Farm-raised, soy-free pastured eggs have more PUFA and less SFA?

Pete Rey

I buy these from a trusted farm. I don't know if this claim is accurate, but this is what they advertise:

Compared to non-pastured chicken and eggs, pasture raised chicken and eggs have the following nutritional differences:
286% more Omega 3 fatty acids
13% less saturated fats
73% more Vitamin A
200% more Vitamin E

The vitamins A and E makes sense. Obviously due to popular opinion they believe this is a good thing. So my question is, how are presumably healthier chickens producing more PUFA and less SFA? Or is this marketing claim bunk?

mostlylurking

I think it's marketing bunk. I'm pretty sure the amount of omega 3's in eggs depend on the chicken's diet. I keep free range chickens. They eat bugs and frogs so their protein intake is higher. They eat a lot of watermelon and sprouted grain. They also eat an organic layer pellet but it is not the primary thing in their diet and it does not contain soy or added omega 3's.

If you read the promotional hoopla printed on the egg cartons in the grocery store you would assume that omega 3's are good for you and the primary reason you should buy a particular brand.

Dr. B

I think it's marketing bunk. I'm pretty sure the amount of omega 3's in eggs depend on the chicken's diet. I keep free range chickens. They eat bugs and frogs so their protein intake is higher. They eat a lot of watermelon and sprouted grain. They also eat an organic layer pellet but it is not the primary thing in their diet and it does not contain soy or added omega 3's.

If you read the promotional hoopla printed on the egg cartons in the grocery store you would assume that omega 3's are good for you and the primary reason you should buy a particular brand.

grass fed cows and eggs do have more omega 3, and 286% is probably right. grass fed animals apparently have less omega 6 and more omega 3. apparently they have both in a 1:1 ratio. the amount of pufa overall may be similar, but itll be a more even balance of omega 3 and 6 instead of all omega 6 like in soy or corn fed cows/chickens. the 100% grass fed milks are often also advertised as having several hundred % more cla and omega 3.

i dont think they can lie about specifics like that. marketing bunk could be things like "healthiest milk around" "more nutrients" "best quality milk" those sorts of general terms, if they say 286% more omega 3, there has to be some other egg theyre comparing it to, that has less omega 3

even the 100% grass fed cows/chickens still have omega 3 and 6, with the cows PUFA is like around 3% of the total fat

OP
P

Pete Rey

grass fed cows and eggs do have more omega 3, and 286% is probably right. grass fed animals apparently have less omega 6 and more omega 3. apparently they have both in a 1:1 ratio. the amount of pufa overall may be similar, but itll be a more even balance of omega 3 and 6 instead of all omega 6 like in soy or corn fed cows/chickens. the 100% grass fed milks are often also advertised as having several hundred % more cla and omega 3.

i dont think they can lie about specifics like that. marketing bunk could be things like "healthiest milk around" "more nutrients" "best quality milk" those sorts of general terms, if they say 286% more omega 3, there has to be some other egg theyre comparing it to, that has less omega 3

even the 100% grass fed cows/chickens still have omega 3 and 6, with the cows PUFA is like around 3% of the total fat
Yeah, that makes sense. So then I suppose the 13% less saturated fat claim is simply because they are leaner animals overall.

mostlylurking

I don't think they are lying about their product. They tout feeding their chickens things like flax seed and fish meal and then say the eggs have high omega 3's like it's a big bonus. If everybody understood that omega 3's aren't good for you, they wouldn't feed the chickens feed that is high in omega 3's and they wouldn't boast about how the eggs are 286% higher in omega 3's.

Dr. B

I don't think they are lying about their product. They tout feeding their chickens things like flax seed and fish meal and then say the eggs have high omega 3's like it's a big bonus. If everybody understood that omega 3's aren't good for you, they wouldn't feed the chickens feed that is high in omega 3's and they wouldn't boast about how the eggs are 286% higher in omega 3's.
ah yeah in the original post it mentioned pastured chickens. I assumed pastured meant grass fed. if you look at milk, the grass fed milks have similar claims. I have heard omega 3 is better than omega 6, or that omega 6 and 3 nullify each others effects. regardless even 100% grass fed milks actually have more omega 3 and CLA, than conventional, soy and corn fed cows. so grass feeding increases omega 3 fats compared to soy/corn diets. the overall PUFA is still low at least in milk, but there's less omega 6 and more omega 3, i think organic valleys 100% grass fed bottle stated 3x as much omega 3 or something.
It should be the same for grass fed chickens, simply the act of not feeding them corn/soy and feeding them only grass would increase the omega 3 content. Pastured isn't a regulated term, doesn't mean as much unless they give a percentage number like 50% or 100% alongside it.

mostlylurking

ah yeah in the original post it mentioned pastured chickens. I assumed pastured meant grass fed. if you look at milk, the grass fed milks have similar claims. I have heard omega 3 is better than omega 6, or that omega 6 and 3 nullify each others effects. regardless even 100% grass fed milks actually have more omega 3 and CLA, than conventional, soy and corn fed cows. so grass feeding increases omega 3 fats compared to soy/corn diets. the overall PUFA is still low at least in milk, but there's less omega 6 and more omega 3, i think organic valleys 100% grass fed bottle stated 3x as much omega 3 or something.
It should be the same for grass fed chickens, simply the act of not feeding them corn/soy and feeding them only grass would increase the omega 3 content. Pastured isn't a regulated term, doesn't mean as much unless they give a percentage number like 50% or 100% alongside it.
Some confusing things in this. Cows have rumens. Bacteria in rumens saturate unsaturated fatty acids (omega 6 AND omega 3) by adding vitamin E to them. Grass has unsaturated fatty acids and the bacteria saturate them in the rumen. When the cows are put in a feed lot and fed a lot of grain (higher content of polyunsaturated fatty acids than grass), the rumen bacteria get overwhelmed and can't keep up so the cow's health is damaged; there's a definite limit to the amount of time a cow can be fed in a feed lot before they go heels up. They need to be on pasture to stay healthy.

I believe you're right; the grass food has more omega 3 fatty acids than the grains food. The grains food has more omega 6.

Chickens don't have rumens so they would wind up with more exposure to the omega 3 in the grass. But chickens are omnivorous; they like to eat meat. Bugs make up a big part of their diet. So under normal circumstances, chickens aren't subsisting on a diet of grass alone. They scratch through the grass looking for tasty bugs. But that won't make for good copy on the egg carton.

Dr. B

Some confusing things in this. Cows have rumens. Bacteria in rumens saturate unsaturated fatty acids (omega 6 AND omega 3) by adding vitamin E to them. Grass has unsaturated fatty acids and the bacteria saturate them in the rumen. When the cows are put in a feed lot and fed a lot of grain (higher content of polyunsaturated fatty acids than grass), the rumen bacteria get overwhelmed and can't keep up so the cow's health is damaged; there's a definite limit to the amount of time a cow can be fed in a feed lot before they go heels up. They need to be on pasture to stay healthy.

I believe you're right; the grass food has more omega 3 fatty acids than the grains food. The grains food has more omega 6.

Chickens don't have rumens so they would wind up with more exposure to the omega 3 in the grass. But chickens are omnivorous; they like to eat meat. Bugs make up a big part of their diet. So under normal circumstances, chickens aren't subsisting on a diet of grass alone. They scratch through the grass looking for tasty bugs. But that won't make for good copy on the egg carton.

Even the unhealthy cows milk, like walmart milk still ends up being mostly SFA and MUFA. the difference in PUFA goes from maybe 3% to 6%. but I imagine grass has a more even ratio of omega 3 to 6, considering the 100% grass fed cows have about an equal amount omega 3 and omega 6 in their milk/meat? whatever the mechanisms behind it, there is something in grass fed milk that allows it to have that triple or so amount of omega 3 compared to conventional milk.

and that makes sense on the chickens. so with chickens, conventional chickens will have more omega 6, whereas pastured ones, grass fed ones it makes sense would have more omega 3. ive heard chickens will eat seeds, bugs, basically whatever they find on pasture. I have heard even cows will actually eat random things they find on pasture like grains if available. im not sure of the PUFA content of bugs. but it makes sense pastured chickens could have more omega 3 than ones fed corn and soy. it could also be artificially inflated if theyre feeding the chickens fish meal and flax seed as you mentioned. I don't know how that works, but it would be misleading to label them pastured then feed those things. ive heard using the term grass fed on milk, only requires the cows are grass fed a minimum of 30% of the year. so that tells you how little grass those cows are being fed at places like costco/walmart who don't and likely can't use the grass fed label.

what causes cows to have such a short lifespan, even when they're fed grass on pasture? is it diseases, or just a naturally poor metabolism? Hasn't Ray said humans could live forever if the metabolism was good enough, is that something that only applies to humans.

mostlylurking

Even the unhealthy cows milk, like walmart milk still ends up being mostly SFA and MUFA. the difference in PUFA goes from maybe 3% to 6%. but I imagine grass has a more even ratio of omega 3 to 6, considering the 100% grass fed cows have about an equal amount omega 3 and omega 6 in their milk/meat? whatever the mechanisms behind it, there is something in grass fed milk that allows it to have that triple or so amount of omega 3 compared to conventional milk.

and that makes sense on the chickens. so with chickens, conventional chickens will have more omega 6, whereas pastured ones, grass fed ones it makes sense would have more omega 3. ive heard chickens will eat seeds, bugs, basically whatever they find on pasture. I have heard even cows will actually eat random things they find on pasture like grains if available. im not sure of the PUFA content of bugs. but it makes sense pastured chickens could have more omega 3 than ones fed corn and soy. it could also be artificially inflated if theyre feeding the chickens fish meal and flax seed as you mentioned. I don't know how that works, but it would be misleading to label them pastured then feed those things. ive heard using the term grass fed on milk, only requires the cows are grass fed a minimum of 30% of the year. so that tells you how little grass those cows are being fed at places like costco/walmart who don't and likely can't use the grass fed label.

what causes cows to have such a short lifespan, even when they're fed grass on pasture? is it diseases, or just a naturally poor metabolism? Hasn't Ray said humans could live forever if the metabolism was good enough, is that something that only applies to humans.
The Big Business of Dairy Farming: Big Trouble for Cows | Saving Earth | Encyclopedia Britannica This article explains a lot.

Lollipop2

+1

Dr. B

but im wondering even why the healthy cows lifespan is 20 years or more instead of 100 years like humans.

that's a good article

"A diet of grass, however, is high-fiber and of low nutritional density and does not result in a high milk yield. The milk produced from this diet would be enough to feed a calf, but it is not enough to satisfy market needs. So modern dairy cows are fed a low-fiber, high-protein diet of grains such as corn and soy along with animal by-products."

Ive heard grass is actually best for cows and creates the most nutritious milk. the typical white milk in grocery stores from factory farmed cows is much less nutritionally dense than the yellow milks from 100% grass fed cows. using hormones or incorrect feeding methods can drive the cow to create a higher volume of milk, but higher volume doesn't mean it still retains the same nutrients, it just means there's a higher liquid volume.

"Maintaining such high production for such an unnatural length of time exhausts the cows’ bodies and depletes them nutritionally to such a degree that even the nutritionally dense feed cannot compensate. Copious milk production causes cows’ bones to become severely deficient in calcium. They thus become prone to fracture, and the result is a sharp increase in the number of “downed” cows, or “downers,” a general term for farm and food animals who collapse, unable to stand up again, and must be destroyed."

that makes a lot of sense, the drugs force milk production. that milk production from these cows likely isn't as nutritionally good as 100% grass fed cows. supposedly jersey cows, guernsey cows have some of the most nutritious milk. some websites claim 50% rda of calcium per cup. if that's true, a half gallon of that milk would give you literally around 4000mg or more of calcium, far more than the typical 2500mg from regular milk.

I think even organic milk would help since they can't use antibiotics or growth hormones right? and then grass fed would be the other thing.

mostlylurking

I think even organic milk would help since they can't use antibiotics or growth hormones right? and then grass fed would be the other thing.
Yes, I think so. I don't have a source for fresh raw organic locally sourced milk, so I get the grocery store's brand of organic milk. I'm in Texas; there's a lot of good pasture here and in some areas it actually rains and the grass is plentiful. I like the milk, it tastes very good.

Dr. B

Yes, I think so. I don't have a source for fresh raw organic locally sourced milk, so I get the grocery store's brand of organic milk. I'm in Texas; there's a lot of good pasture here and in some areas it actually rains and the grass is plentiful. I like the milk, it tastes very good.
there should be a lot of raw and organic milk options there? which brand are you using for organic milk. if you go to whole foods or other stores they should have excellent options. otherwise, should be a lot of farms there?

mostlylurking

there should be a lot of raw and organic milk options there? which brand are you using for organic milk. if you go to whole foods or other stores they should have excellent options. otherwise, should be a lot of farms there?
There are areas of good grass locally and there used to be a dairy within easy driving distance, but the father died and then the son died and the wives could not keep the dairy going without their men. Family dairy farming is extremely hard work and wears people out.

The closest Whole Foods is 80 miles away (=160 miles round trip). I am using my HEB grocery store's organic brand. It tastes great and it costs $5.64/gallon and they offer 1%, 2%, and whole milk in the organic store brand. I think it's one of the store's loss leaders. I could buy my milk from the Natural Grocers store here, they carry the Kalona brand and also Mill-king (Waco area, 170 miles away) but these are considerably more expensive. link: https://mill-king.com/ . There was one raw milk source I found about 35 miles from here, but that's a 70 mile round trip drive and I don't even know if they survived the 10 year drought we recently experienced. So I'm counting my blessings for HEB organic.

Last edited:

Lollipop2

There are areas of good grass locally and there used to be a dairy within easy driving distance, but the father died and then the son died and the wives could not keep the dairy going without their men. Family dairy farming is extremely hard work and wears people out.

The closest Whole Foods is 80 miles away (=160 miles round trip). I am using my HEB grocery store's organic brand. It tastes great and it costs $5.64/gallon and they offer 1%, 2%, and whole milk in the organic store brand. I think it's one of the store's loss leaders. I could buy my milk from the Natural Grocers store here, they carry the Kalona brand and also Mill-king (Waco area, 170 miles away) but these are considerably more expensive. link: https://mill-king.com/ . There was one raw milk source I found about 35 miles from here, but that's a 70 mile round trip drive and I don't even know if they survived the 10 year drought we recently experienced. So I'm counting my blessings for HEB organic.
The Mill King is simply DELICIOUS - I prefer it over raw - low temp pasteurized non homogenized milk is for me the best ever. I also drink Kalona...

I am in Dallas.

mostlylurking

The Mill King is simply DELICIOUS - I prefer it over raw - low temp pasteurized non homogenized milk is for me the best ever. I also drink Kalona...

I am in Dallas.
Tasty milk requires great grass. Mill King dairy is near Waco which gets a whole lot more rain than where I am and they have deep dark rich dirt there which grows great grass.

Lollipop2

Tasty milk requires great grass. Mill King dairy is near Waco which gets a whole lot more rain than where I am and they have deep dark rich dirt there which grows great grass.
I love their milk. My husband and I want to go visit their farm and store. One Saturday, it’s on our list.

mostlylurking

I love their milk. My husband and I want to go visit their farm and store. One Saturday, it’s on our list.
I've had their milk and I think it is pretty wonderful. But the store here only carries their whole milk and I'm afraid I'll wind up as big as a house.

Lollipop2

I've had their milk and I think it is pretty wonderful. But the store here only carries their whole milk and I'm afraid I'll wind up as big as a house.
:): I get it! I only drink a few glasses a day so sort of works for me. Nice idea about trying the HEB milk. We have Central Markets here which are HEB. I have seen it but never tried it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dr. B

I am in Dallas.
how much do you pay for the half gallon or full gallon?

this is the one I use its $6 for a half gallon... tastes good like it is a jersey or jersey guernsey mix... it checks off all the possible boxes for milk besides being raw... i dont know if they vaccinate their cows as their email seems its not monitored

what is your total fat intake like, do you do a low fat diet?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals