Fasting (even overnight) dangerous for the damaged heart

S-VV

Objective
A variety of calorie restriction diets and fasting regimens are popular among overweight people. However, starvation could result in unexpected cardiovascular effects. Therefore, it is necessary to evaluate the short-term effects of diets on cardiovascular function, energy metabolism and potential risk of heart damage in case of myocardial infarction. The objective of the present study was to investigate whether the increased level of glucose oxidation or reduction of fatty acid (FA) load in the fed state provides the basis for protection against myocardial infarction in an experimental rat model of ischemia–reperfusion.

Materials/Methods
We tested the effects of the availability of energy substrates and their metabolites on the heart functionality and energy metabolism under normoxic and ischemia–reperfusion conditions.

Results
In a fasted state, the heart draws energy exclusively from FAs, whereas in a fed state, higher concentration of circulating insulin ensures a partial switch to glucose oxidation, while the load of FA on heart and mitochondria is reduced. Herein, we demonstrate that ischemic damage in hearts isolated from Wistar rats and diabetic Goto–Kakizaki rats is significantly lower in the fed state compared to the fasted state.

Conclusions
Present findings indicate that postprandial or fed-state physiology, which is characterised by insulin-activated glucose and lactate utilisation, is protective against myocardial infarction. Energy metabolism pattern in the heart is determined by insulin signalling and the availability of FAs. Overall, our study suggests that even overnight fasting could provoke and aggravate cardiovascular events and high-risk cardiovascular patients should avoid prolonged fasting periods.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Interesting study - another strike for fatty acid oxidation and another possible indication for using aspirin / niacinamide before bed.

Birdie

The stress of overnight fasting is added to the stress of darkness.

Jon2547

This is why I don't frequent this board as much as I used to. So many knee-jerk dogmatic conclusions. Fasting in all its forms is an almost miraculous process. The evidence is so strong for fasting that the proponents do not need to rebut anything. Instead, the opponents have the strongest burden of proof upon them TO CLEARLY (keyword here, pay attention) demonstrate that fasting is actually harmful.
Jesus the Christ fasted for 40 days. Moses dry-fasted for 40 days, not once but twice. The jews that survived the concentration camps were shown to have much lower incidences of cancers later on in life.
Those who are opposed to fasting, here on this echo chamber of a bulletin board you are pretty much safe. But try peddling that nonsense to a crowd outside of here!

Ben.

This is why I don't frequent this board as much as I used to. So many knee-jerk dogmatic conclusions.

Im afraid you find this in any forum, no matter which health "ideology" is followed.

Those who are opposed to fasting, here on this echo chamber of a bulletin board you are pretty much safe. But try peddling that nonsense to a crowd outside of here!

For some fasting works, for others it doesn't. I'd refrain of refering to something as "nonsense" that is clearly not black and white.

P

Peatness

I understood this study to be addressing those with ‘damaged hearts’ rather than healthy people who are able to go for long periods of time without nourishment. People with damaged hearts are likely to be hypothyroid; surely fasting is likely to exacerbate such a condition?

Tarmander

This is why I don't frequent this board as much as I used to. So many knee-jerk dogmatic conclusions. Fasting in all its forms is an almost miraculous process. The evidence is so strong for fasting that the proponents do not need to rebut anything. Instead, the opponents have the strongest burden of proof upon them TO CLEARLY (keyword here, pay attention) demonstrate that fasting is actually harmful.
Jesus the Christ fasted for 40 days. Moses dry-fasted for 40 days, not once but twice. The jews that survived the concentration camps were shown to have much lower incidences of cancers later on in life.
Yeah, there are a lot of low IQ reply guys on this forum. Use the ignore button, it will make life easier.

But this was a post about a study, not a full on condemnation of fasting. And fasting is so powerful by very definition it can be misused or used in the wrong case...like overweight people with heart issues.

Pistachio

Sounds like a BS study. Fasting has been around since the beginning of time.

And where is the source for this study?