Fast food french fries and starch persorption. French fries are cooked in oil, not water.

I don't think so. The fresh leaves will turn translucent and crispy and have a subtle flavor. I don't think the dried leaves will do. Better if you know an Indian housewife who knows how to make her own curry mix. She would have some idea.
I love fresh sage leaves fried crispy like you curry leaves. Well thanks for the mouth watering conversation, as usual :)

yerrag

I love fresh sage leaves fried crispy like you curry leaves. Well thanks for the mouth watering conversation, as usual :)
I didn't know that. I like sage especially with lamb.

I didn't know that. I like sage especially with lamb.

Fried sage leaves are so good on cream based pastas and soups or on butternut squash. I first had it on a Wolfgang Puck pizza and then again at a upscale restaurant where the fried sage leaves were out of this world on a homemade butternut squash stuffed ravioli with a shiitake cream sauce. I have duplicated that dish several times for dinner parties. Here is a pic where I put them on homemade gnocchi last year.

Attachments

• 20210131_183259.jpg
    20210131_183259.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 11

yerrag

Fried sage leaves are so good on cream based pastas and soups or on butternut squash. I first had it on a Wolfgang Puck pizza and then again at a upscale restaurant where the fried sage leaves were out of this world on a homemade butternut squash stuffed ravioli with a shiitake cream sauce. I have duplicated that dish several times for dinner parties. Here is a pic where I put them on homemade gnocchi last year.
Awesome!

I wonder if you've made tortellini as well.

frannybananny

Yeah, but they are so much quicker than you think, just about the same as making mashed potatoes. They are so crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, so clean and far above any greasy fries you will normally get at a restauraunt.
Have you ever thought of making oven fries? Raw potato sliced into sticks or wedges, toss in a plastic bag with a little olive oil or avocado oil or coconut oil, add a pinch of salt/spices and shake to coat fries. Place in preheated oven 425 degrees for 30-40 min. For more crispy fries add pinch of cornstarch to bag while shaking. This is how I make sweet potato fries also. Def need the cornstarch on these. Okay, what are the bad elements in my recipe. I don't have a deep fat fryer....

Have you ever thought of making oven fries? Raw potato sliced into sticks or wedges, toss in a plastic bag with a little olive oil or avocado oil or coconut oil, add a pinch of salt/spices and shake to coat fries. Place in preheated oven 425 degrees for 30-40 min. For more crispy fries add pinch of cornstarch to bag while shaking. This is how I make sweet potato fries also. Def need the cornstarch on these. Okay, what are the bad elements in my recipe. I don't have a deep fat fryer....
Mine are too perfect to change anything! I have made these other delicious oven fries though with your olive oil and fresh rosemary. The kicker is to add some chicken stock on the third turn of the baking. It soakss in and makes a fluffy moist inside and super crispy outside. Here is a pic of mine and the recipe.

Attachments

• 20201126_205344.jpg
    20201126_205344.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 14
Mine are too perfect to change anything! I have made these other delicious oven fries though with your olive oil and fresh rosemary. The kicker is to add some chicken stock on the third turn of the baking. It soakss in and makes a fluffy moist inside and super crispy outside. Here is a pic of mine and the recipe.

I just made that recipe. I used ghee (because I have a ton) and russets (because they were sprouting and needed to be eaten). Dang. Frickin' delicious! Gracias, chica!

I just made that recipe. I used ghee (because I have a ton) and russets (because they were sprouting and needed to be eaten). Dang. Frickin' delicious! Gracias, chica!
Yayyyy! I am so excited for someone else to try these, and they are so easy! I made them for Thanksgiving with homemade beef Wellington. Thanks for letting me know :)

frannybananny

Hmmm, well I will try this receipe but I like my "no turn no fuss" potato wedges that are indeed fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside like french fries....no doubt because they are lightly coated in oil. I, too, sprinkle rosemary and thyme to the inside of the bag while tossing. This oven recipe is especially helpful with Sweet Potato Fries (one of the few veggies that Ray recommends) but you have to add that pinch of cornstarch while shaking the bag or they will be too mushy.

BTW how do they get the "taste" out of the liquid coconut oil? I have never heard that before....it doesn't degrade or denature it in any way?

Hmmm, well I will try this receipe but I like my "no turn no fuss" potato wedges that are indeed fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside like french fries....no doubt because they are lightly coated in oil. I, too, sprinkle rosemary and thyme to the inside of the bag while tossing. This oven recipe is especially helpful with Sweet Potato Fries (one of the few veggies that Ray recommends) but you have to add that pinch of cornstarch while shaking the bag or they will be too mushy.

BTW how do they get the "taste" out of the liquid coconut oil? I have never heard that before....it doesn't degrade or denature it in any way?
Ray Peat says sweet potatoes are anti-thyroid so I gave up my white ones, and the orange ones he says are high in beta carotene. Yeah I hate the taste of coconut oil and the refined thankfully tastes neutral. Ray Peat recommends the refined saying that the unrefined can have bits of the meat and other impurities. I like cornstarch on oven baked onion rings. Here are some pics of them! I think I will give your cornstarch fries a try. I can do a onion ring and french fry combo

Attachments

• 20201025_112131.jpg
    20201025_112131.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210503_215129.jpg
    20210503_215129.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201018_190137.jpg
    20201018_190137.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 13

frannybananny

Ray Peat says sweet potatoes are anti-thyroid so I gave up my white ones, and the orange ones he says are high in beta carotene. Yeah I hate the taste of coconut oil and the refined thankfully tastes neutral. Ray Peat recommends the refined saying that the unrefined can have bits of the meat and other impurities. I like cornstarch on oven baked onion rings. Here are some pics of them! I think I will give your cornstarch fries a try. I can do a onion ring and french fry combo
Thanks for the info on sweet potatoes but don't we all need beta carotene from some foods we eat but not excessive? BTW I cut my white russet french fries into wedges or long slices and don't usually add cornstarch.

Veritas IV

Thanks for the info on sweet potatoes but don't we all need beta carotene from some foods we eat but not excessive? BTW I cut my white russet french fries into wedges or long slices and don't usually add cornstarch.

I was just going to post that Russet potatoes have double the protein of most other varieties. And of course Ray Peat said potatoes have high quality protein. I just checked, Yukon Gold has a respectable amount too, I happen to like those a lot.

And on this last search i see that other types may have their strengths for certain people, red potatoes supposedly have less carbs and fiber. And many of those baby potatoes have more sugar and less starch.

Seems like there's a bit of variance between all of the varieties. Worth researching imho if someone is looking for that perfect potato for themselves.

Oh ok gotcha! I will take a pic when I get some onions for my combo :)