Explain Crabtree effect.

Why do so many high fat guys use it as a argument against carbs?
How can it be avoided on a high carb diet?

Parsifal

Ray Peat said:
Ammonia, like nitric oxide, inhibits respiration, and can increase the Crabtree effect (with aerobic glycolysis stimulated by increased glucose, inhibiting respiration). This suggests an important role for it in cancer in general, and especially in liver cancer. In the uncontrolled glycolysis of cancer, ammonia can be used to form amino acids from the lactate and pyruvate produced by glycolysis, supporting growth of the tumor at the expense of the normal tissues that are producing ammonia by protein degradation.”

Fermentable fibers raise ammonia. Read what Ray Peat wrote on endotoxins.
Growth hormone tends to increase ammonia levels.
Stress and too much activity promotes growth hormone.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gr ... mone.shtml

I guess that insulin has something to do here too as well as anything that is interupting metabolism like PUFAs. As fructose is directly converted to pyruvate it will not have any of these effects?

Maybe too much proteins will increase the Crabtree effect?

:hattip

tara

I've been wondering about this too.
I guess this is one of the mechanisms of harm operating in hyperglycemia, eg in diabetes?

High blood glucose does not necessarily correlate with high carbohydrate intake. I guess it is more about how well you burn the sugars you feed into the system, as much as how much you feed in?

Some people can eat very large amounts of carbs, and get only brief elevated blood glucose, because they dispose of it so efficiently. I think Matt Stone has reported some cases of people training this over a few weeks or months.

Some people who eat VLC get high fasting blood glucose, presumably because cortisol is overactive in the absence of adequate carb intake.

High blood glucose can also result from high fat intake, too, because inhibition of sugar oxidation by the fat (Randle) leaves the sugar unused, right?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals