Famotidine Is A Powerful Scavenger Of Nitric Oxide (NO)

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is probably one of the main reasons behind famotidine's healing of GI / liver damage, and protection from cancer. It could be a good alternative to methylene blue (MB) for NO scavenging purposes as the doses of MB required to scavenge NO are in the tens of milligrams per dose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20070855

"...The hepatoprotective effects of cimetidine, ranitidine and famotidine against hepatotoxicity induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4) ) were determined by measuring the levels of serum enzymes alanine transaminase (ALT), aspartate transaminase (AST) and alkaline phosphatase (ALP) activities in mice. We found that the IC(50) values of cimetidine, ranitidine and famotidine on DPPH radical-scavenging activity were 671±28, 538±21 and 955±43 μg/mL, respectively. Famotidine showed very strong nitric oxide-scavenging activity."

"...Famotidine showed very strong [NO scavenging] activity with an IC50 of 58mcg/mL."

artemis

Wow, thanks! Just stocked up on this.
Famotidine can be found anywhere, and the generic is like a few pennies per pill!

Peata

I've been taking it off and on for a while, but 10 mg. and not being consistent. So starting this week, I have been taking the 20 mg. dose. I wonder if a certain time of day is better?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
I've been taking it off and on for a while, but 10 mg. and not being consistent. So starting this week, I have been taking the 20 mg. dose. I wonder if a certain time of day is better?

There are studies showing better ulcer healing with taking twice a day (morning and evening). So, two 10mg doses are better than one 20mg dose. For glycogen purposes, one larger dose is better, and it's probably best to take in the morning since it will promote glycogen storage for all meals you have during the day.

Peata

haidut said:
Peata said:

There are studies showing better ulcer healing with taking twice a day (morning and evening). So, two 10mg doses are better than one 20mg dose. For glycogen purposes, one larger dose is better, and it's probably best to take in the morning since it will promote glycogen storage for all meals you have during the day.

Thank you.

TubZy

I took one pepcid this morning (20mg) for glycogen purposes, I have not felt the need to crave sugar mid afternoon anymore, it really dose help. However, it is so hard to find pepcid OTC with no a bunch of shitty fillers in it.

Caffeine was the only other thing that helped my glycogen storage, but I did not take it today.

Taurine helps a lot too but it tears up my stomach so I quit while back, but it was effective.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I took one pepcid this morning (20mg) for glycogen purposes, I have not felt the need to crave sugar mid afternoon anymore, it really dose help. However, it is so hard to find pepcid OTC with no a bunch of shitty fillers in it.

Caffeine was the only other thing that helped my glycogen storage, but I did not take it today.

Taurine helps a lot too but it tears up my stomach so I quit while back, but it was effective.

I think RiteAid carries a gelcap version that "only" has propylene glycol as additive. At least they used to have it a few years ago when I was using it.

TubZy

I think RiteAid carries a gelcap version that "only" has propylene glycol as additive. At least they used to have it a few years ago when I was using it.

I bought mine at shoprite, I'll check there next time. You ever figure out the issue with the stomach acid reduction, is it a big deal? Couldn't just taking a cap or two of betaine HCL with eliminate that issue anyways?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I bought mine at shoprite, I'll check there next time. You ever figure out the issue with the stomach acid reduction, is it a big deal? Couldn't just taking a cap or two of betaine HCL with eliminate that issue anyways?

I don't think famotidine at 10mg - 20mg reduces acid that much. There are studies that shows most of its good effects are due to improving mucosal regeneration and bloodflow to the area.

TubZy

I don't think famotidine at 10mg - 20mg reduces acid that much. There are studies that shows most of its good effects are due to improving mucosal regeneration and bloodflow to the area.

Thanks, yeah I don't see any issue with digestion today. It really does work I took it around 9:00am and went until about 2:30 or so today , and I still felt pretty fine. Usually by noon, I'm starving for sugar.

The drastic lowering in PTH shows it could be very beneficial for metabolism/thyroid too. This is pretty interesting.

sladerunner69

Didn't you say the 20mg made you irritable? Or was that another person.

Peata

Didn't you say the 20mg made you irritable? Or was that another person.
I don't think that was me. I used to get irritability at times from cyproheptadine, but doesn't happen anymore when I take it.

I've been using famotidine 20 mg. 3 x day for over a month now without irritation or other side effects.

Evgenius

I don't think that was me. I used to get irritability at times from cyproheptadine, but doesn't happen anymore when I take it.

I've been using famotidine 20 mg. 3 x day for over a month now without irritation or other side effects.

What about the positives, do you noticed something ?

Risingfire

@haidut what do you think is more effective for glycogen storage? Take right before a game/exercise or take it in the morning before a game/exercise that takes place at night?

Peata

What about the positives, do you noticed something ?
I don't get bad symptoms if I don't eat as often. I can still tell when I'm getting uncomfortable from not eating (beyond just stomach/hunger) but it doesn't result in the awful shaking, dizziness, etc. anymore.

It also makes taking aspirin easier since no stomach burning.

Mainly, I'm taking this high dose for a while to improve glycogen and liver health. Eventually, I intend to drop down to 2 x day.

sladerunner69

I don't get bad symptoms if I don't eat as often. I can still tell when I'm getting uncomfortable from not eating (beyond just stomach/hunger) but it doesn't result in the awful shaking, dizziness, etc. anymore.

It also makes taking aspirin easier since no stomach burning.

Mainly, I'm taking this high dose for a while to improve glycogen and liver health. Eventually, I intend to drop down to 2 x day.

Yeah, wow, 3x/day is the most Ive heard anyone take. The bottle says not to take more than 2x/daily. Oh well.

Peata

Yeah, wow, 3x/day is the most Ive heard anyone take. The bottle says not to take more than 2x/daily. Oh well.
I read for serious stomach conditions, doctors will prescribe up to 160 mg. every 6 hours if needed. I don't have a serious condition, but I'll probably take this high dosage (20 mg. 3 x day) a total of 2 months, then back down on it.

Anabolic

I accidentally just took the mononitrite form of thiamin (250mg) tonight, two hours ago, without checking what form it was first

knowing nitrites powerfully inhibit steroidogenesis I took two 20mg famotidine about two hours later,

@haidut how many mg of nitrite are in 250mg of thiamin, and was my emergency dose of 40mg famotidine any help to myself?

I'm worried, I started getting strong anti libido feelings shortly after the thiamin, that's when I looked and see I assumed wrong and it wasn't HCL /:

aguilaroja

I accidentally just took the mononitrite form of thiamin (250mg) tonight...without checking what form it was first
...knowing nitrites powerfully inhibit steroidogenesis I took two 20mg famotidine about two hours later..I'm worried, I started getting strong anti libido feelings shortly after the thiamin, that's when I looked and see I assumed wrong and it wasn't HCL /:

It is great that you were vigilant and noticed the form of thiamine. The awareness of nitrite effects on steroids is also great. Hats off for the quick thinking to use famotidine.

The common OTC thiamine compound beside Thiamine HCL is Thiamine Mononitrate, rather than mononitrite. There are concerns about nitrate intake as well as nitrite. Nitrate is largely eliminated via the kidneys. It is possible that the thiamine action as (diuretic) Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor noted by @haidut itself speed elimination of nitrate.
Thiamine Is A Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor As Effective As Acetazolamide

The elimination of nitrates is fairly rapid, so hopefully the excess is on its way out.
Nitrate/Nitrite Toxicity 2013: Biologic Fate of Nitrates and Nitrites | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM
“Half-lives of parent nitrate compounds are usually less than 1 hour; half-lives of metabolites range from 1 hour to 8 hours”

IIRC @haidut noted the HCL form of Thiamine was used in many studies showing beneficial thiamine effects. Since the HCL form of thiamine is pretty cheap, it seems silly that companies market the mononitrate form, which is probably only slightly cheaper.

Environmentally relevant concentrations of nitrate increase plasma testosterone concentrations in female American alligators (Alligator mississippi... - PubMed - NCBI
“..environmentally relevant concentrations of nitrate can increase circulating concentrations of T[testosterone] in young female alligators.”

Nitrate (NO3(-)) and nitrite (NO2(-)) are endocrine disruptors to downregulate expression of tyrosine hydroxylase and motor behavior through conver... - PubMed - NCBI
“the decreases in TH [tyrosine hydroxylase] expression and motor behavior caused by nitrate or nitrite alone were reversed suggesting the effects of nitrate and nitrite were mediated through estrogen receptor (ER).”
“…nitrate and nitrite are neurotoxicants acting as an endocrine disruptor possibly through conversion to NO to downregulate the activity of dopaminergic neuron in early development of zebrafish.”

Anabolic

It is great that you were vigilant and noticed the form of thiamine. The awareness of nitrite effects on steroids is also great. Hats off for the quick thinking to use famotidine.

The common OTC thiamine compound beside Thiamine HCL is Thiamine Mononitrate, rather than mononitrite. There are concerns about nitrate intake as well as nitrite. Nitrate is largely eliminated via the kidneys. It is possible that the thiamine action as (diuretic) Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor noted by @haidut itself speed elimination of nitrate.
Thiamine Is A Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor As Effective As Acetazolamide

The elimination of nitrates is fairly rapid, so hopefully the excess is on its way out.
Nitrate/Nitrite Toxicity 2013: Biologic Fate of Nitrates and Nitrites | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM
“Half-lives of parent nitrate compounds are usually less than 1 hour; half-lives of metabolites range from 1 hour to 8 hours”

IIRC @haidut noted the HCL form of Thiamine was used in many studies showing beneficial thiamine effects. Since the HCL form of thiamine is pretty cheap, it seems silly that companies market the mononitrate form, which is probably only slightly cheaper.

Environmentally relevant concentrations of nitrate increase plasma testosterone concentrations in female American alligators (Alligator mississippi... - PubMed - NCBI
“..environmentally relevant concentrations of nitrate can increase circulating concentrations of T[testosterone] in young female alligators.”

Nitrate (NO3(-)) and nitrite (NO2(-)) are endocrine disruptors to downregulate expression of tyrosine hydroxylase and motor behavior through conver... - PubMed - NCBI
“the decreases in TH [tyrosine hydroxylase] expression and motor behavior caused by nitrate or nitrite alone were reversed suggesting the effects of nitrate and nitrite were mediated through estrogen receptor (ER).”
“…nitrate and nitrite are neurotoxicants acting as an endocrine disruptor possibly through conversion to NO to downregulate the activity of dopaminergic neuron in early development of zebrafish.”

I really appreciate this! Thank you so much for your detailed reply!this has really helped put my mind at ease, especially knowing the excretion is fairly rapid. Thank you @aguilaroja ! :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom