Fasting Inhibits Proper Thyroid Function

OP
D

Dhair

i know, it sounds crazy, but he cured himself of cancer.
I think it's important to remember that we are talking about someone who is posting anonymously on the internet here. Of course, God forbid we ask him for some kind of verifiable evidence. I just think we shouldn't put the cart before the horse when talking about someone we don't know.

noordinary

Yes, lifespan. Even if you only took 7 times as the multiplier, it is still a very long fast compared to normal fasts for humans. 1-3 days commonly.

Also, as i said earlier, don't take rat studies too seriously, only about 20% of them show similar results in humans: Why animal studies are often poor predictors of human reactions to exposure

"Very well" means that while you are in ketosis your lean muscle mass will increase and fat decrease in proportion to body weight. This is healthy by all standards so humans thrive to be occasionally in catabolic state in contrast to constantly being anabolic.
Got it: you are a believer.
I've been there 3 years ago: does not end well. But everyone has to have their own experience and come to their own conclusions.

noordinary

i knew someone who did many long fasts & was very pro fasting & a few yrs later i ran into her & she completely changed her point of view on fasting & said she thinks they are health damaging long term.
@papaya do we know each other? jk but this woman does sound like me lol
Been there done that, also completely changed my point of view on fasting, also consider it to be damaging short and long term now.

noordinary

"Very well" means that while you are in ketosis your lean muscle mass will increase and fat decrease in proportion to body weight. This is healthy by all standards so humans thrive to be occasionally in catabolic state in contrast to constantly being anabolic.
Seriously @rei if you believe that, would you also think fasting is beneficial for a child or a pregnant woman?!
Damn, believers are illogical...

rei

Don't be silly, a growing child and pregnant woman need to be very insulin/TOR-driven and grow in all aspects. Not just lean body mass as adults preferably do. If they don't limit themselves to such growth then the end result is obesity or "caveman" look that is acheived by taking HGH past puberty.

Syncopated

There needs to be clarification as to what constitutes a prolonged fast. My definition of a prolonged fast is any water fast past 7 days.
My fasting experiences began in 1998 after reading Bragg. I have conducted numerous 1 day and 3 day fasts since then, a couple 7 day fasts, one 10 day fast, one 21 day fast, one 24 day fast and one 29 day fast. All my fasting has been consuming water during these fasts except for the 10 day fast where I consumed the Bragg apple cider and honey drinks.

Syncopated

I have also conducted two 3 day dry fasts where I ate and drank nothing for 3 days. I would call this an Esther 4:16 fast.

Syncopated

No glucose is being eaten during a fast and glucose is required to convert T4 to T3, therefore taking Tyronene provides the missing T3.

During fasting, free fatty acids are liberated from the tissues which can suppress thyroid function if they are unsaturated. T3 restores respiration, warmth and calmness.

GreekDemiGod

The more I played with Intermittent Fasting, the more my health took a hit.
Keto / Carnivore / fasting pretty much share the same mechanisms

Cirion

I'm currently experimenting with fasting because nothing else seems to rid myself of body fat while eating ample carbohydrates is the important distinguishment - it's not a total fast. I have found I can lose a little weight if I just restrict overall calories significantly, but this also requires restriction of carbohydrates, and if I choose between restricting protein/fats and carbs, I choose protein/fats because they don't stimulate the thyroid/CO2 levels like carbs do. So, playing with intermittent protein/fat/also starch fasts (basically, solid food). Anywhere from 12-16 hr a day. Seems to be the only way to finally get my stubborn body to slowly shed weight, in a reasonably healthy manner (I still eat tons of carbs/sugars to keep thyroid going). I don't fast more than 12-16 hrs from protein/fats, and I don't fast for more than 4-8 hrs from carbs so I don't think I'm harming myself. Solid foods are very difficult to digest (proteins, meat, starch, fats) in hypothyroid condition. I think even a healthy person it takes 7 hrs to digest meat, so probably double that (14 hrs) in hypothyroid. Hence the 12-16 hr fasts. Basically I take the tenants of fasting that I think they got right, but do not deprive myself of carbohydrates as these must be constantly refueled or you will dramatically overstress your body from FFA's/cysteine/tryptophan.

teds

Forum Supporter
I'm currently experimenting with fasting because nothing else seems to rid myself of body fat while eating ample carbohydrates is the important distinguishment - it's not a total fast. I have found I can lose a little weight if I just restrict overall calories significantly, but this also requires restriction of carbohydrates, and if I choose between restricting protein/fats and carbs, I choose protein/fats because they don't stimulate the thyroid/CO2 levels like carbs do. So, playing with intermittent protein/fat/also starch fasts (basically, solid food). Anywhere from 12-16 hr a day. Seems to be the only way to finally get my stubborn body to slowly shed weight, in a reasonably healthy manner (I still eat tons of carbs/sugars to keep thyroid going). I don't fast more than 12-16 hrs from protein/fats, and I don't fast for more than 4-8 hrs from carbs so I don't think I'm harming myself. Solid foods are very difficult to digest (proteins, meat, starch, fats) in hypothyroid condition. I think even a healthy person it takes 7 hrs to digest meat, so probably double that (14 hrs) in hypothyroid. Hence the 12-16 hr fasts. Basically I take the tenants of fasting that I think they got right, but do not deprive myself of carbohydrates as these must be constantly refueled or you will dramatically overstress your body from FFA's/cysteine/tryptophan.
So just to be clear, you’re eating carbohydrates throughout the waking day but you’re restricting fats and protein to an 8hour window. I wouldn’t personally call that fasting as you’re body is getting fuel- great if it’s working for you.

Cirion

Well, it's a protein/fat fast. But yeah, not what most people think of when they think of fasting. I see zero value in actual fasting from all calories/carbs personally due to the FFA/cysteine/tryptophan/etc. problems.

Btw for a second thought your profile said you were from Melbourne FL lol. I was trying to apply to jobs in Melbourne FL, just did apply for a job in Orlando FL and had an interview waiting to hear back, which is close to Melbourne FL, but definitely not close to Melbourne Australia haha.

ddjd

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I thought it was interesting in light of our recent discussions about fasting.
Fasting-induced changes in the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis. - PubMed - NCBI
. "The observed decrease in serum thyroid hormone concentrations results to some extent from diminished thyroidal secretion of thyroid hormones, especially in rodents. Decreased thyroxine (T4) and T3 contribute to the downregulation of T3-responsive genes such as liver D1. The overall result of these complex HPT axis changes in various tissues during fasting is downregulation of the HPT axis, which is assumed to represent an energy-saving mechanism, instrumental in times of food shortage."

View: https://twitter.com/drkohilathas/status/1652288207990530050?t=AqPrEIOpGRyVUeFZHum2Ww&s=19

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals