Fast food french fries and starch persorption. French fries are cooked in oil, not water.

Matt1951

Potatoes have the largest starch particles. Cooking in water softens and "unwinds" the starch helix form, preventing persorption of these large, hard particles from entering the blood stream. Cooking in oil does not prevent persorption. Therefore, french fries should never be eaten? not to mention PUFA and a slew of added chemicals.

Potatoes have the largest starch particles. Cooking in water softens and "unwinds" the starch helix form, preventing persorption of these large, hard particles from entering the blood stream. Cooking in oil does not prevent persorption. Therefore, french fries should never be eaten? not to mention PUFA and a slew of added chemicals.

Knowing what I know now about the pesticides and PUFA oils in french fries, I don't order them out anymore. I can't ignorantly enjoy them anymore so I just make better ones at home. I do as you mentioned and boil them first for 15 to 20 minutes, depending their thickness, and then let them dry out for about 20 minutes before frying in refined coconut oil. Nom Nom!

Attachments

• 20210715_190256.jpg
    20210715_190256.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200907_210634.jpg
    20200907_210634.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 50

Rasaari

Knowing what I know now about the pesticides and PUFA oils in french fries, I don't order them out anymore. I can't ignorantly enjoy them anymore so I just make better ones at home. I do as you mentioned and boil them first for 15 to 20 minutes, depending their thickness, and then let them dry out for about 20 minutes before frying in refined coconut oil. Nom Nom!
Is that aioli from coconut oil or what?

Is that aioli from coconut oil or what?
I whisked an egg yolk with liquid coconut oil and a little olive oil, garlic, white vinegar and salt. A little mustard would have been good in it too, instead of the vinegar. Boy was my wrist ever sore making it though. I have yet to master aioli.

Attachments

• 20220102_164154.jpg
    20220102_164154.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

supercoolguy

An Episode of Diners Drive-ins & Dives showed a restaurant, soak the par-boiled french fries in saltwater to draw the moisture and make them crispier when they come out of the fryer.
Think that would reduce cook time and the amount of fat absorption.
Just a theory though. Try at your own potato's risk.

Rasaari

I whisked an egg yolk with liquid coconut oil and a little olive oil, garlic, white vinegar and salt. A little mustard would have been good in it too, instead of the vinegar. Boy was my wrist ever sore making it though. I have yet to master aioli.
Ahh I have not seen liquid coconut oil and apparently can't get it in my country. Does it taste coconutty or is it neutral like refined? I kinda don't like coconut taste. I see that there are also commercial "keto mayos" made from coconut and few ingredients in america. Does your aioli solidify in the fridge? Making from refined co would make it so hard you'd had to warm it up for quite a while. Anyways compound butter goes a long way.

Ahh I have not seen liquid coconut oil and apparently can't get it in my country. Does it taste coconutty or is it neutral like refined? I kinda don't like coconut taste. I see that there are also commercial "keto mayos" made from coconut and few ingredients in america. Does your aioli solidify in the fridge? Making from refined co would make it so hard you'd had to warm it up for quite a while. Anyways compound butter goes a long way.
The liquid coconut oil is neutral. I don't like the taste of unrefined coconut oil either. The few times I made aioli they did not firm up in the fridge. I know I could make a good one if I added the egg white too, but egg whites are too high in histamines so I don't add them. I have tried all of the coconut oil mayo's available to me amd they all taste awful! I made a mik mayo using cream cheese and it turned out pretty tasty. I hadn't quite perfected it, but I will have to make it again and post it.

yerrag

That's what I was thinking. I once wanted to make my own fries from scratch, then when I saw there's more to it than just slicing and frying, I backed off. You still have to boil them in water.

That's what I was thinking. I once wanted to make my own fries from scratch, then when I saw there's more to it than just slicing and frying, I backed off. You still have to boil them in water.
Yeah, but they are so much quicker than you think, just about the same as making mashed potatoes. They are so crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, so clean and far above any greasy fries you will normally get at a restauraunt.

yerrag

Yeah, but they are so much quicker than you think, just about the same as making mashed potatoes. They are so crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, so clean and far above any greasy fries you will normally get at a restauraunt.
I got the frozen fries. I deep fry them in Hydrogeared Coconut Oil. They are great. I just don't know how bad the frozen dries are.

restaurant. Is a
I got the frozen fries. I deep fry them in Hydrogeared Coconut Oil. They are great. I just don't know how bad the frozen dries are.
It is hard to find them organic AND not already partially fried in bad oils. I figure frying them in coconut oil will take care of the PUFA's so I go for the organic first.

yerrag

restaurant. Is a
It is hard to find them organic AND not already partially fried in bad oils. I figure frying them in coconut oil will take care of the PUFA's so I go for the organic first.
I guess I allow myself that convenience only because I don't eat them often. The only time I make them is when I make salted egg french fries. It's a Singaporean thing where more flavor is added with clarified butter, fresh curry leaves, and salted egg.

I guess I allow myself that convenience only because I don't eat them often. The only time I make them is when I make salted egg french fries. It's a Singaporean thing where more flavor is added with clarified butter, fresh curry leaves, and salted egg.
I just looked up a salted egg. Your combo sounds yummy!

"A salted duck egg is an Asian preserved food product made by soaking duck eggs in brine, or packing each egg in damp, salted charcoal. In Asian supermarkets, these eggs are sometimes sold covered in a thick layer of salted charcoal paste."

yerrag

You deep fry the potatoes. Separately, stir fry fresh curry leaves in ghee to near crispy. Mix in the frys. Add the salted egg yolks. And salt and pepper and paprika to your liking.

bag of frozen pota toes frys
ounce of ghee
cup of curry leaves
4 salted eggs

You deep fry the potatoes. Separately, stir fry fresh curry leaves in ghee to near crispy. Mix in the frys. Add the salted egg yolks. And salt and pepper and paprika to your liking.

bag of frozen pota toes frys
ounce of ghee
cup of curry leaves
4 salted eggs
So the yolks are crumbled on the fries and are the fries fried in the clarified butter?

yerrag

So the yolks are crumbled on the fries and are the fries fried in the clarified butter?
Yes

Salted eggs aren't made as salty these days due to the longstanding 'salt is bad' hoax. So you add more salt to taste.

yerrag

I don't have access to curry leaves either so maybe curry powder will do?
Not sure what a good substitute is. As the typical curry powder is a mix of three herbs like turmeric and coriander bit the curry leaf isn't one of them.

Not sure what a good substitute is. As the typical curry powder is a mix of three herbs like turmeric and coriander bit the curry leaf isn't one of them.
I see Amazon has dried curry leaves, but those aren't the same as fresh though either, are they?

yerrag

I see Amazon has dried curry leaves, but those aren't the same as fresh though either, are they?
I don't think so. The fresh leaves will turn translucent and crispy and have a subtle flavor. I don't think the dried leaves will do. Better if you know an Indian housewife who knows how to make her own curry mix. She would have some idea.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals