Fatty Acids Are Quorum Sensing Messenging Molecules. Oleic Promotes Swarming. SFAs Are Inhibitors

Modulation of Swarming and Virulence by Fatty Acids through the RsbA Protein in Proteus mirabilis

After sensing external signals, Proteus mirabilis undergoes a multicellular behavior called swarming which is coordinately regulated with the expression of virulence factors. Here we report that exogenously added fatty acids could act as signals to regulate swarming in P. mirabilis. Specifically, while oleic acid enhanced swarming, some saturated fatty acids, such as lauric acid, myristic acid, palmitic acid, and stearic acid, inhibited swarming. We also found that expression of hemolysin, which has been shown to be coordinately regulated with swarming, was also inhibited by the above saturated fatty acids.

Modulation of Swarming and Virulence by Fatty Acids through the RsbA Protein in Proteus mirabilis

Through a structure-activity relationship study of free FAs, bactericidal effect was identified mainly for polyunsaturated FAs, whereas QSI activity was restricted to SAFA of chains 12-18 carbon atoms in length. These data correlate with a possible interaction suggested by molecular docking analysis of lauric, myristic, and stearic acids with the CviR protein. Our study highlights the antiquorum sensing potential of SAFA, which may be future antivirulence therapeutic agents for the treatment of bacterial infections.

Antiquorum Sensing Activity of Seed Oils from Oleaginous Plants and Protective Effect During Challenge with Chromobacterium violaceum. - PubMed - NCBI

My amateur oversimplified speculation. SFAs turn off environmental ques and it could be extrapolated up to human body<>environment interactions level. It correlates with cortisol and ACTH lowering activities of SFA and PUFA amplification of stress responses. Mitochondria is believed to be an ancient bacteria after all.

Update.

Our study highlights the antiquorum sensing potential of SAFA, which may be future antivirulence therapeutic agents for the treatment of bacterial infections

SFA inhibits hostile behavior and swarming. No PUFA no hostility. I guess if we can even speculate on global scale of human behavior. If it's true we are coming to violence "apocalypse" with all this PUFA loaded veg oils.

Last edited:

Noodlz2

Interesting. If your interpretation is right, I wonder if there's ever any value in up-regulating your sensitivity. Maybe in a pristine environment, a heightened sensitivity to the environment can be useful. The worse the environment, the less reactive you want to be (because being too sensitive could be deadly), and the better it is, the more reactive you want to be (because being able to act on as many factors as possible, while not being overwhelmed, could allow you to intelligently approach better states).

OP
methylenewhite
I think it's even connected to my recent finding too. Oleic and linolenic acids are "smell of death" signals. You smell death in your environment it makes you more hostile, more alert, more stressed because there is a possible menace to your existence.
Smell Of Death Is Made Of Linolenic And Oleic Acids

OP
methylenewhite
Those promoting swarming behavior effects I would speculate could be extrapolated to overpopulation on this planet. Poorest parts of society are propagating them selfs on out of control velocity. These parts consume cheapest veg oils. And have 5-6-7 kids. Poverty creates stress, stress amplified by PUFA consumption creates swarming, swarming creates poverty.

All these studies showing that even mono- unsaturated aren't completely safe are making me want to hydrogente my beef tallow.

Back
Top Bottom