Fat Is An Organ

BingDing

I think this is right
The bmi lacks sophistication because it doesn’t distinguish between muscle mass, subconscious fat or visceral fat.

High muscle mass and decent subconscious fat seems protective

Though "subconscious fat" is one of the funniest things I've seen, I've been laughing for three days.

SQu

She quotes one reference which says it is possible that it could extend to 72 months, depending on how you want to define remission.
That's actually quite reassuring to those of us at about that timespan. Reading Gwyneth's posts on her old site was a great help to me. Any different slant on fat and eating disorders is going to help. For one, it's pointless to just have a war on fat that you are not going to win. For another, society has let us down terribly with the ideas we have about sufficient calories (as few as possible), and a healthy weight (the wasted look), and being realistic is surely the first step to getting somewhere. Seeing as the myths got us into this trouble in the first place.

recovery is a journey through psychological hell.
Absolutely true. I gained so much weight and struggled not just with that but with many symptoms that got worse before eventually they got better. It was frightening, and lonely, because who talks about this? How can you even encourage others to recover when you know what a tough journey it is? But I don't know what the answer is, because not recovering, even if takes 7 years, is worse. Doing it slower or partially - I'm not convinced that's going to work either. I suspect you go through the same things just in a more watered down, drawn out way, maybe ineffectively too. Is there a way to make this easier? And safer? Because I think you're so close to the edge that some people go over, into things like diabetes and more.

I think there's too much we don't yet know, but we will get to know sometime and then it will be much easier. If you think about even the info on this forum, lots of stuff is quite well understood by us now that wasn't years ago. Like, how much the body resists and there's a pushback when you try and boost your metabolism. And why (survival mode). That kind of thing was so confusing to begin with. Now, we get it. Now we know more about what low blood sugar feels like and what to do when we get certain symptoms after starting something that boosts. That makes it easier to know what to do, and that you're on the right track. I think we'll get there with this weight gain problem too, sometime. The more we work at understanding what's going on. Take the gall bladder for example. Now I know that it is a risk for dieting when obese, and I also know what to do to protect against problems (stearic acid) and I've been fine whereas statistically I was heading for trouble as long as I didn't know that.

I think of it like this: when things get out of balance, you go through a one way door into the whole metabolic problem and obesity, and you can't get back. Not for years anyway, for some of us, others are luckier. How else can you be trapped with the weight gain, the breathlessness, the liver issues, the inflammation, the exhaustion, if the body is not stuck and needing some help to start to break the cycle? After which it will still take ages to repair the damage because all during that time your body was in such trouble and as for absorbing much of the nutrition, other than in the excessive formation of fat, well - I don't think so. The signs are there. Deficiency symptoms in spite of sufficient nutrition - on paper at least. I take magnesium - I still get some twitching. I take the Bs - I still get angular cheilitis. I can't take as much t3 as my symptoms tell me I need, because I'll get arrhythmia. Ditto for B3. I get beau's lines on my fingernails, I used to get them continuously, now they mark my far less frequent bad patches, but even then, I find it shocking to have so little energy your nails can' t grow. With a highly nutritious diet! Can you imagine how your brain, heart, organs must be battling? And let's not even go there about the insomnia.

On August 4 last year 7 years after I started the healing journey (and put on so much weight) I had a random thought halfway through the day, that today was a good day to see if enough healing had finally taken place for dieting - super careful not overly-restrictive dieting - gall bladder support - everything I had learned - to work (after many failed attempts). And it did. In eight months I lost 17kg. Very easily and comfortably. I stopped as the light changed towards winter and I felt some stress signals, thinking to start again when it turned again in about August, the lowered stress of which I presumed had set me off on the great streak. I aimed to stay in the same weight range for the break.Well, not only did the maintenance get out of hand in those few short months off, but I am struggling to turn it around. First it was fine, then it crept, then it leapt, and now I am 5 kgs up, but was 6 at one point. It really feels like some kind of momentum builds, and turning it around is like working against that force. I've spent two months trying to turn the tide already. But starting to feel it respond.

Healing is not for sissies and I would never recommend it to anyone, except that the alternative is worse! But the good thing about it is, we are not alone, this is happening to a lot of us, and we can work it out, maybe, if we keep trying (especially if at least one of us is a haidut!).