Fat Intake & Painful Bowel Movements

Cirion

I have come to realize that eating a low dietary fat intake for a day or two results in painful bowel movements. I used to think it was because I was eating too much gelatin, or taking this or that supplement but I now know it is not the case.

My suspicion based upon a comment made in another thread is that when eating low fat and you have a high body fat content (I'm kinda fat now) that you're likely full of estrogen, and that a lot of it will flush out the body and this stuff is basically toxic so it makes sense it may hurt to remove it in large quantities (Who knows what other bacteria and parasites may be flushing out too?)

I notice it tends to increase my body temps too so that really tells me I'm depleting estrogen by going lower fat. So makes me think I should suffer through it? Probably means I should not go zero fat though as it's really bad then.. I get the pain even with low-moderate intakes (had 60-70g yesterday) and it goes away with high intakes (150-200g) but I'm not gonna be able to PUFA deplete at 150-200g dosages of dietary fat a day

RobertJM

What are you eating?

A close to zero fat fruitarian diet wouldn’t have those effects on bowel movements. You’d still be expelling mushy bowel movements.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I don't eat exclusively fruitarian. Fruit and beef/dairy with maple syrup and jello made with OJ and honey mostly nowadays, occasional coconut oil.

I did bring milk intake down a bit after concerns with CAFO vitamin fortified homogenized milk, but plan to increase milk intake again after I start intaking grass-fed un-homogenized milk that I skim myself. Just waiting for my skimmer to arrive in the mail.

Last edited:

Dino D

The time period is to short(1-2 days) to come to conclusions... give it one to two weaks and dont overthink and speculate to much at the start of a diet change...

OP
Cirion

Cirion

The time period is to short(1-2 days) to come to conclusions... give it one to two weaks and dont overthink and speculate to much at the start of a diet change...

It's the second time trying to transition to a lower fat diet. I didn't make the connection until this go around. I also take virtually no supplements anymore so it is easier to make connections to dietary changes.

Dino D

Ok, then maybe the fat makes the bowel soft (so it moves with no pain) or it just super lubricates it... but question two, what is it that you eat that could make the bowel hard, irittates it, so if you would change that food then it would not matter how much fat you eat...
Or (3) it is maybe how you say, the body pums out stuff(estrogen or whatever) that was stored and this hurts...
I dont know the answer, but maybe i still helped with my perspective...

OP
Cirion

Cirion

OK, so it seems like the culprit is Hydrogenated Coconut Oil. I cook beef in refined coconut oil, and that seems OK... but HCO apparently is a no-go. I had stopped intaking HCO when I upped total fats, so that's why increasing fats improved - but it wasn't because fats increased that I felt better per-se.

So, I think that's where I went wrong trying to go too low dietary fat- HCO is a major irritant for me apparently. I guess it makes sense -HCO is not a naturally occurring food after all.

I skipped on HCO yesterday and felt fine today.

OK, so it seems like the culprit is Hydrogenated Coconut Oil. I cook beef in refined coconut oil, and that seems OK... but HCO apparently is a no-go. I had stopped intaking HCO when I upped total fats, so that's why increasing fats improved - but it wasn't because fats increased that I felt better per-se.

So, I think that's where I went wrong trying to go too low dietary fat- HCO is a major irritant for me apparently. I guess it makes sense -HCO is not a naturally occurring food after all.

I skipped on HCO yesterday and felt fine today.
So it's an impurity added during the hydrogenation process? Travis said once that some heavy metals are used as catalysts for hydrogenation. Maybe they aren't thoroughly removed and some remains in the final product.