Familial Longevity Is Associated With Decreased Thyroid Function

Constatine

Low thyroid is protective in some conditions. For an example thyroid is lowered during bacteria infection and raising the thyroid decreases survival. A high metabolic state is more healthy than a low metabolic state when nutrition and caloric intake is adequate but the opposite is true when nutrition and caloric intake is not adequate. It's worth noting the participants had low thyroid function in their 90s which is likely protective as hypermetabolism is much worse of a problem in that age than hypometabolism. Hypermetabolism is not a fast healthy metabolism but rather the lack of resources to support the metabolism. The elderly rapidly losing weight before they pass is a classic example of the challenges of hypermetabolism in that age. I would guess that the participants had good thyroid function when they were younger.

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
how does this study define strong metabolism?

I added the full study that tracked their TSHs

If there are any that are scientifically inclined that can help interpret these studies, that'd be great.

x-ray peat

Here is a study that looks at more middle aged to older group but come to the same conclusion

Conclusions and Relevance At the age of 50 years, participants with low-normal thyroid function live up to 3.5 years longer overall and up to 3.1 years longer without CVD than participants with high-normal thyroid function. These findings provide supporting evidence for a reevaluation of the current reference ranges of thyroid function and can help inform preventive and clinical care.

Life Expectancy Within the Reference Range of Thyroid Function

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
Here is a study that looks at more middle aged to older group but come to the same conclusion

Conclusions and Relevance At the age of 50 years, participants with low-normal thyroid function live up to 3.5 years longer overall and up to 3.1 years longer without CVD than participants with high-normal thyroid function. These findings provide supporting evidence for a reevaluation of the current reference ranges of thyroid function and can help inform preventive and clinical care.

Life Expectancy Within the Reference Range of Thyroid Function

Yeah, I wonder what Ray has to say about it. Danny Roddy sent me some counter studies...in rats and fish...

I don't know if there's other factors...people with low thyroid probably sit on their **** all day long and hence probably have lower stress levels (cortisol) but is that really a life you want to live?

x-ray peat

Yeah, I wonder what Ray has to say about it. Danny Roddy sent me some counter studies...in rats and fish...

I don't know if there's other factors...people with low thyroid probably sit on their **** all day long and hence probably have lower stress levels (cortisol) but is that really a life you want to live?
Yeah, someone with his email should ask him what he thinks about these studies. Did Roddy have any reason? Fish and rat studies dont seem to be very convincing when you have several human studies and I have seen several animal studies that say the same thing.

One article pointed out that intermittent fasting lowers thyroid and it is maybe this that cause the longevity.

Definitely lots of confounding factors that make it hard to know whats really going on.

Last edited:
OP
BestSinceDAYONE
Yeah, someone with his email should ask him what he thinks about these studies. Did Roddy have any reason? Fish and rat studies dont seem to be very convincing when you have several human studies and I have seen several animal studies that say the same thing.

One article pointed out that intermittent fasting lowers thyroid and it is maybe this that cause the longevity.

Definitely lots of confounding factors that make it hard to know whats really going on.

It was on youtube, Idk if he responds to ppl that don't pay him $. lol. I replied back to his fish/rat studies and see if there was any in humans.

It has been long known that calorie restriction extends life in humans.

That being said, you could make the argument that the ppl with better thyroid function can still eat like ***t (tons of PUFAs, not enough carbs, higher stress, etc.)

akgrrrl

Thank you for the remind that intermittent fasting lowers thyroid...I am always so surprised that my heartrate is still 42 at rest and barely54 walking/working despite taking t3, t4 to get thyroid up. Still cold hands and feet I am thinking periph vasc disorder, but just got my red lights so the experiments continue

baccheion

Thank you for the remind that intermittent fasting lowers thyroid...I am always so surprised that my heartrate is still 42 at rest and barely54 walking/working despite taking t3, t4 to get thyroid up. Still cold hands and feet I am thinking periph vasc disorder, but just got my red lights so the experiments continue
Do you have any lab work? A comprehensive hormone panel? Thyroid panel? NutrEval? Genetic testing? Etc? Intermittent fasting is different (ie, riskier) with women than with men.

