Fat Cells Never Die!

johnwester130

Depleting PUFA (content of fat cells) is not the same as killing fat cells.

I agree.

What I think I meant was, mainstream advice and science is meant to confuse you and make you feel helpless and fatalistic, and make you think that you will be poor, miserable, homeless, get diabetes, alzheimers, autism, and cancer.

Damn. Time to pack up and give up. No point in trying to lose weight or avoid PUFA anymore because some random YouTube video says "fat cells never die." Anyone adult who is currently skinny who claims to have been fat as a kid must be full of BS because it's too hard to accomplish in reality.
Fat people, accompanied by enhanced and continuous nutrition AND recumbency time (sleeping or resting) during their growth period, grow taller, and they elongate up; fat cells secrete growth factors (causing height gain), and height gain transforms, more likely than not, fat cells into a lean height mass.

What I mean is well-fed (nutritiously) fat children grow more, and thin up as they do (and they end up one of the tallest, or the tallest; based on my friend and on the youtuber 7feetvlogs).

Last edited:
I agree.

What I think I meant was, mainstream advice and science is meant to confuse you and make you feel helpless and fatalistic, and make you think that you will be poor, miserable, homeless, get diabetes, alzheimers, autism, and cancer.
I know right.

AretnaP

I agree.

It's been said that often times even fat cells emptied of their fat tend to store water in it's place.

I wonder if anti-edema things could help.

Interesting, that would be a good point to increase our intake of starch. Triglycerides seem to be synthesized in the liver from fructose.
Question to you Westside: do you think Buckwheat is a good starch to eat? As in pancakes from buckwheat flour or buckwheat porridge.

Yea.

Thanks for the picture, it's helpful to understand how this all really works.

With your explanation I would not guess that a person who was fat and got lean had their fat cells die though, I'd say that their fat cells released their stored triglycerides and simply shrunk. But according to you it does not really matter if a person has more fat cells because it is not any easier for them to get fat or lose fat then a person with less fat cells.

Yes that's what I said which is why I put the word cells in quotes because I was making fun of that phase they "never die."

Glassy

Fat cells do die and like most cells in the body they get replaced with shiny new fat cells. If you have no need for additional energy storage I’d like to think that some of these cells are not replaced but I’ve not seen (nor expect to see) any studies showing this. Most show the opposite, but I know that there are many factors influencing how cells are maintained and our knowledge of them is limited. Westside PUFA is right about fat cells shrinking and that the number of fat cells we have doesn’t stop our ability to lose fat. I would say fat loss is more about consistency than discipline but there are many paths to take.

I think the issue most people who have been overweight face is the amount of leptin these additional shrunken fat cells secrete and the metabolic adjustment their bodies have made while restricting calories (the biggest loser “experiment” is fascinating in this respect). You’re constantly hungry while it’s all you can do to stop your weight from rocketing back up. I like the way Peatarianism has a focus on firing up metabolism even if that means some weight gain initially. Ive only been peating about 3 months but my weight has largely stabilised on a much higher calorie intake (I gained about 13lbs coming off my last diet). I’m not sure how significantly PUFA slows your metabolism but a year of calorie restricting sure slowed mine down (even while accidentally lowering my PUFA intake).

Vinero

Fat cells do die and like most cells in the body they get replaced with shiny new fat cells. If you have no need for additional energy storage I’d like to think that some of these cells are not replaced but I’ve not seen (nor expect to see) any studies showing this. Most show the opposite, but I know that there are many factors influencing how cells are maintained and our knowledge of them is limited. Westside PUFA is right about fat cells shrinking and that the number of fat cells we have doesn’t stop our ability to lose fat. I would say fat loss is more about consistency than discipline but there are many paths to take.

I think the issue most people who have been overweight face is the amount of leptin these additional shrunken fat cells secrete and the metabolic adjustment their bodies have made while restricting calories (the biggest loser “experiment” is fascinating in this respect). You’re constantly hungry while it’s all you can do to stop your weight from rocketing back up. I like the way Peatarianism has a focus on firing up metabolism even if that means some weight gain initially. Ive only been peating about 3 months but my weight has largely stabilised on a much higher calorie intake (I gained about 13lbs coming off my last diet). I’m not sure how significantly PUFA slows your metabolism but a year of calorie restricting sure slowed mine down (even while accidentally lowering my PUFA intake).
Well said, improving our metabolic rate so that we can eat 3000+ calories a day without fat gain is what we should strive for.
Hypothyroid people may want to start with 2500 calories and watch their fat intake.
Eating large amounts of healthy food (low pufa, low iron) without adverse effects like weight gain is the holy grail of health.
I am much leaner now eating high calories than a few years ago when I was a low carber.
My metabolism is much higher now, thanks to following the principles of Ray Peat.

Hugh Johnson

Study Finds That Fat Cells Die and Are Replaced

All cells die and are replaced. Fat cells are not immortal and won't keep going as some fatty monster after the other cells die. The argument about fat cells not dying comes from scientists being unable to understand why people who have starved themselves regain the weight, so they made up some bs to protect their views from empirical facts.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

I was happy at first, but this study reads:

"Every year, whether you are fat or thin, whether you lose weight or gain, 10 percent of your fat cells die. And every year, those cells that die are replaced with new fat cells, researchers in Sweden reported Sunday.

The result is that the total number of fat cells in the body remains the same, year after year throughout adulthood. Losing or gaining weight affects only the amount of fat stored in the cells, not the number of cells."

So its really the same end result, that you are stuck with the amount of fat cells you have. So you cannot really effectively lose fat cells.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals