Fat Around My Middle

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

BP and Jennifer, your journeys through peating are inspiring and humbling.

I am eating about half a cup of sugar daily -- mix of table and honey. When possible, I will try to increase this. A lot of it in cups of tea through the day.

I am back to eating lentils once or twice a week, and occasionally beans. Soak them for 1.5 days first. I know not peatish, but my goal is to increase calories right now. I need to eat food that I enjoy. That said, I AM eating a lot of sugar also, and cook everything in CO. I drink some OJ every day. Also lots of gelatin. Shellfish.

I would like to understand better about restricting fat in order to "force the conversion" as BP says. If the body is given fat, then sugar is not burned? I can cut down on fat (mainly CO for me) and see what happens.

What about burning protein? If the body gets only sugar and protein, will it burn protein?

Jennifer, I'm following my appetite, trying to increase it when I can. I can't even wrap my head around 10k calories -- it sounds equivalent to eating a whole cow! You must have been eating very calorie dense food.

Thanks for the good wishes. I wish both of you healthy guts!!!

SQu

An entire watermelon! Wow.
About how you know you're burning sugar better,which is the burning question for me too - I've had improvements and I think more protein has been key. How I know it's improved is fewer signs of low blood sugar such as migraine, and headache following pregnenolone or niacinamide. Better sleep is a big one. And yes, some weight loss, which seems to be (in my case) only possible when energy levels are steady and good. This is also the only time I can lower fat too, and this of course helps again with weight loss.

Jennifer

LOL Yep! A whole watermelon. Lots of eating and peeing on that diet. :roll:

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

BP, you mentioned eating fructose. Did you eat a one-to-one ratio with table sugar? That must've been very expensive! I can only get a small bottle of high-quality fructose for an ungodly price around here.

Vision thanks for the information on uncoupling. The article went above my head, but I understand that CO2 needs to be high. I can try to take bag breathing more seriously.

I bought the the Tree of Life brand 100% pure fructose powder. It comes in 2 pound bags and I bought a bunch of bags online at Vitacost. They claim it is GMO free and lower glycemic than table sugar, costs $3.59 for a two pound bag and the minimum order is three bags. Can you order from Vitacost where you live? They ship for free if you spend $49.

http://www.vitacost.com/tree-of-life-na ... se-32-oz-1

At first I used only the pure fructose, but I don't love the taste so then I cut it 50/50 with the organic sugar that Costco carries. I did the pure fructose for probably a month or 6 weeks and then began cutting it until I had used up all the bags I had. Now I just use organic table sugar.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks BP!

I've ordered from vita cost many times so this would be easy.

So the tree of life fructose has a taste?

The superexpensive fructose that God did not have a taste but it's unaffordable.

No, not really a "taste" per se, I simply prefer the richer taste of unwashed organic cane sugar. The fructose tasted too pure, almost chemical-like, if that makes any sense. Then again I love the rich taste of molasses, which is why I prefer unwashed sugar....I dunno, it's just me. I do definitely think eating the pure fructose for several weeks aided my ability to use glucose, don't ask me how tho. There are smarter folks than me who can explain that process.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Did you use the pure fructose during the time when you were having Gut issues?

In other words did you start burning sugar before or after you got issues?

Thanks

My gut issues (the diarrhea) became quite noticeable to me in January, bloating had started MUCH earlier tho, the bloating began immediately upon adding carbs back to my diet which was late October of last year. So I was bloated immediately and gaining weight all through NOV/DEC/JAN. Then I recall being nervous about eating anything at a Superbowl party which was Feb.2nd as I didn't want to have a "blow-out" (sorry, TMI) at someone else's house. I suffered through various food elimination trying to find the cause until March, which is when I added the pure fructose. I continued to have progressively worsening diarrhea despite gaining weight this entire time (December all the way through March). Once I added the fructose I stopped gaining weight almost immediately, but this is when I also cut all fat from my diet. I added pure fructose and cut all fat at the same time. However, the diarrhea continued until I took the raw garlic in June and then that finally stopped. Gosh, I hope I am making sense here...LOL.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Yes BP, this is really helpful.

You had gut plus weight gain going on until fructose. After fructose and no fat, no more weight gain but gut continued till garlic later.

I'm gonna try pure fructose for a bit and see. Don't know if I can eliminate fat altogether, but can reduce it to very little.

Yep, I kept my fat intake to 20 gms. per day, sometimes even less depending on what I ate on a particular day. I boosted the fructose and fruit intake (mangoes in particular and OJ) at the same time. But you aren't suffering from chronic diarrhea as far as your gut goes, correct?

Dutchie

thebigpeatowski said:
Yep, I kept my fat intake to 20 gms. per day, sometimes even less depending on what I ate on a particular day. I boosted the fructose and fruit intake (mangoes in particular and OJ) at the same time. But you aren't suffering from chronic diarrhea as far as your gut goes, correct?

BP,do you live in a yearround sunny area? Or do you have ligth set-ups at home?
Bc we had quite sunny days until late in Fall over here and everything seemed to be working really well for me. But the last 2 weeks the weather has changed to cold&wet weather,grey skies etc. And it seems like my body isn't burning my food (especially it seems carbs) anymore,I don't feel so warm (nice warm hands) anymore etc. Slower/less bowelmovements...which ultimately lead to more estrogendominant symptoms.
I'm starting to fear that I need to get back to VLC Paleo.:/

Hi Dutchie, NO I live in the Pacific Northwest where it is grey and rainy and drizzles all the time. I try to go sunny places often, but right now I'm sitting in front of 250 watts of red light. I had to get my light out last week too, the days are getting too short. In some ways I am dreading winter and in other ways I am eager to put all of Peat's ideas to the test and see if I can make it through the winter without crashing like I usually do.

Do you take thyroid meds Dutchie?

Dutchie

thebigpeatowski said:
Hi Dutchie, NO I live in the Pacific Northwest where it is grey and rainy and drizzles all the time. I try to go sunny places often, but right now I'm sitting in front of 250 watts of red light. I had to get my light out last week too, the days are getting too short. In some ways I am dreading winter and in other ways I am eager to put all of Peat's ideas to the test and see if I can make it through the winter without crashing like I usually do.

Do you take thyroid meds Dutchie?

Hmm,that's what I suspected that the sunny ligth is a keyfactor in my metabolism...the one thing I can't control.*sigh*
I've tried looking into all the ligth topics,but I always end up confused and clueless about what lamp would be good.All the talk about ligthrays,spectrums etc.you immediately lose me when techy stuff like that is being discussed. Incandescents aren't allowed to be sold here,bc they're not energy-friendly. It would be great if there would be a shopping list with all brands&types listed that are ok,so you could print it and take it with you when you go shopping.

No,I don't take thyroid meds or any meds.You can't just buy them over here. And besides that,I can't order off the internet....and basically buy anything.:/ I already struggle every month to be able to do groceries,let alone good quality organic food. I kind of have to pick my battles when it comes to that.

tara

Dutchie said:
I've tried looking into all the ligth topics,but I always end up confused and clueless about what lamp would be good.All the talk about ligthrays,spectrums etc.you immediately lose me when techy stuff like that is being discussed. Incandescents aren't allowed to be sold here,bc they're not energy-friendly.
I got a strong portable halogen flood light on a stand before last winter. I think the spectrum may not be as good as incandescents, but still better than nothing in gloomy weather. Every now and then I'd sit with it shining on the back of my bare shoulders while I sat at computer. I had it close enough to be comfortably pleasantly warm. It felt good to me.

You might also consider making the chicken neck soup, that's a great way to get gelatin and a bit of thyroid in...my personal experience is that low-carb diets aren't good for metabolism, I'd hate to see you go that route Dutchie.

loess

Dutchie, I don't know if this will help but it is surprising how much money you can save on food by narrowing and simplifying foods based on seasonal availability and doing some legwork to cut out the middle man (grocery store). It takes some effort at first to find different sources and to get set set up with the wholesalers and such, but here are some ideas that helped me save money on food:

- buying 60 lb buckets of honey directly from the producer instead of a lot of individual small containers from the store
- buying cases of oranges in bulk from local wholesale produce distributor (non-organic). You could do this with potatoes as well if you tolerate them.
- Whole Foods gives a small discount for buying milk by the case (4 gallons in a case). I usually buy two cases and typically go through about 6 gallons per week of milk. Some of it to goes into making farmers cheese, some in my coffee and some to just drink plain with meals. Making my own farmers cheese ends up being significantly cheaper than buying pre-made cottage cheese or parmigiano reggiano, etc.
- right now in the US it is apple harvest, I have been picking tons of free apples and juicing them, then removing the pectin with a product called Pectinex. It works terrifically, I have been meaning to make a thread about it and will soon.

About the light, that's a real drag that you can't get the incandescents. Wish there was a solution but all I can think of is that you would have to order everything from Amazon US and have it shipped over.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Saw the G.I. today. He told me to stop all my vitamins and supplements for two weeks. And to take a probiotic callEd Align and lactase enzymes. Then to follow up in a month.

When he pressed my abdomen, I nearly yelled when he pressed the lower part of the abdomen.

He recommended to get my ovaries checked out and to get a colonoscopy done.

I'm wondering about the probiotic. I know there are divided opinions about it on the form. I'm wondering if it can make my gut any worse to try it for a couple of weeks. I just went off the Minocycline 50 mg per day. It has definitely made a difference though my stomach is still sticking out. Perhaps a little less.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

There were some infrared light bulb recommendations in a thread on infrared light. They looked like floodlights. Does anyone know of a lamp that would hold a floodlight?

My daughter has a SAD lamp. Is that Peat approved?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
sunmountain said:
My daughter has a SAD lamp. Is that Peat approved?

Probably not. The ones I have seen use harmful UV spectrum of light.