Famotidine Is A Powerful Anti-serotonin Drug, Can Even Treat Serotonin Syndrome

inthedark

I'd been looking for stuff to help work on glycogen storage, which brought me to the posts by @haidut re: famotidine.

Yesterday I had the onset of a migraine and what felt like high serotonin/histamine symptoms that often accompany migraines for me (noisy vision, soreness, brain fog etc). Usually the only thing that helps is as many as ten 323mg aspirin tablets or a few ibuprofen (which I've been trying to avoid) and hours of rest. I went to the grocery store and purchased some pepsid (famotidine) and took a 20mg tab. It didn't entirely resolve the headache but improved it drastically, along with the other symptoms, and allowed me to go on with my day. I took another later that day. As a bonus I had the first night in ages that I didn't have to get up once to pee (reduction of stress hormones due to improved glycogen storage?)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'd been looking for stuff to help work on glycogen storage, which brought me to the posts by @haidut re: famotidine.

Yesterday I had the onset of a migraine and what felt like high serotonin/histamine symptoms that often accompany migraines for me (noisy vision, soreness, brain fog etc). Usually the only thing that helps is as many as ten 323mg aspirin tablets or a few ibuprofen (which I've been trying to avoid) and hours of rest. I went to the grocery store and purchased some pepsid (famotidine) and took a 20mg tab. It didn't entirely resolve the headache but improved it drastically, along with the other symptoms, and allowed me to go on with my day. I took another later that day. As a bonus I had the first night in ages that I didn't have to get up once to pee (reduction of stress hormones due to improved glycogen storage?)

Migraines, aside from blood sugar issues are usually due to serotonin which is why anti-serotonin drugs or lowering serotonin helps. Vitamin B2 increases MAO-A activity and is used clinically for migraines, and cypro and famotidine are also great tool.

inthedark

Migraines, aside from blood sugar issues are usually due to serotonin which is why anti-serotonin drugs or lowering serotonin helps. Vitamin B2 increases MAO-A activity and is used clinically for migraines, and cypro and famotidine are also great tool.

Cyproheptadine usually helped a little but for me usually had much less effect. Very impressed with Famotidine. @haidut do you think the glycogen storage improvements with Famotidine are transitory or would they persist for some time (days, weeks?) after the last dose?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Cyproheptadine usually helped a little but for me usually had much less effect. Very impressed with Famotidine. @haidut do you think the glycogen storage improvements with Famotidine are transitory or would they persist for some time (days, weeks?) after the last dose?

I think famotidine also helps with liver health so its ability to store glycogen should improve with time. So, the effects should be persistent once liver health is better.

inthedark

I think famotidine also helps with liver health so its ability to store glycogen should improve with time. So, the effects should be persistent once liver health is better.

Thanks! I can't find much about the long term safety of Famotidine but I'd very much like to try it for liver health. What's your take on its long term safety/has anyone here taken it long term?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks! I can't find much about the long term safety of Famotidine but I'd very much like to try it for liver health. What's your take on its long term safety/has anyone here taken it long term?

It's been used by millions of people for decades without any serious issues.

Broken man

Hello all, I had luck and found some famotidine, It was hard because its on prescription in my country. I tried to dissolve it in water but whole pill was dissolved. I think, the metals were dissolved too. What I can do with it please? Its was really expensive for me.....

sladerunner69

Did you get any help from 20mg? 10mg doesn't do enough for me so I'll try 20mg next meal.

I think it helps with stomach acid and discomfort. Especially when I drink OJ and Coffee my stomach can act up, and famatodine can resolve it quickly. My dad also said it helped him.

nostalgic

I think it helps with stomach acid and discomfort. Especially when I drink OJ and Coffee my stomach can act up, and famatodine can resolve it quickly. My dad also said it helped him.
I meant in regards to decrease serotonin. For me the effect was small on 20mg, and a couple of hours later I experienced much higher serotonin so it probably mostly delayed the production. Been reading that Fenclonine seems to be a possible way of decreasing serotonin, and it's pretty much my only hope but I have no idea how to acquire it yet.

GAF

Sound Body famoditine at my Big Lots is $2.70 for 25 20mg tablets. This is the best price by far i have seen. I grab a few bottles frequently. See inactive ingredients at

Sound body acid reducer OTC Brands - Drugs.com

I take one or two per day to help control reflux and mucus primarily. Hard for me to tell about other benefits since I do other rpf ideas too.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
Does it increase body fat like cyproheptadine?

Not that I know of. It is still not very clear how famotidine lowers/blocks serotonin but I don't think it shares cypro's weight gain effects.

Ron J

Not that I know of. It is still not very clear how famotidine lowers/blocks serotonin but I don't think it shares cypro's weight gain effects.
I was considering it, but I don't want to reduce stomach acid. Is there any other anti-serotonin substance similar and as cheap as cypro(aside from BCAA's-tyrosine and the dopamine promoters discussed here)? I'm looking for something that directly lowers serotonin, like cypro, not a reduction via dopamine promoters.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals