"Failure Is An Essential Part Of Science"

Drareg

This is the interview with the author of book just out called "rigor Mortis", it's about how most research cannot be reproduced. Highly recommended reading this interview,the book looks good too.

http://retractionwatch.com/2017/04/...t-science-qa-author-new-book-reproducibility/

"RH: I remember being in the office of Anna Barker at Arizona State University and looking at a poster covered with print so small I could barely make it out. Barker told me those were the list of the 200 brain-cancer clinical trials, every one a failure. Most of the harm comes in this invisible form — diseases not cured, hopes not met. Occasionally people are actively harmed by these problems. For example, doctors prescribed hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progestin) to postmenopausal women for many years before they realized they were actually causing thousands of excess cases of breast cancer and heart disease. The failures of basic biomedical research are more subtle but arguably have greater impact".

If this kind of book is getting out there it must be part apology ,the preview pages I read have a mild tone of apology imo. It's probably the best way to reach all sides.

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is the interview with the author of book just out called "rigor Mortis", it's about how most research cannot be reproduced. Highly recommended reading this interview,the book looks good too.

"Failure is an essential part of science:" A Q&A with the author of a new book on reproducibility - Retraction Watch

"RH: I remember being in the office of Anna Barker at Arizona State University and looking at a poster covered with print so small I could barely make it out. Barker told me those were the list of the 200 brain-cancer clinical trials, every one a failure. Most of the harm comes in this invisible form — diseases not cured, hopes not met. Occasionally people are actively harmed by these problems. For example, doctors prescribed hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progestin) to postmenopausal women for many years before they realized they were actually causing thousands of excess cases of breast cancer and heart disease. The failures of basic biomedical research are more subtle but arguably have greater impact".

If this kind of book is getting out there it must be part apology ,the preview pages I read have a mild tone of apology imo. It's probably the best way to reach all sides.

There was a recent big news headline on CNN about how the latest Alzheimer drug failed miserably. The article said there was serious concern among the researchers in the area if funding will even come for fiscal year 2018 since it was obvious even to laymen in Congress that the current theory on AD was nothing but a milking machine for taxpayers' money. The news article said it was very troubling and some of the poor researchers in AD had to get treated for depression as they were so sincerely afraid they will be soon unemployed.
What can I say, poor souls...

OP
Drareg

Drareg

There was a recent big news headline on CNN about how the latest Alzheimer drug failed miserably. The article said there was serious concern among the researchers in the area if funding will even come for fiscal year 2018 since it was obvious even to laymen in Congress that the current theory on AD was nothing but a milking machine for taxpayers' money. The news article said it was very troubling and some of the poor researchers in AD had to get treated for depression as they were so sincerely afraid they will be soon unemployed.
What can I say, poor souls...

He covers this topic in the book,how even the researchers are fed up with seeing family,friends and possibly themselves end up with one of the diseases,politicians the same, many people don't know the elites most feared disease is Alzheimers,it's the pinnacle of humiliation for those in power.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals