FDA Calls For Pulling All Ranitidine Containing Drugs

J

jb116

NDMA in Zantac (ranitidine)

Posting this because the timing is interesting and I know some good things were said about ranitidine and it does have anti-viral properties. Although this looks like manufacturing/contamination issue. Regardless, it's a news story of a specific chemical talked about here, thought it may be of interest.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
NDMA in Zantac (ranitidine)

Posting this because the timing is interesting and I know some good things were said about ranitidine and it does have anti-viral properties. Although this looks like manufacturing/contamination issue. Regardless, it's a news story of a specific chemical talked about here, thought it may be of interest.
It was pulled from our drugstores at least 2 months ago, when the FDA warnings first appeared. I was using a generic but it too was pulled so I switched to famotidine.

Soren

Forum Supporter
I really struggle to believe the FDA on this. They're are pulling this from the shelves because it works as an anti-viral and they want to have it for themselves. The contamination issue seems like a cover to me.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I really struggle to believe the FDA on this. They're are pulling this from the shelves because it works as an anti-viral and they want to have it for themselves. The contamination issue seems like a cover to me.
These H2 antagonists are also supposedly somewhat mood-stabilizing or anti-depressant. Glad to hear about the anti-viral aspect.

OP
J

jb116

I felt there was some other reason this is being pushed. Losartan was actually part of this list as containing a contaminant. Good planning on their part.

Soren

Forum Supporter
When this whole things started months ago I read on another thread from a guy who claimed to be a former government employee (I think I found the link on raypeat forum somewhere) He recommended that everyone should go out and by Ranitidine ASAP because the government would eventually pull it from the shelves and hoard it.

Looks like he was right.

OP
J

jb116

When this whole things started months ago I read on another thread from a guy who claimed to be a former government employee (I think I found the link on raypeat forum somewhere) He recommended that everyone should go out and by Ranitidine ASAP because the government would eventually pull it from the shelves and hoard it.

Looks like he was right.
So there must be something unique about it applicable to this situation.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I'd love to know if the other H2 blockers have a similar, if less potent, benefit. You can still get famotidine OTC here. And possibly cimetidine

Soren

Forum Supporter
So there must be something unique about it applicable to this situation.

I think it is good in stopping the build up of fluid in the lungs via the H2 antagonism but I'm not sure.

OP
J

jb116

I think it is good in stopping the build up of fluid in the lungs via the H2 antagonism but I'm not sure.
Signs point to that, yea. My biggest overall concern is when they remove 1 they can remove other, perhaps even more beneficial things.

David PS