Mossy

Interesting, thank you. Would you say this hydroxy/adeno B12 would be a better way to supplement B12, in order to avoid overmethylation? I ask, because I have plenty of methylcobalamin already, but won't take it if it's no good.
P.S. I see you've noted Masterjohn as having vids and articles -- I'll look into this.

Mossy

Interesting, thank you. Would you say this hydroxy/adeno B12 would be a better way to supplement B12, in order to avoid overmethylation? I ask, because I have plenty of methylcobalamin already, but won't take it if it's no good.
I thought it may be helpful to others to share a quote I found on the amazon product page for this hydroxy/adeno B12:

"Adenosylcobalamin is Converted Methylcobalamin. Methylcobalamin converts homocysteine to methionine, which contributes a methyl-group to create adenosyl, and ultimately adenosylcobalamin. It assists in the Kreb's cycle. Those needing assistance with methylation benefit from adenosylcobalamin."

ddjd

Does this support one of peats basic points about methionine restriction extending life span?

ddjd

Would supplementing Creatine be a viable way to reduce Methylation?

J

jb116

Would supplementing Creatine be a viable way to reduce Methylation?
Yes it is.

To add: high methionine can actually interrupt creatine synthesis. So if you're not cutting down on methionine, taking creatine is a good way to at least keep from overmethylation as well as not interfering with creatine levels.

ddjd

Yes it is.

To add: high methionine can actually interrupt creatine synthesis. So if you're not cutting down on methionine, taking creatine is a good way to at least keep from overmethylation as well as not interfering with creatine levels.
Doesn't creatine contain methionine?

J

jb116

Doesn't creatine contain methionine?
It uses methionine in its synthesis along with arginine and glycine. Glycine however is not burdened by this synthesis.
Methionine is depleted most.

Mito

Thanks, Mito.

Ok, if I understand correctly, I may need to supplement with B12, but if the B12 that I have is methylcobalamin it may contribute to overmethylation? So, maybe B12 from food would be better?
I avoid taking large doses of B12 supplements because only small doses get absorbed and the excess may feed gut bacteria.

“The B-12 that we consume is absorbed in the stomach, and under optimal circumstances, we can only absorb 1.5 – 1.6 μg at a time. So, what happens to the rest of it if it is not absorbed? When bacteria in the gut get a bolus of cobalamin how does that modulate the microbiome? Stomach acid is a huge factor in the absorption of B-12. What about people with hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) that are given oral B-12 treatments?”
https://fixyourgut.com/vitamin-b-12-gut-health/

Mito

Yes, and Angelina tested positive for the BRCA mutations so the doctors convinced her to get both of her breasts amputated, even though if genetics was really at play they should have advocated ovariectomy instead. Removing the breasts has been shown to increase risk for ovarian cancer so sadly Angeline may have inadvertently made her situation much worse.

This recent announcement by 23andMe unfortunately may convince others to do the same:
“I'm thrilled to share that today we received the first-ever FDA authorization for a direct-to-consumer genetic test for cancer risk. The authorization will allow us to provide information on three genetic variants found on the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes associated with increased risk for breast and ovarian cancer in women, and breast and prostate cancer in men.”

Mossy

I avoid taking large doses of B12 supplements because only small doses get absorbed and the excess may feed gut bacteria.

“The B-12 that we consume is absorbed in the stomach, and under optimal circumstances, we can only absorb 1.5 – 1.6 μg at a time. So, what happens to the rest of it if it is not absorbed? When bacteria in the gut get a bolus of cobalamin how does that modulate the microbiome? Stomach acid is a huge factor in the absorption of B-12. What about people with hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) that are given oral B-12 treatments?”
https://fixyourgut.com/vitamin-b-12-gut-health/
Oh, interesting--good to know. Do you have a thought about sublingual versions, whether this may pose less of a risk of feeding gut bacteria?

Mito

Oh, interesting--good to know. Do you have a thought about sublingual versions, whether this may pose less of a risk of feeding gut bacteria?
You would think very small amounts of the liquid product that @Nathan777 mentioned when taken sublingual wouldn’t reach the intestines in significant amounts.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This recent announcement by 23andMe unfortunately may convince others to do the same:
“I'm thrilled to share that today we received the first-ever FDA authorization for a direct-to-consumer genetic test for cancer risk. The authorization will allow us to provide information on three genetic variants found on the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes associated with increased risk for breast and ovarian cancer in women, and breast and prostate cancer in men.”

This is really sad. Not only because these tests really predict nothing but also because companies like 23andme will get to know who those "highly risky" people are and label them as "guaranteed" future cancer patients, and sell their info to the insurance companies for price discrimination or refusal of benefits. Not to mention selling their data to all the companies that have products/services to sell to people at risk of cancer. Eventually, this will of course finds its way into employment decisions as well.

LucyL

This is really sad. Not only because these tests really predict nothing but also because companies like 23andme will get to know who those "highly risky" people are and label them as "guaranteed" future cancer patients, and sell their info to the insurance companies for price discrimination or refusal of benefits. Not to mention selling their data to all the companies that have products/services to sell to people at risk of cancer. Eventually, this will of course finds its way into employment decisions as well.

Heh. I suspect a lot of lawsuits if they try to do that. The genetic counselor assigned to me said 23&me health stuff is really, really bad, and for sure they didn't pick up my CHEK2 deletion.

Removing the breasts has been shown to increase risk for ovarian cancer so sadly Angeline may have inadvertently made her situation much worse.

I'd like to see the studies that showed this. There are a lot of factors that could play into this, it would be interesting to see what all was controlled for.

steel_reserve

Factors that affect proopimelanocortin (POMC), melanocortins, micropthalmia-associated transciption factor (MITF) will affect the production of melanin pigment in the hair as well as skin.

Leptin is upstream of POMC and is probably one of the mechanisms good energy status (sufficient body fat and liver glycogen) influences libido (melanocortins increase dopamine signalling).
I don't know anything about what you just said. Would it surprise you that I have secondary hypogonadism and likely-related sleeping disorder?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals