Expired(vinegar Smelling)aspirin Probably As Good Or Even Better Than Fresh Aspirin?

paymanz

ray peat said:
Aspirin rapidly breaks down into acetic acid and salicylic acid (which is found in many fruits), and salicylic acid is protective to the stomach and intestine, and other organs.

does aspirin itself before getting broken down to these to substances has any therapeutic effect which is not attainable with salicylic acid?

Salicylic acid - Wikipedia
It can also be prepared by the hydrolysis of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid)[29]

to me its like when you dissolve aspirin in water(the way ray recommends) it just same as expired aspirin.

or there is a difference that im not aware of?

Last edited:
OP
P

paymanz

and why not just using salicylic acid?they call it vitamin b11 , i didnt know that!

i read that aspirin acts as a prodrug to salicylic acid.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That quote caught my eye too. Thank you for bringing it up.

tomisonbottom

and why not just using salicylic acid?they call it vitamin b11 , i didnt know that!

i read that aspirin acts as a prodrug to salicylic acid.

I assume that if salicylic acid was better than aspirin he'd say so........there's probably a benefit of the combination of the two acids.

does aspirin itself before getting broken down to these to substances has any therapeutic effect which is not attainable with salicylic acid?

Salicylic acid - Wikipedia

to me its like when you dissolve aspirin in water(the way ray recommends) it just same as expired aspirin.

or there is a difference that im not aware of?
I think the reason to dissolve in water is to get rid of impurities, like talc. I don't know that it has anything to do with separating the acids, although I'm curious why you think expired aspirin is better?

This quote from peat indicates you DON'T want it to smell like vinegar (decompose) :
"If the aspirin smells like vinegar it's decomposing, otherwise the expiration date doesn't matter. I have some aspirin, USP, that's at least 10 years old that's still good. "

I found this thread because I recently got bulk aspirin powder and it has no smell or taste; whereas the gericare brand I've always used has always had a sour taste. I'm wondering if that means I've been taking bad aspirin this whole time.

Does your aspirin taste sour/bitter?

OP
P

paymanz

I assume that if salicylic acid was better than aspirin he'd say so........there's probably a benefit of the combination of the two acids.

I think the reason to dissolve in water is to get rid of impurities, like talc. I don't know that it has anything to do with separating the acids, although I'm curious why you think expired aspirin is better?

This quote from peat indicates you DON'T want it to smell like vinegar (decompose) :
"If the aspirin smells like vinegar it's decomposing, otherwise the expiration date doesn't matter. I have some aspirin, USP, that's at least 10 years old that's still good. "

I found this thread because I recently got bulk aspirin powder and it has no smell or taste; whereas the gericare brand I've always used has always had a sour taste. I'm wondering if that means I've been taking bad aspirin this whole time.

Does your aspirin taste sour/bitter?
Active metabolite of aspirin is salicylic acid,apparently.

When aspirin hydrolysed in presence of water or dampness it decomposes into salicylic acid and acetic acid, and acetic acid is why it smells like vinegar.

And the point is that it decomposes as soon as you ingest :it and it contacts with your bodily fluids.

So it probably has all benefits of salicylic acid.

OP
P

paymanz

And maybe its less damaging to stomach lining than aspirin itself.