Famotidine For COVID-19?

alywest

HAHA everyones favorite news purveyor has the scoop!

Ray Peat right again? not sure I haven't been following very closely.

Famotidine: New York hospitals are studying whether a heartburn drug can treat Covid-19 - CNN
Famotidine has been talked about a lot on this forum as an anti serotonin agent, and peat has talked about using cyproheptadine. Cyproheptadine would probably be just as good as famotidine but no one knows exactly why famotidine is working in the covid patients yet. I’m guessing it’s the anti serotonin property that is actually helping the covid patients but of course they’re going to have to make it sound like it’s something else entirely so as not to disrupt the serotonin as happy hormone illusion.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the heads-up. I take it for my chronic cough as it is helpful, so the cough may have a reflux component. Time to stock up!

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
If they let Trump mention it, then that will put a stop to the sales & use...

haidut

Forum Supporter
As I mentioned to @Oraganic4me in another post - I think its main effects are through lowering serotonin and enhancing glycogen synthesis by inhibiting GSK-3. The latter mechanism is known to be broadly therapeutic and work even for things like cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer, etc. Of course, the medical industry will never come out with a claim that lowering serotonin is therapeutic for viral conditions as that would decimate the SSRI sales and likely trigger massive lawsuits as lawyers will quickly figure out that they can make an argument for SSRI drugs contributing to the viral pathology and/or making it worse. So, they invented another obscure mechanism as an explanation of the benefits from famotidine.

alywest

As I mentioned to @Oraganic4me in another post - I think its main effects are through lowering serotonin and enhancing glycogen synthesis by inhibiting GSK-3. The latter mechanism is known to be broadly therapeutic and work even for things like cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer, etc. Of course, the medical industry will never come out with a claim that lowering serotonin is therapeutic for viral conditions as that would decimate the SSRI sales and likely trigger massive lawsuits as lawyers will quickly figure out that they can make an argument for SSRI drugs contributing to the viral pathology and/or making it worse. So, they invented another obscure mechanism as an explanation of the benefits from famotidine.

“Scientists suspect that in COVID-19, famotidine binds to the papainlike protease which helps pathogens replicate in the body and stops them replicating.” -Daily Mail

YourUniverse

I've been meaning to make a thread on famotidine and how incredible its been for (what I believe are) its glycogen store enhancing effects. 40mg and I can go an entire day on only breakfast, not thinking about food, which is a novel experience for me.

That said @haidut could its protection against covid be due to carbonic anhydrase inhibition? Ray mentioned acetazolamide as useful for covid symptoms which has this effect potently IIRC.

PS - how long can one safely take famotidine? Should it be cycled, used intermittently?

alywest

I've been meaning to make a thread on famotidine and how incredible its been for (what I believe are) its glycogen store enhancing effects. 40mg and I can go an entire day on only breakfast, not thinking about food, which is a novel experience for me.

That said @haidut could its protection against covid be due to carbonic anhydrase inhibition? Ray mentioned acetazolamide as useful for covid symptoms which has this effect potently IIRC.

PS - how long can one safely take famotidine? Should it be cycled, used intermittently?
In hospitals they’re actually injecting it. I know you can take 80 mg but I’m not sure how much more would be safe to take at once. It sounds like doctors are anecdotally having friends and family take “mega doses” but I’m not sure what that would be. Anyone?

YourUniverse

In hospitals they’re actually injecting it. I know you can take 80 mg but I’m not sure how much more would be safe to take at once. It sounds like doctors are anecdotally having friends and family take “mega doses” but I’m not sure what that would be. Anyone?
Thanks, is it safe to take 80mg daily for long periods of time, or indefinitely?

alywest

Thanks, is it safe to take 80mg daily for long periods of time, or indefinitely?
I'm actually not sure about doing that long term. That was actually the dosage used long term for autistic children that was supposed to actually help their behavior. So if it's safe for children long term I'd assume it's safe for adults

Nokoni

Famotidine is supposed to be pretty safe so I tried it but got a bad reaction. One of the (rare?) side effects is blurry vision and it did that to me. I was taking 20 mg twice a day.

aguilaroja

Here is a link to the Science magazine article, which gives a bit different detail:
New York clinical trial quietly tests heartburn remedy against coronavirus

IF this is effective, Dr. Peat & @haidut may take note that the observed cohort of Chinese patients with better outcomes were maybe less wealthy, so their heartburn was treated with Pepcid/famotidine, rather than a PPI, Prilosec/omeprazole.

"In reviewing 6212 COVID-19 patient records, the doctors noticed that many survivors had been suffering from chronic heartburn and were on famotidine rather than more-expensive omeprazole (Prilosec), the medicine of choice both in the United States and among wealthier Chinese. Hospitalized COVID-19 patients on famotidine appeared to be dying at a rate of about 14% compared with 27% for those not on the drug, although the analysis was crude and the result was not statistically significant."

aguilaroja

I've been meaning to make a thread on famotidine and how incredible its been for (what I believe are) its glycogen store enhancing effects....

Maybe carbonic anhyrdase inhibition, maybe lowering serotonin
Serotonin antagonists as treatment for COVID-19 / SARS – To Extract Knowledge from Matter
, and also maybe other interesting properties.

Famotidine, an Antiulcer Agent, Strongly Inhibits Helicobacter pylori and Human Carbonic Anhydrases. - PubMed - NCBI
"The high resolution X-ray structures of famotidine bound to hCA I and II revealed interesting aspects related to its CA inhibition mechanism, offering the possibility to develop antibacterials with a novel mechanism of action."

Here is @nullredvector 's thread/reference
Famotidine Has Antibiotic Actions, Esp Against E. Coli

Famotidine complexes with cobalt, maybe it complexes with other minerals ?
Famotidine, an Antiulcer Agent, Strongly Inhibits Helicobacter pylori and Human Carbonic Anhydrases. - PubMed - NCBI
"Antibacterial and antifungal activity of famotidine and its newly synthesized complex against representative bacteria: Escherichia coli, Staphilococcus aureus and Micrococcus lysodeikticus and fungi: Aspergillus niger and Candida albicans were examined. The results indicate a higher selectivity of the famotidine-Co(III) complex, as well as better growth inhibitory activity (lower MIC values (MIC, minimal inhibitory concentration)) in comparison with the drug alone."

Maybe famotidine keeps antiviral compounds from being excreted too quickly by its renal action
Effect of famotidine on ciprofloxacin pharmacokinetics after single intravenous and oral doses in rats. - PubMed - NCBI,
"These results suggest a possible reduction in the total clearance of ciprofloxacin, owing to inhibition of its renal tubular excretion by famotidine."

Maybe famotidine also is liver protective, adding to anti-shock properties in severe COVID events:
Hepatoprotective, antinociceptive and antioxidant activities of cimetidine, ranitidine and famotidine as histamine H2 receptor antagonists. - PubMed - NCBI
"...antioxidant activities of H(2) blockers have an analgesic activity and protective effect on CCl(4)-induced hepatotoxicity in mice."

YourUniverse

Maybe carbonic anhyrdase inhibition, maybe lowering serotonin
Serotonin antagonists as treatment for COVID-19 / SARS – To Extract Knowledge from Matter
, and also maybe other interesting properties.

"The high resolution X-ray structures of famotidine bound to hCA I and II revealed interesting aspects related to its CA inhibition mechanism, offering the possibility to develop antibacterials with a novel mechanism of action."

Here is @nullredvector 's thread/reference
Famotidine Has Antibiotic Actions, Esp Against E. Coli

Famotidine complexes with cobalt, maybe it complexes with other minerals ?
"Antibacterial and antifungal activity of famotidine and its newly synthesized complex against representative bacteria: Escherichia coli, Staphilococcus aureus and Micrococcus lysodeikticus and fungi: Aspergillus niger and Candida albicans were examined. The results indicate a higher selectivity of the famotidine-Co(III) complex, as well as better growth inhibitory activity (lower MIC values (MIC, minimal inhibitory concentration)) in comparison with the drug alone."

Maybe famotidine keeps antiviral compounds from being excreted too quickly by its renal action
Effect of famotidine on ciprofloxacin pharmacokinetics after single intravenous and oral doses in rats. - PubMed - NCBI,
"These results suggest a possible reduction in the total clearance of ciprofloxacin, owing to inhibition of its renal tubular excretion by famotidine."

Maybe famotidine also is liver protective, adding to anti-shock properties in severe COVID events:
Hepatoprotective, antinociceptive and antioxidant activities of cimetidine, ranitidine and famotidine as histamine H2 receptor antagonists. - PubMed - NCBI
"...antioxidant activities of H(2) blockers have an analgesic activity and protective effect on CCl(4)-induced hepatotoxicity in mice."
Nice. I plan on taking famotidine indefinitely, do you think that could cause problems over time?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals