Fat Loss Through Topical Thyroid Or Thyroid Injections?

LemonT

Hi everyone. This is my first post. Been lurking around here for a while and want to say thank you to the moderators and all the contributors that make this a great resource.

Heard the latest Generative Energy podcast and was surprised and excited when Kyle Mamounis mentioned that injecting thyroid directly to adipose tissue "Browned" the white fat and helped burn fat in the cell instead of liberating it.

This got me thinking about thyroid injections for fat loss. Found a few things but not much. Not even in body building or anabolic steroid forums.

Im thinking of buying some thyroid and rubbing it on the adipose tissue. If I had access to the T3 injections I would do that also.

Just wondering, has anyone ever considered doing this?

- LemonT

honeybee

Hi everyone. This is my first post. Been lurking around here for a while and want to say thank you to the moderators and all the contributors that make this a great resource.

Heard the latest Generative Energy podcast and was surprised and excited when Kyle Mamounis mentioned that injecting thyroid directly to adipose tissue "Browned" the white fat and helped burn fat in the cell instead of liberating it.

This got me thinking about thyroid injections for fat loss. Found a few things but not much. Not even in body building or anabolic steroid forums.

Im thinking of buying some thyroid and rubbing it on the adipose tissue. If I had access to the T3 injections I would do that also.

Just wondering, has anyone ever considered doing this?

- LemonT
Idealabs sells t3 dissolved in dmso soulution. DMSO is a carrier that allows the t3 to enter body transdermally. You could try that on your rat and see if he she loses weight.

superhuman

@haidut what is your take on this? rubbing your T3 solution on fatty areas on your skin? will it do what Kyle talked about and "Browning" the fat. I did not hear Kyle said that on the podcast, i thought he just said taking thyroid was doing that.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut what is your take on this? rubbing your T3 solution on fatty areas on your skin? will it do what Kyle talked about and "Browning" the fat. I did not hear Kyle said that on the podcast, i thought he just said taking thyroid was doing that.

Can't comment on effectiveness or human use. Turning white fat into brown fat is probably not a good idea. The brown fat appears under the influence of adrenaline. It is not coincidence that "cold thermogenesis" is used to create it - i.e. the cold raises adrenaline, especially in hypothyroid people with little glycogen. People with advanced cancers have almost no white fat and a lot of brown fat and it is the brown fat that is linked to cachexia. Lowering cortisol synthesis with something like emodin or aspirin and/or improving thyroid function (which would achieve the same) is the only proper way to lose fat. Fat is there for a reason and manipulating it somehow to turn into a self-eating machine is another "brilliant" invention of the supplement industry to sell you more crap.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140717124838.htm
Brown adipose tissue in cancer patients: possible cause of cancer-induced cachexia. - PubMed - NCBI
http://www.cell.com/trends/cancer/fulltext/S2405-8033(16)30084-X

Last edited:

paymanz

Mm good info,would like to know ray's opinion about these,he favorly talked about brown fat as I remember.

nullredvector

"The thermogenic effects of sodium can be seen in long-term studies, as well as short. A low-sodium diet accelerates the decrease in heat production that normally occurs with aging, lowering the metabolic rate of brown fat and body temperature, and increasing the fat content of the body, as well as the activity of the fat synthesizing enzyme (Xavier, et al., 2003).

Activation of heat production and increased body temperature might account for some of the GABA-like sedative effects of increased sodium. Increasing GABA in the brain increases brown fat heat production (Horton, et al., 1988). Activation of heat production by brown fat increases slow wave sleep (Dewasmes, et al., 2003), the loss of which is characteristic of aging. (In adult humans, the skeletal muscles have heat-producing functions similar to brown fat.)"

Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity

haidut

Forum Supporter
"The thermogenic effects of sodium can be seen in long-term studies, as well as short. A low-sodium diet accelerates the decrease in heat production that normally occurs with aging, lowering the metabolic rate of brown fat and body temperature, and increasing the fat content of the body, as well as the activity of the fat synthesizing enzyme (Xavier, et al., 2003).

Activation of heat production and increased body temperature might account for some of the GABA-like sedative effects of increased sodium. Increasing GABA in the brain increases brown fat heat production (Horton, et al., 1988). Activation of heat production by brown fat increases slow wave sleep (Dewasmes, et al., 2003), the loss of which is characteristic of aging. (In adult humans, the skeletal muscles have heat-producing functions similar to brown fat.)"

Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity

None of these quotes actually suggest that we should be increasing the amount of brown fat or ratio of brown fat to white fat. He simply said generation of heat by brown fat is beneficial. Converting white fat to brown fat is a completely different issue and usually that is what most health "gurus" suggesting cold thermogenesis try to do.

OP
L

LemonT

Thank you for all the thoughts and replies. Safe to say I'm going to stay away from deliberately browning my fat and just lose it the long slow way while raising my metabolism safely.

chispas

So, consuming sodium should aid thermogenesis for fat loss?

shepherdgirl

IIUC brown fat is formed under stress, and it possibly inhibits the thyroid, despite possible fat loss/increased temps/metabolism.
I don't think Ray necessarily looks kindly upon it:

from Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?
Even some hibernating rodents can stay alive with their body tissues close to the freezing point, and their stored fats have to be unsaturated. When their diet doesn't allow them to store enough polyunsaturated fat, they fail to go into hibernation. This is probably a clue to some of the general biological effects of the PUFA.

A series of studies about 20 years ago showed that the functions of the thyroid hormone are all inhibited by unsaturated fats, with the inhibition increasing in proportion to the number of unsaturations (double bonds) in the fat molecule.

When the tissues are saturated with those antithyroid fats, metabolism slows, especially when any stress, such as cold or hunger, increases the concentration of free fatty acids in the blood stream. Stress and hypothyroidism increase the formation of serotonin, which is an important factor in producing the torpor of hibernation, and lowering the body temperature. The polyunsaturated fatty acids themselves directly contribute to the formation of serotonin, for example by increasing the ability of tryptophan to enter the brain.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals