Fat Soluble Vitamin C

I wanted a thread about ascorbyl palmitate and related "fat soluble" forms of vitamin C.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0300483X88901333

In this study, mice given ascorbyl palmitate survived the assault of lethal amounts of Acetominophen (Paracetamol) that killed 35% of the mice. Normal ascorbic acid was not protective.

I have been taking this form of C recently, and also normal water soluble C. I think this fat soluble form will enter chylomicrons and the lymphatic system and cross the blood brain barrier and may be very protective over just using "normal" C.

full abstract here:
The effects of ascorbyl palmitate (ASCP) and free L-ascorbic acid (LAA) on the hepatotoxicity of paracetamol (acetaminophen) and the in vivo covalent binding of reactive paracetamol metabolites to hepatic proteins has been studied in male MF1 mice. The oral administration of [3H(G)]paracetamol (600 mg/kg) resulted in covalent binding to hepatic proteins, a depletion of hepatic non-protein sulphydryl (NPS) groups after 2 h, and a marked elevation of plasma alanine aminotransferase (ALAT) activity after 24 h. The coadministration of paracetamol and ASCP (1412 mg/kg), equivalent to 600 mg/ kg free LAA), but not paracetamol and LAA (600 mg/kg), significantly reduced covalent binding of paracetamol metabolites at 2 and 4 h after treatment. In addition ASCP, but not LAA, significantly reduced the depletion of NPS groups and the elevation of plasma ALAT activity. ASCP also completely prevented the 35% mortality observed at 24 h in paracetamol treated mice. These results demonstrate that ASCP, but not LAA, when coadministered orally with the analgesic is an effective inhibitor of paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in the mouse. The mechanism by which ASCP prevents liver injury appears to involve destruction of reactive paracetamol metabolites which is associated with a sparing action on hepatic reduced glutathione levels.

B

Braveheart

I wanted a thread about ascorbyl palmitate and related "fat soluble" forms of vitamin C.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0300483X88901333

In this study, mice given ascorbyl palmitate survived the assault of lethal amounts of Acetominophen (Paracetamol) that killed 35% of the mice. Normal ascorbic acid was not protective.

I have been taking this form of C recently, and also normal water soluble C. I think this fat soluble form will enter chylomicrons and the lymphatic system and cross the blood brain barrier and may be very protective over just using "normal" C.

full abstract here:
The effects of ascorbyl palmitate (ASCP) and free L-ascorbic acid (LAA) on the hepatotoxicity of paracetamol (acetaminophen) and the in vivo covalent binding of reactive paracetamol metabolites to hepatic proteins has been studied in male MF1 mice. The oral administration of [3H(G)]paracetamol (600 mg/kg) resulted in covalent binding to hepatic proteins, a depletion of hepatic non-protein sulphydryl (NPS) groups after 2 h, and a marked elevation of plasma alanine aminotransferase (ALAT) activity after 24 h. The coadministration of paracetamol and ASCP (1412 mg/kg), equivalent to 600 mg/ kg free LAA), but not paracetamol and LAA (600 mg/kg), significantly reduced covalent binding of paracetamol metabolites at 2 and 4 h after treatment. In addition ASCP, but not LAA, significantly reduced the depletion of NPS groups and the elevation of plasma ALAT activity. ASCP also completely prevented the 35% mortality observed at 24 h in paracetamol treated mice. These results demonstrate that ASCP, but not LAA, when coadministered orally with the analgesic is an effective inhibitor of paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in the mouse. The mechanism by which ASCP prevents liver injury appears to involve destruction of reactive paracetamol metabolites which is associated with a sparing action on hepatic reduced glutathione levels.
Thank you...glad you started this...have been interested in some of the reports on ascorbyl palmitate...pros and cons... I have some....time to get deeper into this.

Fllora

Anyone know whether RP has ever weighed in on this? Or Haidut, or you listening, and if so, any opinion? I noticed that Pure Encapsulations
Mg capsule has ascorbyl palmitate.

Fllora

Comparison of the effects of ascorbyl palmitate and L-ascorbic acid on paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in the mouse

full abstract here:
I am curious your current thoughts about ascorbyl p.
Anyone know whether RP has ever weighed in on this? Or Haidut, or you listening, and if so, any opinion? I noticed that Pure Encapsulations
Mg capsule has ascorbyl palmitate and was wondering about it.

Logan-

Logan-

Me: Is the liposomal method of delivery of nutrients good? I made my own liposomal C from a formula obtained from the web. I had to use high-phosphatidylcholine lecithin for it. When I took it, I couldn't sleep the whole night as I felt hungry and low in blood sugar. I suspect it was the PUFA that caused it. I stopped using liposomal after this experience. Is there a good basis for me staying away from liposomal formulations?

Ray: The liposomal formulations are entirely for marketing. Things like insulin can be dissolved in oil, and the digestive process incorporates the oil into chylomicrons, i.e., liposomes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals