Famotidine Is A Powerful Anti-serotonin Drug, Can Even Treat Serotonin Syndrome

aguilaroja

...our old friend famotidine is a powerful inhibitor of serotonin synthesis in the GI tract, and the mechanism of action is the H2 antagonism as other H2 antagonists of the same class also appear to lower serotonin.
...If famotidine is indeed an inhibitor of serotonin synthesis then this may explain its effects on improving insulin sensitivity, treating schizophrenia, preventing GI fibrosis, improving glycogen storage, etc. ...
Interesting Properties Of The H2 Antagonist Famotidine

There’s a post up about famotidine's protective action in a different shock state, sepsis (overwhelming infection). Perhaps these recent findings will help providers re-think intensive care.

“Of course”, if famotidine and other measures are relieving in life-threatening situations, steps may be helpful before things get to the extreme.

Famotidine & Anti-histamines Protect Organs In (septic) Shock

sladerunner69

I have been taking 20mg famotadine twice each day. Is this a decent protocol for lowering serotonin and protecting against potential ulceritis caused by aspirin and OJ?

My primary concern is lowering my stomacha cid too much, I guess.

sladerunner69

These are the ingredients in my famatodine: carnauba wax, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, lactose (monohydrate), magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polyvinyl alcohol, talc, and titanium dioxide

The pills are very small though

HLP

I had to quit taking Pepcid because it caused sore feet. I've experienced this before from drinking alkaline water (what was I thinking!). I've learned that becoming over alkaline will cause lower body aches and pains. So it isn't for everyone. I also experienced drowsiness that continued in to the next day following a small dose of Pepcid.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
There’s a post up about famotidine's protective action in a different shock state, sepsis (overwhelming infection). Perhaps these recent findings will help providers re-think intensive care.

“Of course”, if famotidine and other measures are relieving in life-threatening situations, steps may be helpful before things get to the extreme.

Famotidine & Anti-histamines Protect Organs In (septic) Shock

Excellent, thanks. So combining something like famotidine and Benadryl would be a great OTC remedy for endotoxin assault before it gets out of control, right? I wonder if that would also help mitigate the "flu" as so many of these flu infections seem to be simply an endotoxin reaction or coming into contact with something else that works through TLR4.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have been taking 20mg famotadine twice each day. Is this a decent protocol for lowering serotonin and protecting against potential ulceritis caused by aspirin and OJ?

My primary concern is lowering my stomacha cid too much, I guess.

I think the studies showed that even 10mg daily is enough for protecting against aspirin but everybody is different. Keep in mind that because famotidine tends to also thin the blood the vitamin K is definitely needed if aspirin dose is above say 650mg daily.

alywest

I would buy a clean version of this but in the meantime I'll be buying pepcid. Online it says it can be administered to children. I'm going to give it to my autistic four year old unless anyone has objections? I've been holding off on giving him aspirin but if he gets pepcid will it be ok? How much would you give of aspirin, too, haidut?

Queequeg

Unless I am missing something, I would be concerned about the dangers of lowering stomach acid. Most of us already produce too little stomach acid and Pepcid would only exacerbate that. Lower stomach acid obviously decreases proper digestion and decreases proper mineral absorption, especially calcium. Undigested food in the stomach would also likely cause bacterial overgrowth in the intestines and therefore increase endotoxins. Low stomach acid also increases the risk for bacterial or viral infection from food.

IMO a safer route to lowering serotonin would be tianeptine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I would buy a clean version of this but in the meantime I'll be buying pepcid. Online it says it can be administered to children. I'm going to give it to my autistic four year old unless anyone has objections? I've been holding off on giving him aspirin but if he gets pepcid will it be ok? How much would you give of aspirin, too, haidut?

Where did you see me suggesting combining aspirin with famotidine for autism? All I said was that if one takes aspirin, a low dose famotodine has been given to protect the
Unless I am missing something, I would be concerned about the dangers of lowering stomach acid. Most of us already produce too little stomach acid and Pepcid would only exacerbate that. Lower stomach acid obviously decreases proper digestion and decreases proper mineral absorption, especially calcium. Undigested food in the stomach would also likely cause bacterial overgrowth in the intestines and therefore increase endotoxins. Low stomach acid also increases the risk for bacterial or viral infection from food.

At a dose of 10mg - 20mg famotodine does not really reduce stomach acid much. The stomach protection turned out to be due to improved blood flow and somehow helping mucosa regenerate. You usually need at least 40mg famotidine daily to see a serious drop in stomach acid. The dose for healing ulcers is even higher - usually 40mg x 2 daily.
But the point valid and I don't think anybody is advising gobbling up famotidine for no reason. It's just another tool to be used judiciously as needed, which won't affect stomach acid much.

alywest

Where did you see me suggesting combining aspirin with famotidine for autism? All I said was that if one takes aspirin, a low dose famotodine has been given to protect the

Sorry I wasn't trying to say you suggested aspirin for autism, I have been wanting to give a small dose of aspirin but didn't because of concerns over stomach acid, etc. But I thought you might be able to help me determine a safe dosage. According to other websites only a 15 mg dose is recommended, so I will just go with that for now. I am also interested in giving him famotidine for the serotonin-lowering benefits. At this time he is not taking any meds at all but consuming more OJ and milk and with good results. I'm wary of adding any medications but aspirin has been extremely helpful to me and I would like to give him anything that could help. I also give him an A,D and K2 supplement. You seem to be very knowledgeable about this stuff so I was hoping you could advise me. I also found another thread in which you pointed out that antibiotics were being used to treat autism, however, I don't have a dr. who will prescribe a course of antibiotics so I was hoping that perhaps famotidine could be an alternative if it helps reduce endotoxin, etc. There don't seem to be any contraindications to giving famotidine to children or infants. Again, sorry for not being more clear previously, if you think I'm totally crazy for suggesting giving aspirin and famotidine to my child, please let me know! I haven't done it yet but was just hoping for advise.

goodandevil

Agreed. Plus potential anemia.

Peata

I took 20 mg two x day for about a week and noticed increased irritability. Maybe it was a coincidence, but if not, why would lower serotonin produce irritable feelings instead of good ones?

As I recall, I experienced a similar thing when using Cyproheptadine sometimes.

@haidut seems a few of us have noticed this. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

sladerunner69

I took 20 mg two x day for about a week and noticed increased irritability. Maybe it was a coincidence, but if not, why would lower serotonin produce irritable feelings instead of good ones?

I take 20 mg 2x per day as well. I also feel too irritable, similar to how I felt irritable when on too much androsterone, aspirin, niacinimide, k2, caffiene.

I think the irritability has somehting to do with very low cortisol or estrogen. Or maybe very low serotonin as well.

TubZy

Probably killing histamine too much. If I lower histamine too much my libido disappears.

TeslaFan

@haidut seems a few of us have noticed this. Any thoughts?

Serotonin is there to fill the void left by low dopamine. Serotonin is there for a purpose: as a metabolic break, and a poor-man's substitute for dopamine. As dopamine increases it suppresses TPH enzyme, which gradually reduces serotonin while dopamine fills the gap.

A.R

Serotonin is there to fill the void left by low dopamine. Serotonin is there for a purpose: as a metabolic break, and a poor-man's substitute for dopamine. As dopamine increases it suppresses TPH enzyme, which gradually reduces serotonin while dopamine fills the gap.
So, to lower serotonin, in your opinion is is better to take a dopamine agonist instead ?

Regina

Serotonin is the poor-man's substitute for dopamine. As perhaps, ego attempts to make up for a lack of self.

TeslaFan

So, to lower serotonin, in your opinion is is better to take a dopamine agonist instead ?

Well, raising dopamine is a complex subject which certainly deserves a separate thread - I am sure there are several. I will like to quickly highlight few points I learned about dopamine:

Good dopamine levels and its proper metabolism is a wonderful thing.

Dopamine has to be broken down. Ideally, in a healthy person, most is broken down via MAO-A and COMT enzymes. If one or both of these are not working well, body will do one or two of the following things:
1.) it will create a new enzyme, MAO-B, which poorly breaks down dopamine, creating reactive oxygen species (ROS) and hydrogen peroxide in the process. This will cause neural damage and may even lead to Parkinson's in those individuals prone to it.
2.) it will up-regulate DBH enzyme that converts dopamine to noradrenaline / adrenaline. This can cause rapid conversion of dopamine to adrenaline, so by raising dopamine we end up with elevated adrenaline instead.

So, unless MAO-A and COMT enzymes are healthy, raising dopamine will cause problems, more or less, depending on the state of the factors involved.

Often, dopamine is reduced and replaced with serotonin as a harm-avoidance mechanism, a trade-off to prevent greater damage.

Dopamine agonist have merits, but also side-effects. I personally use some occasionally, but so far, low dose Selegiline has been the safest route for me, both from experience and understanding. When used in low dose, it inhibits MAO-B enzyme specifically.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals