Experimenting with potatoes

Sheik

I blended some potatoes in the blender with some water and poured the mixture in a nut milk bag to filter and squeeze the juice out of the remainder (leaving the starch + potato juice + water in the bowl).

Does anyone know if the remainder of dry potato in the bag has any nutritional value? Is all of the high quality "protein" in the bowl? Is there a lot of starch in the remainder?

I basically want to make mashed potatoes without starch, IF the remainder isn't unhealthy.

OP
S

Sheik

I suppose it will be better when I've at least removed some of the starch. Probably most of it.

jyb

Boiling the potato in water will extract some minerals, in fact it will drain most of the potassium out of the potato. You might not get the same results if you don't let it sit for a while in very hot water. If you grated some potato finely, like you'd do with a carrot, and boiled it in water, then maybe you'd get some more stuff. The liquid will have a slightly gelatinous texture. As part of a meal I sometimes like to boil a large amount of grated potatoes, drink all the liquid, have a serving of the starch for a bit of glucose, then ditch the rest of the starch. Grating the potato also means it will cook faster, so I don't have to wait an hour for it to be ready.