akgrrrl

Do you have any lab work? A comprehensive hormone panel? Thyroid panel? NutrEval? Genetic testing? Etc? Intermittent fasting is different (ie, riskier) with women than with men.
yes a reg blood panel as recent as last week, all good. And yes, I've taken the advanced drink-the-red-koolaid blood sugar test , A thyroid panel about 8 months ago to confirm I was "in the range". The indepth panel at my request because the cold hands and feet continue along with low heart rate, which, I must say is nothing new. But, I am COLD and insisted to the PA that oversees my corporate health care that something wass not right. I have suggested none too sweetly, that the "ranges" must not apply to me. August I paid the money for the genetic testing but didn't send it in when I read several sources how little can be gotten from such,....I'm a nutrition fiend, and seriously hope I couldn't possibly have a deficiency that wouldnt be obvious... From Jan 2018 to Sept., I was on 80 mgs Levothyroxin. Prior to that, I was on NatureThroid, was dispensed 125 mg Levothyroxin, 60 mg, then 100 , then Armour, then combos of Levothy and Leothione, all differing doses and my life was a mess.
Gosh thankyou for asking that question, I find myself naturally wanting to forego eating breakfast, going 12-14 hrs fast from midnight to noon next day, maybe 2x a week, Why are women more at risk than men? and, at risk for...what?
I am still in the position of trial and error and study regarding thyroid. Reading the 32 page thread started by Haidut is confusing to me still, as posters dose with meals, while I was counseled by the pharmacist to never eat within an hour of taking thyroid supps. Most Peaters are seeking solutions for greater energy production, yet the long thread indicates people falling asleep after taking their dose. I don't understand it yet. I am combining diet, red light and supps to dial in thyroid on my own, and other Idealabs ideas for the circulation.

baccheion

yes a reg blood panel as recent as last week, all good. And yes, I've taken the advanced drink-the-red-koolaid blood sugar test , A thyroid panel about 8 months ago to confirm I was "in the range". The indepth panel at my request because the cold hands and feet continue along with low heart rate, which, I must say is nothing new. But, I am COLD and insisted to the PA that oversees my corporate health care that something wass not right. I have suggested none too sweetly, that the "ranges" must not apply to me. August I paid the money for the genetic testing but didn't send it in when I read several sources how little can be gotten from such,....I'm a nutrition fiend, and seriously hope I couldn't possibly have a deficiency that wouldnt be obvious... From Jan 2018 to Sept., I was on 80 mgs Levothyroxin. Prior to that, I was on NatureThroid, was dispensed 125 mg Levothyroxin, 60 mg, then 100 , then Armour, then combos of Levothy and Leothione, all differing doses and my life was a mess.
Gosh thankyou for asking that question, I find myself naturally wanting to forego eating breakfast, going 12-14 hrs fast from midnight to noon next day, maybe 2x a week, Why are women more at risk than men? and, at risk for...what?
I am still in the position of trial and error and study regarding thyroid. Reading the 32 page thread started by Haidut is confusing to me still, as posters dose with meals, while I was counseled by the pharmacist to never eat within an hour of taking thyroid supps. Most Peaters are seeking solutions for greater energy production, yet the long thread indicates people falling asleep after taking their dose. I don't understand it yet. I am combining diet, red light and supps to dial in thyroid on my own, and other Idealabs ideas for the circulation.
It's said to mess with the menstrual cycle. Women do it, but I think something is adjusted to ensure it doesn't affect them negatively.

rei

Do you have a source for this claim? Each study i have seen on IF and even ramadan ultra long fasting shows zero T3 effect with T4 ever so slightly down.

rei

The study design could not be worse, thyroid effect you claim is from bad study design.

If anyone tries to do TRF using that protocol i understand how it could feel bad.

Queequeg

The study design could not be worse, thyroid effect you claim is from bad study design.

If anyone tries to do TRF using that protocol i understand how it could feel bad.
care to elaborate? what specifically is wrong with their protocol?

tankasnowgod

Basically, these studies found that people in their 80's and 90's tend to be hypothyroid. So, it's associated with getting older.

In no way does this show what their thyroid function was in their 20s, 40s, or 60s, or so on.

rei

care to elaborate? what specifically is wrong with their protocol?
Wrong food/macros for IF, no run-in period to put both groups in same metabolic situation. No salt or other mineral addition.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals