Extreme Carotenemia From Sweet Potatoes

julcreutz

I'm "suffering" from quite extreme carotenemia. It's around my chin, along my nose and between my eyebrows. It's not so noticeable in normal lighting conditions, but when I use my flashlight on my face and make a photo, I look like a sweet potato myself.

It's troublesome because sweet potatoes are among the only carbohydrates I've found to be tolerated by my body. I know I have to lower my consumption of them, and I will. I have no access to white flesh ones.

I've read that carotenemia can develop at only 30mg of beta carotene a day, and I'm eating well over 150mg.

Has anybody here also gotten carotenemia from the consumption of these high carotene vegetables?

jet9

It's troublesome because sweet potatoes are among the only carbohydrates I've found to be tolerated by my body. I know I have to lower my consumption of them, and I will. I have no access to white flesh ones.
Did you try / have access to:
-japanese sweet potato (often called korean - purple skin, white flesh)
-okinawa sweet potato (my fav, white skin, purple flesh)
-cassava
-squashes (butternut, etc; they are a little lighter on carb content than sweet potatoes but still work)
?

julcreutz

Did you try / have access to:
-japanese sweet potato (often called korean - purple skin, white flesh)
-okinawa sweet potato (my fav, white skin, purple flesh)
-cassava
-squashes (butternut, etc; they are a little lighter on carb content than sweet potatoes but still work)
?
I have no access to japanese or okinawa sweet potatoes, nor cassava. I have an immune reaction to squash.
I cut out beta carotene completly and the orange skin is fading slowsly.

sugarbabe

Carotenemia is not benign. You can't just keep eating it and expect your body to deal. Plus sweet potatoes are super fibrous, have you seen the strings of fiber? How is it the ONLY carb you can eat?

gaze

high b12 foods, calcium foods, and vitamin D will be your best bet to fix it as quick as possible

ursidae

I’ve gotten carotenemia from those. It was more obvious in me because of what I believe is called “retention hyperkeratosis”. The strange layer of skin on my face that other people did not form in less than 24 hours was orange. When it got more extreme my lips would also start cracking and bleeding which is happening now again after some yellow carrot/sweet potato/squash consumption. physical or chemical exfoliation would reveal a regular coloured layer of skin underneath. After stopping carrots and lowering beta carotene intake the layer returned to normal colour relatively quickly. Do you exfoliate those areas and is the skin underneath orange?

Have you tried parsnips or chestnuts?

Last edited:

julcreutz

Carotenemia is not benign. You can't just keep eating it and expect your body to deal. Plus sweet potatoes are super fibrous, have you seen the strings of fiber? How is it the ONLY carb you can eat?
It is fibrous, but I seem to digest them fairly well.
Yes, all other carbs I get immune reactions to.

I’ve gotten carotenemia from those. It was more obvious in me because of what I believe is called “retention hyperkeratosis”. The strange layer of skin on my face that other people did not form in less than 24 hours was orange. When it got more extreme my lips would also start cracking and bleeding which is happening now again after some yellow carrot/sweet potato/squash consumption. physical or chemical exfoliation would reveal a regular coloured layer of skin underneath. After stopping carrots and lowering beta carotene intake the layer returned to normal colour relatively quickly. Do you exfoliate those areas and is the skin underneath orange?

Have you tried parsnips or chestnuts?
I do wash my face everday with water.
I have not tried parsnips or chestnuts. They are great ideas, I haven't thought of them yet!