FAVA Beans As L Dopa Source ?

Frankdee20

Anyone have experience or accounts of using FAVA beans for Dopamine enhancement ? I’ve seen a study that yielded increased L-Dopa levels after FAVA consumption.

Now, these are extremely difficult to find in their whole food state. You can find them frozen, or canned by Progresso. In Brooklyn NY, I could find them freshly picked, pods in tact. Preparation required peeling off the outer layer, so the thin flat pale green bean could be used. They are absolutely delicious. Sauté them in olive oil, and pair with eggs, sunnyside up.

Last edited:
I thought L-Dopa in fava was not very stable when cooked... I'm not sure if raw or lightly cooked fava is gut friendly / safe. I have consumed cooked fava from soaked dried beans - and while it was tasty - I don't recall much in the way of a dopamine boost. I have read before that brown bananas are a good source of L-Dopa and it's precursors. I get positive results from ocassional mucuna pruriens supplementation.

postman

I thought L-Dopa in fava was not very stable when cooked... I'm not sure if raw or lightly cooked fava is gut friendly / safe. I have consumed cooked fava from soaked dried beans - and while it was tasty - I don't recall much in the way of a dopamine boost. I have read before that brown bananas are a good source of L-Dopa and it's precursors. I get positive results from ocassional mucuna pruriens supplementation.
There are studies that show significant dopamine increase even from canned fava bean consumption so maybe some of it gets destroyed by cooking but not all of it. Pretty much all nutrients get partially destroyed by cooking. I've found canned beans to be very easy to digest, as long as I thorougly rinse them in water before cooking, that canned liquid is nasty and probably has a ton of enzyme inhibitors in it. By the way you can increase your tolerance to beans by slowly increasing the amount you eat, kind of like how Ray tells milk sensitive people to slowly increase milk intake and the lactase enzymes will start being produced. I haven't tried fava beans though.

lvysaur

By the way you can increase your tolerance to beans by slowly increasing the amount you eat

Or by sprouting them.

Sprouting beans both removes indigestible -accharides and improves protein quality, and increases fructose/sucrose

Back
Top Bottom