300mg is a pretty low dose especially if he has any gut issues and is older than 60. If the thiamine is TTFD, then that's a pretty high dose. If he's taking the hcl type he might consider upping the dose after researching the matter. Perhaps considering the 100mg sublingual thiamine mononitrate would be helpful? Discussion about it is here.

I think I posted the wrong video link above. I'll try again:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSh_5AVXVsg&t=1s

your thoughts on benfothiamine?

mostlylurking

I don't know much about it, sorry. Here's an article for you:

Dr. Lonsdale is a fan of TTFD. I had a bad reaction to it because I was very low in glutathione. I stuck with thiamine hcl because Dr. Costantini always used it for his patients and had great results with it. Dr. Lonsdale says other types of thiamine don't cross the blood/brain barrier but Dr. Costantini said that thiamine hcl does just fine so long as there's enough of it to "flood the system". I've had good results with thiamine hcl, taken high dose per Dr. Costantini's information here. Although I did try the sublingual thiamine mononitrate for a few days, I went back to the thiamine hcl because I am a little leery of the "nitrate" part of that name and I didn't like how my short term memory functioned when taking it.

VonKeister

Ray spoke of a woman that corrected her vaginal prolapse with topical DHEA and progesterone (both applied directly on the prolapse). He also recommends thyroid, pregnenolone and vitamin D for weakened tissues

Phosphor

Is he leaking liquid or stool?
More than once I have had my microbiome go astray for no discernible reason. GIMAP can give you some specific on that.
For me, what I have found works for that situation, is Intestin-ol, taken as directed. Of course IF microbiome is the underlying problem.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Is he leaking liquid or stool?
More than once I have had my microbiome go astray for no discernible reason. GIMAP can give you some specific on that.
For me, what I have found works for that situation, is Intestin-ol, taken as directed. Of course IF microbiome is the underlying problem.
Leaking liquid / fecal "spray".
who or what is GIMAP
Is this intestin-ol? Intestin-ol

amz

There is a lot of research showing that a very high percentage of diabetics are deficient in thiamine.
You can become deficient in just 3 weeks of stress.

Benfo was good for me for peripheral neuropathy. TTFD was the best. But just as many people do well with thiamine HCL, in doses of up to 2400 mg/day.

Back
Top Bottom