Exposure To Fluoride Actually Damages Teeth, Even At Low Concentrations

haidut

Forum Supporter
Most adults are familiar with the much-publicized (and advertised) claims of public health authorities about the purported benefits of fluoride exposure for dental health. The official story is that by adding fluoride to tap water, people's teeth are exposed to "low" concentration of fluoride, which has a strengthening effect on the enamel and makes it resistant to future damage by acid in the oral cavity. However, even the corrupt public health authorities readily admit that fluoride exposure has a very narrow therapeutic range and in higher concentrations fluoride is actually known to damage the enamel (not to mention the thyroid, reproductive organs, brain, heart, etc) and cause a condition known as dental fluorosis (DF).

Why did I put "low" in quotation marks above. Well, the study below confirms that short-term exposure to high concentrations of fluoride quickly damages the enamel and this effect is caused by a combination of extracellular calcium depletion as well as inhibition of mitochondrial function. Both of these are known effect of fluoride. However, another striking finding of the study was that chronic exposure to fluoride concentrations several times lower than the currently approved standards for fluoride content in tap water also caused similar enamel damage. Let's see if this study gets replicated by another group but so far it looks like there is no "low" or "safe" level of fluoride exposure and the story we have been fed by public health authorities on dental benefit of fluoride may be yet another medical scam.

How too much fluoride causes defects in tooth enamel: Changes within enamel cells point to mechanism by which excessive fluoride leads to fluorosis
Fluoride exposure alters Ca2+ signaling and mitochondrial function in enamel cells

"...Enamel crystals develop in specialized extracellular compartments modulated by the activities of epithelial cells, known as ameloblasts, during the secretory and maturation stages of enamel development (6–8). Ameloblasts coordinate the transport of ions required for the growth of crystal (7, 8). The effects of fluoride incorporation during enamel development are reversed when excessive fluoride intake occurs, posing a health problem known as dental fluorosis (DF) (3, 9, 10). Rather than strengthening the bonds between enamel crystals, excessive fluoride disrupts mineralization, resulting in pitted enamel with white opaque surfaces and hypomineralization (3, 9, 11, 12). DF is exclusively a developmental defect and has a major effect worldwide: ~30% of the U.S. population and ~60 million people in India are affected by DF with varying degrees of severity (2, 13). Therefore, the current recommendation for daily fluoride intake is less than 1.0 ppm (parts per million), with water fluoridation not exceeding 0.7 ppm (0.7 mg/L, ~37 uM/L) (14)."

"...We showed that fluoride treatment resulted in lower intracellular Ca2+ pools in primary secretory and maturation stage EO cells of rat incisors and in LS8 cells. Furthermore, SOCE was abnormally low in all fluoride-treated enamel cells (Fig. 1, A and B)...We found that prolonged treatment but not transient treatment of LS8 cells with fluoride (1 mM/L or 10 uM/L) slowed the release of IP3-sensitive ER Ca2+ pools."

"...Maximal respiration elicited by FCCP, which forces H+ across the inner mitochondrial membrane instead of through the ATP synthase, was also substantially lower in fluoride-treated cells, indicating that fluoride modified cellular bioenergetics."

"...In summary, this study investigated how fluoride affected the intracellular milieu of enamel cells. The effects of fluoride were wide ranging and complex. Fluoride affected Ca2+ homeostasis but not in all cells. Because transient application of fluoride disrupted m but did not immediately affect IP3R-mediated ER Ca2+ release, we suggest that the dysregulation of Ca2+ homeostasis by fluoride in enamel cells is initiated in the mitochondria (Fig. 6). The subsequent disruption of the transmembrane potential for hydrogen ions, which is required for ATP synthesis, results in decreased ATP levels. Such a decrease in ATP limits SERCA function, and as a result, there is a decline in ER Ca2+ content. These detrimental defects are compounded by a down-regulation of MRPs. SOCE is attenuated because of low ATP levels, up-regulation of Saraf, or mitochondrial dysfunction. Together, our data provide a potential mechanism for DF."

Luann

I hope that as many people as possible see this post, I would consider it breaking news in a way

However, another striking finding of the study was that chronic exposure to fluoride concentrations several times lower than the currently approved standards for fluoride content in tap water also caused similar enamel damage. Let's see if this study gets replicated by another group but so far it looks like there is no "low" or "safe" level of fluoride exposure and the story we have been fed by public health authorities on dental benefit of fluoride may be yet another medical scam.

How too much fluoride causes defects in tooth enamel: Changes within enamel cells point to mechanism by which excessive fluoride leads to fluorosis
Fluoride exposure alters Ca2+ signaling and mitochondrial function in enamel cells

David PS

I have been avoiding municipal water for a long time. The resource that I used to find a spring locally is Find A Spring - Home
I love these generic URLs that actually work.

Xemnoraq

Most adults are familiar with the much-publicized (and advertised) claims of public health authorities about the purported benefits of fluoride exposure for dental health. The official story is that by adding fluoride to tap water, people's teeth are exposed to "low" concentration of fluoride, which has a strengthening effect on the enamel and makes it resistant to future damage by acid in the oral cavity. However, even the corrupt public health authorities readily admit that fluoride exposure has a very narrow therapeutic range and in higher concentrations fluoride is actually known to damage the enamel (not to mention the thyroid, reproductive organs, brain, heart, etc) and cause a condition known as dental fluorosis (DF).

Why did I put "low" in quotation marks above. Well, the study below confirms that short-term exposure to high concentrations of fluoride quickly damages the enamel and this effect is caused by a combination of extracellular calcium depletion as well as inhibition of mitochondrial function. Both of these are known effect of fluoride. However, another striking finding of the study was that chronic exposure to fluoride concentrations several times lower than the currently approved standards for fluoride content in tap water also caused similar enamel damage. Let's see if this study gets replicated by another group but so far it looks like there is no "low" or "safe" level of fluoride exposure and the story we have been fed by public health authorities on dental benefit of fluoride may be yet another medical scam.

"...Enamel crystals develop in specialized extracellular compartments modulated by the activities of epithelial cells, known as ameloblasts, during the secretory and maturation stages of enamel development (6–8). Ameloblasts coordinate the transport of ions required for the growth of crystal (7, 8). The effects of fluoride incorporation during enamel development are reversed when excessive fluoride intake occurs, posing a health problem known as dental fluorosis (DF) (3, 9, 10). Rather than strengthening the bonds between enamel crystals, excessive fluoride disrupts mineralization, resulting in pitted enamel with white opaque surfaces and hypomineralization (3, 9, 11, 12). DF is exclusively a developmental defect and has a major effect worldwide: ~30% of the U.S. population and ~60 million people in India are affected by DF with varying degrees of severity (2, 13). Therefore, the current recommendation for daily fluoride intake is less than 1.0 ppm (parts per million), with water fluoridation not exceeding 0.7 ppm (0.7 mg/L, ~37 uM/L) (14)."

"...We showed that fluoride treatment resulted in lower intracellular Ca2+ pools in primary secretory and maturation stage EO cells of rat incisors and in LS8 cells. Furthermore, SOCE was abnormally low in all fluoride-treated enamel cells (Fig. 1, A and B)...We found that prolonged treatment but not transient treatment of LS8 cells with fluoride (1 mM/L or 10 uM/L) slowed the release of IP3-sensitive ER Ca2+ pools."

"...Maximal respiration elicited by FCCP, which forces H+ across the inner mitochondrial membrane instead of through the ATP synthase, was also substantially lower in fluoride-treated cells, indicating that fluoride modified cellular bioenergetics."

"...In summary, this study investigated how fluoride affected the intracellular milieu of enamel cells. The effects of fluoride were wide ranging and complex. Fluoride affected Ca2+ homeostasis but not in all cells. Because transient application of fluoride disrupted m but did not immediately affect IP3R-mediated ER Ca2+ release, we suggest that the dysregulation of Ca2+ homeostasis by fluoride in enamel cells is initiated in the mitochondria (Fig. 6). The subsequent disruption of the transmembrane potential for hydrogen ions, which is required for ATP synthesis, results in decreased ATP levels. Such a decrease in ATP limits SERCA function, and as a result, there is a decline in ER Ca2+ content. These detrimental defects are compounded by a down-regulation of MRPs. SOCE is attenuated because of low ATP levels, up-regulation of Saraf, or mitochondrial dysfunction. Together, our data provide a potential mechanism for DF."
Its interesting reading these posts on fluoride Georgi because ive been struggling with some dental issues lately symptoms line up alot with fluorosis, the white spots etc. I thought for the longest time maybe its the sugar or maybe its the acidic OJ. I decided to think more deeply about the food and drinks i had been consuming, then i thought what about fluoride? Being that a huge portion of my diet had consisted of orange juice and other fruit juices for a long time, i made a connection, most juices are made from concentrate, which involves adding water back into juice. The water that thats added to fruit juices is usually shitty water, sometimes tap water, water thats likely filled with fluoride. I did some research and lots of researchers have looked at different fruit juices and found alarmingly high cincentrations of fluoride in it. So maybe my heavy consumption of fruit juices contaminated with fluoride had something to do with with my dental issues, i guess not even fruit juice is safe anymore, not to mention all the juice now comes im plastic. Not only that i had been a frequent coffee drinker buying coffee from local stores to go, forgetting that most of the time they just use tap water as their water in coffee, its crazy this fluoride ***t is really a problem

:M :B.

"I think daily use of fluoride is likely to be harmful to the gums, but applying it occasionally to the teeth can harden the enamel, improving its resistance to cavities. I think the alkaline effect of baking soda is helpful for thorough cleaning."-Ray. In the email exchange.
Georgi do you know why Ray said this? There must be something behind it right or did he miss one here.

burtlancast

"I think daily use of fluoride is likely to be harmful to the gums, but applying it occasionally to the teeth can harden the enamel, improving its resistance to cavities.
Ray's rationale was that a tiny occasional fluoride supplement would cover a hypothetical fluoride deficiency in the organism.

What he forgot is fluoride concentrations in plants is skyrocketing because the increased concentrations in fluoride gazes and water following coal burning.

Black and green tea have seen their natural fluoride concentrations multiply by this phenomenon.

There's plenty of fluoride everywhere already: no need to supplement for your teeth.

dukesbobby777

"I think daily use of fluoride is likely to be harmful to the gums, but applying it occasionally to the teeth can harden the enamel, improving its resistance to cavities. I think the alkaline effect of baking soda is helpful for thorough cleaning."-Ray. In the email exchange.
Georgi do you know why Ray said this? There must be something behind it right or did he miss one here.

Yeah, Ray once said that to me as well in an email and is the reason I very briefly expose my teeth to fluoride once per week. During my zero fluoride phase, my dentist also mentioned that not using fluoride toothpaste would cause my enamel to deteriorate. I think once a week is OK, so I'm going to continue with it.

Xemnoraq

Im surprised this post didnt get more responses, Georgi, for the last couple years now ive been dealing with tooth decay issues, it started with these solid opaque white lines & spots at the base of my gums, i have been trying to figure out forever what could possibly cause that. I have been eating healthy Peat inspired pro metabolic for years now. At first i thought, well what if its all the white sugar im eating? It doesnt make sense to think that knowing sugar does not harm enamel unless it is overfeeding bacteria in the mouth, i never really bought the sugar is bad for teeth arguement. Then i thought well what if its the orange juice acidity?

The issue with a peat inspired diet is it puts a huge emphasis on drinking orange juice and fruit juices etc. However the problem with this is most juices if theyre from concentrate have water added to them & this is fluoridated water. Same thing when we buy coffees from local coffee shops. So myself i had been on a predominantly liquid diet for a while back when my gut issues were really severe. My diet was mainly tons of fruit juice milk & cheese.

Anyway looking back knowing all this information about fluoride now i suspect i might have dental fluorosis from just guzzling tons of 2L fruit juices with fluoridated water added in. Because my diet was mostly fruit juice i had probably consumed far more fluoridated water than most people around.

So ive boycotted pretty much all processed food so no more fruit juices for this reason unless its not from concentrate and in a glass jar.

Thats another thing too with the emphasis on oj and fruit juice in a peat style diet is all of the juice in the shelf now at grocery stores are all packaged in this bull**** plastic containers. So not only are we getting fluoridated by them were getting plastics in us its bull****. I wonder if Ray ever thought about that when he was alive if he was cauntious of choosing plastic free non concentrate juice?

Anyway i could see how alot of people following a Ray Peat style diet could make this mistake of loading up on fluoride by consuming so much fruit juice that has water in the ingredients. Thanks for this post Georgi youre the man.

Do you have any suggestions on how to accelerate getting fluoride out of the body to fix dental fluorosis?

From my understanding, it seems that calcium in the main protective agent in remineralizing teeth (so lots of milk) and also more calcium helps replace bone tissue, & also if i just stop poisoning myself with fluoride eventually my enamel should be able to recover and the white lessions i imagine would fade after getting rid of the fluoride. Unfortunately not sure if theres much i can do about teeth that have already had parts of them decayed off i have one tooth thats missing a chunk, im sure theres gotta be a way teeth can regrow who knows

Xemnoraq

Oh also i forgot to mention, apparently some governments now are manditorily adding fluoride to salt, im not sure if its listed in the ingredients but it might be worth looking into the fluoride content in different types of salt. Secondly i also heard some governments are considering adding fluoride to milk, these people in charge of this are absolutely insane.

Michael Mohn

In Germany the addition of fluoride to the tab water is verboten, luckily. There is public awareness about the risk of use of fluoride in toothpaste. You can buy brands of toothpaste marked 'no fluoride'.
But a lot of dentists recommend the use of it.