Fav Salty Snack?

Mito

681632DA-8F91-43D5-9B50-9474B1EBB236.jpeg

akgrrrl

I bought a 35lb sack of blue, red, and yellow corn for popping, supposed organic.
Popped with good coconut oil, then the best melted butter I can find and seabed mined salt from Utah that I smoked with birchwood.
BIG YUMMIES. sometimes, a shake of powdered parmesan and Braggs nutritional yeast

boris

• Dried dates with salted butter
  • Salted dates with vanilla ice cream
  • Parmesan cheese with honey and salt
  • milkshake with honey and salt
  • watermelon with feta cheese
  • and of course... chocolate with saltflakes ;)
  • salted dark chocolate with orange jello is great too

Summer

• Dried dates with salted butter
  • Salted dates with vanilla ice cream
  • Parmesan cheese with honey and salt
  • milkshake with honey and salt
  • watermelon with feta cheese
  • and of course... chocolate with saltflakes ;)
  • salted dark chocolate with orange jello is great too

Dried dates and butter... I’m not sure if you’re a genius or a psychopath. Maybe both?

Summer

:lol:

It's amazing :hungry:.

Is that a popular snack in your area? It’s better than the PB and mayonnaise sandwiches my mom used to give me as a kid. No wonder my health into adulthood was off. :oops:

dukesbobby777

Macademia nuts are pricey but those are quite nice if you add salt.

One thing I miss are salted peanuts. I never really got into peanut butter, although I know many here miss it a lot.

boris

Is that a popular snack in your area?

Not that I know of :lol:, I just had the urge to mix them one day. The butter offsets the sweetness of the dates, which would otherwise be overpowering when you eat a bigger portion.

Last edited:

rei

cashew nuts with as much sea salt as i can get to stick to them. Sometimes i melt a bit of cocoa butter to make the surface sticky to catch more salt and provide some of those magical long chained saturates. Writing this i remembered that now that i have finally found tallow i should try it instead.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Not that I know of :lol:, I just had the urge to mix them one day. The butter offsets the sweetness of the dates, which would otherwise be overpowering when you eat a bigger portion.
Mixing dates with pecans taste amazing, but the high PUFA content prevents me from doing it frequently.
Also, bending dates with desiccated coconut and butter are amazing.

LuMonty

My current favorite salty snack is feta cheese. Has good sodium, calcium and protein but it's a bit expensive. Cottage cheese used to be my favorite but they all have gums and thickeners now.

cjm

Daisy Cottage Cheese scratches the salty snack itch for me like nothing else. Paired with a Coke, it's meal-esque.

Sourdough pretzels and mustard with horseradish.

I also make kefir cream cheese

BRO, YES.

boris

Mixing dates with pecans taste amazing, but the high PUFA content prevents me from doing it frequently.
Also, bending dates with desiccated coconut and butter are amazing.
Oh yeah! I used to eat them a lot with nuts in the past. Pecans indeed are amazing with them. Almonds, too.

Macadamias could be worth a try, they are only about 1.5-2% PUFAs (but they miss the nice chewiness of the pecans).

Last edited:

cjm

salted dark chocolate with orange jello is great too

I always liked the orange-flavored chocolate that came in the shape of an orange and was pre-cut into slices. Your version is elevated, for sure.

watermelon with feta cheese

That sounds so good. The extra saltiness of the feta would complement the extra wetness of the watermelon.

boris

I always liked the orange-flavored chocolate that came in the shape of an orange and was pre-cut into slices. Your version is elevated, for sure.

I never heard of those slices before, looks amazing! For me it was those chocolate covered orange sticks, basically the same thing it seems:
131344-01_dark-chocolate-covered-orange-jelly-candy-sticks-105-ounce-gift-box.jpg

That sounds so good. The extra saltiness of the feta would complement the extra wetness of the watermelon.

Oh yeah, that one is a popular pairing, too! Lots of recipes with different dressings, but I think it's really tasty on it's own.

cjm

I never heard of those slices before, looks amazing! For me it was those chocolate covered orange sticks

Those look way better than these:

upload_2020-12-1_13-28-0.jpeg

Now I'm craving dark chocolate soaked/marinated in OJ, or chocolate-stuffed salty orange Jello.

boris

[...] or chocolate-stuffed salty orange Jello.

I just made and ate some today and realized I wrote it up the wrong way. Your way is correct :smuggrin: . It's salted orange jello with dark chocolate. Salt on the jello, not on the chocolate. Big difference in taste.

What's your favorite salty snack when you don't want to prep food?
For me it's cured/dried meat, anchovies, feta and on some occasions, lays (chips).
I love these Jalapeno Chomperz! The fats and carbs are low and the protein is high! They are addicting!

Attachments

• 20210416_173855.jpg
    20210416_173855.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210416_173900.jpg
    20210416_173900.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 26