************* Fat Loss

aquaman

this couldn't be ************* less relevant for the Ray Peat FOrum if it tried.

Such handy hints as:

- eat less
- skip breakfast
- eat more fiber
- eat bigger, less frequent meals
- if you're fat, it means you're insulin resistant so eat fewer carbs

HA!

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lollipop

Yeah, not the most peaty, but I actually really like this author's cut to the chase way of talking about weight loss in particular. I haven't read OP's article, but I thought this was an excellent one I stumbled upon last month: Yes. It’s Not as Simple as Calories in Calories out but Calories Still Count. Here’s Why.
Oh my @NathanK, LOVE that blog. Excellent! Thank you for sharing. Actually this is what @James IV has repeatedly explained on multiple threads.

Edit: towards the end when discussing fiber and whole grains - just gloss over and only read "Whole Foods" - lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

"you can't lose weight without accounting for calories." They will say with supreme confidence...that losing weight is about calories in and calories out, thermodynamics to the core. They will say it with a touch of superiority.

You should be able to not cut any calories, and lose weight by increasing how many calories you need. Exercise more and you'll do that... Or cut calories and lose weight that way

...or...just maybe...just maybe. Don't exercise more, don't eat more or less, and increase your need for calories...but how? Thyroid? Caffeine? Your body fights them all...just like it fights more exercise and less food. How to lose weight? Wrong question

how do you prevent your body from fighting your efforts? The answer to that would unlock the puzzle.

What to do what to do.

tankasnowgod

"you can't lose weight without accounting for calories." They will say with supreme confidence...that losing weight is about calories in and calories out, thermodynamics to the core. They will say it with a touch of superiority.

You should be able to not cut any calories, and lose weight by increasing how many calories you need. Exercise more and you'll do that... Or cut calories and lose weight that way

...or...just maybe...just maybe. Don't exercise more, don't eat more or less, and increase your need for calories...but how? Thyroid? Caffeine? Your body fights them all...just like it fights more exercise and less food. How to lose weight? Wrong question

how do you prevent your body from fighting your efforts? The answer to that would unlock the puzzle.

What to do what to do.

I agree with the last question, still, I have found that tracking your efforts is still fundamental. And we have the best tools for doing that ever. Using a fitness tracker and food log gives you a better starting point than some of the best metabolic ward experiments up until the 80's.

If you track, you'll probably have better success, although you'll still hit a stall. At that point, we could try some of the more peaty tricks (moar thyroid, caffiene, CO2, swapping out fat for sugar, PUFA free diet, Hydrogenated CO and MCTs, and who knows what other crazy stuff!), and you could have more variables controlled for.

NathanK

What to do what to do.
Gotta experiment and track like anything else.

Definitely read the link I posted because the author sums up where variables fit in pretty well. Too often people get caught up in the 2% health improvemental variables and miss out on the big picture. I think we've all fallen for the "halo effect" at some point or other too.
Oh my @NathanK, LOVE that blog. Excellent! Thank you for sharing. Actually this is what @James IV has repeatedly explained on multiple threads.

Edit: towards the end when discussing fiber and whole grains - just gloss over and only read "Whole Foods" - lol.
Yeah, he's a pretty good writer and this post was excellent coming from such a young guy (of course we always take what we want from what we read). He recaps nicely a lot of other top fitness "gurus" and gets to the point of things. Most of the time, it's not the content that separates the good, but the ability to simply communicate complex ideas.

superhuman

you still have to figure out your calories. Track what you eat and see how much calories it is that you can maintain weight on, eat a little less and you will loose weight and track it. It is that simple, there is no magic food that will suddenly make you eat way more calories then your maintenance and loose fat. Its easy. Peaty foods may increase your maintenance caloric needs because of its increase in metabolism but that does not mean you can how ever much you want and loose fat. You have to track it. It is that simple but people hate that its just that simple, because then they suddenly understand that hey have the full responsibility over the weight issue and not some magic food that is missing

chispas

There's a Ray Peat article, can't remember which one, where he literally says, a carrot, a quart of milk and an orange can provide all the nutrients to the body while aiding weight loss. Has anyone on this forum ever attempted this?

L

lollipop

I personally feel the truth in this subject involves a little of both perspectives. @NathanK's article clearly explains that for simple weight loss CICO has been shown to be effective. However for health, now you are in a different sphere and even sometimes weight loss is not the ideal, recovering health with even a slight weight gain is required.

To @Tarmander's point, I gained a fair bit of weight until I recovered my hormonal balance and sort of repaired my body from some restrictive dieting damage.

When that stabilized, needed about 2 years, my metabolism, liver kicked back in and I am eating the same and losing the extra without any hunger or even at this point serious tracking. I did track for these two years and learned a TON about tweaking and adjusting macros and calories. Highly recommended if only for the wisdom gained.

IMO, eating healthy balanced, PUFA reduced, Thyroid friendly real food is my long term health strategy. I also think this strategy helped me regain health balance. Once health is stabilized my thought is to spend the energy I used to dial in my health and put it into enjoying my life even a bit more :)

aquaman

I've lost about 10 pounds in 6 weeks from lowering fat and eating more fruit, less (no) juice. It's been pretty easy. Seems the juice part is important.

I posted about it in another thread.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals