Family member got a bad checkup...

Peata

A close relative, male, age 43, had a checkup and found that he is 3 points away from being diabetic and also has a fatty liver. I'm not surprised as metabolic issues run in family (for example, I have PCOS). AFAIK he is only an occasional drinker. He isn't obese but does have a large belly. I will try to introduce RP ideas to him such as low PUFA to start. Any other suggestions for these conditions?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
Any other suggestions for these conditions?
Everything Ray Peat. :) Dramatically lowering PUFA should definitely be focused on.

[offtopic]Chris Masterjohn wrote an article about non alcoholic fatty liver disease. I am giving this an off topic quote because this is not directly related to Ray Peat.
Chris Masterjohn said:
In the article, I argue that fatty liver is essentially the consequence of several independent nutritional assaults. These include 1) nutrient-poor refined foods, 2) choline deficiency, and 3) polyunsaturated oils. Fatty liver can basically be divided into two stages, the first involving the accumulation of fat, and the second involving the progression of inflammation. The first, I argue, results from too much caloric energy entering the liver without sufficient nutrition to process it, while the second results from any type of oxidative and inflammatory insults, with excess dietary linoleic acid making a special contribution.
Link from where quote above was taken from.

Click here for article about non alcoholic fatty liver disease.[/offtopic]

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you, Charlie. Great article. I passed it along to him.

Mittir

Charlie said:
Peata said:
Any other suggestions for these conditions?
Everything Ray Peat. :) Dramatically lowering PUFA should definitely be focused on.

[offtopic]Chris Masterjohn wrote an article about non alcoholic fatty liver disease. I am giving this an off topic quote because this is not directly related to Ray Peat.
Chris Masterjohn said:
In the article, I argue that fatty liver is essentially the consequence of several independent nutritional assaults. These include 1) nutrient-poor refined foods, 2) choline deficiency, and 3) polyunsaturated oils. Fatty liver can basically be divided into two stages, the first involving the accumulation of fat, and the second involving the progression of inflammation. The first, I argue, results from too much caloric energy entering the liver without sufficient nutrition to process it, while the second results from any type of oxidative and inflammatory insults, with excess dietary linoleic acid making a special contribution.
Link from where quote above was taken from.

Click here for article about non alcoholic fatty liver disease.[/offtopic]

I used to be a fan of Chris Masterjohn before i found RP.
Most of his articles are simply explaining RP's conclusion.
He rarely mentions RP. But he once mentioned that
RP was a major inspiration in the beginning. If you check old onibasu.com website
you will see RP and Masterjohn both were active there.
In terms of of fatty liver ,both of them see PUFA as major cause but
they differ in recommending cure. CM thinks increased Choline is part of a cure. RP thinks
increased thyroid energizes liver along with B vitamins, Coffee, saturated fat,
raw carrot salad. RP is not a big fan of choline/lecithin supplement.
Egg yolk and liver both are major source of choline.

OP
Peata

Peata

Last year I took a choline supplement (and other liver supplements) to try to help my liver and gallbladder, but it didn't seem to have an effect that I could tell. I also tried everything from low carb to perricone to mostly raw. RP is the way that's helped me so I stick with it. I've also had to go out on my own with some supplements, but everyone is different.

I haven't had any ultrasound or anything since starting RP last March to see if my own issues have improved. But I had a doctor tell me fatty liver CAN'T get better - once you have it, you have it forever he implied. Does anyone have info to the contrary?

But I can tell when my liver is functioning optimally and when it's a bit bogged down. At any rate, thank you Mittir, and I will definitely try to get this person to look into RP ideas.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
Does anyone have info to the contrary?
Yes, I had fatty liver and then it went away according to my doctors.

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Peata said:
Does anyone have info to the contrary?
Yes, I had fatty liver and then it went away according to my doctors.

Where you eating RP style or something else at the time? What do you credit for healing your liver?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I had lost a lot of weight, no I was not eating Peat at the time. I was doing low carb hormonal destruction fun times diet. :mrgreen:

4peatssake

Charlie said:
I was doing low carb hormonal destruction fun times diet. :mrgreen:
:rolling yeah fun times!

Attachments

• lowcarbcartoon.jpg
    lowcarbcartoon.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 428
OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
I had lost a lot of weight, no I was not eating Peat at the time. I was doing low carb hormonal destruction fun times diet. :mrgreen:

Besides losing fat, all the saturated fat in a low carb diet probably helped.

OP
Peata

Peata

Says he's drinking whole milk and has cut back back on fast food. It's a start.

OP
Peata

Peata

He's been reading "Wheat Belly" and following it, or at least to some degree. Lost #10 last time I checked.