Farmed Mussels? Are they ok?

AndrogenicJB

Ate around 100grams of farmed mussels today. I saw on cronometer that they are very nutrient dense. What do you guys think about them? Safe to eat or not

RealNeat

Ate around 100grams of farmed mussels today. I saw on cronometer that they are very nutrient dense. What do you guys think about them? Safe to eat or not
I think the nutrients are worth the toxicity occasionally. both oysters and mussels have toxicity as they are essentiality ocean filters along with seaweed. Farm raised shouldn't matter as they are farmed raised in the ocean, but I'd still get a non Asian source if possible. Shrimp on the other hand are not ok imo unless they are from the US and wild. Look up shrimp operations on YouTube in Asia... no thanks.

Michael Mohn

Mussels from New Zealand are the best on the market. They're gigantic and the oceans there are clean.

Oh gosh I love mussels, but as nutrient dense as they are, I hadn't realized they are extremely high in iron, comparative to oysters. I am counting them out as a regular item, especially in the warm coming months with weird bacteria, parasites and toxic algae blooms that are become more ferocious in this past year. Unfortunately our food chain is a bit of mine field nowadays ?

HealthPete

I eat tons green lipped mussels from new zealand. They are farmed in the open ocean on ropes. They are not like clams and oysters that are on the bottom parts of the ocean. I probably would not eat them if they were from the northern hemisphere though. I came here to search to see if anyone knows if they are not good to eat, but I have not found any convincing argument yet.

I occasionally enjoy mussels, but learning how very high they are in iron and phosphorus, I decided not to make them a regular in my diet.